Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ELP: Tarkus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 15:40
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tarkus is my favorite.  (Until I play Trilogy. Smile)

So true ! Thumbs Up

(f*ck craptcha)

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2018 at 15:44
yeah... good old Trilogy....  I have such conflicted feelings about that album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 03:56
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Gezz micky, don't leave us hanging like some soap opera, what's your deal with Trilogy?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 07:06
I normally don't like showing off of skills, but never has this been done in a more archetypical and iconic way than on the title track and I can't not love it for that. I can well do without the rest of the album.

Edited by Lewian - September 26 2018 at 10:18
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 16:51

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Gezz micky, don't leave us hanging like some soap opera, what's your deal with Trilogy?

I think it is their best and most consistent album from start to finish, thus it is also my least favorite of their classic albums.  

I love ELP for the highs.. and for the lows.. that is a sign of band aiming high. Sometimes hitting .. sometimes not

consistency to me stinks of mediocrity and lack of talent and creativity. 

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 17:40
^ Interesting.   I find flaws to be important too, imperfections add a humanity and realness, and is actually crucial in rock music.   Zeppelin understood that, as did Hendrix.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2018 at 18:46
Good music can have flaws but bad music is just bad.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 02:17
Is it in biographies of interviews about how Greg Lake came around to the magnificent title track?
(PS I use Lenovo Tablet and get 0% Captcha!)

Edited by AZF - September 27 2018 at 02:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 03:57
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Think I'll use that as my new signature!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 14:12

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Think I'll use that as my new signature!

Not until you pay up what you owe me for the previous one........!!!!!!!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2018 at 15:44
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Tarkus is my favorite.  (Until I play Trilogy. Smile)

So true ! Thumbs Up

(f*ck craptcha)

That's exactly how I'd feel about as well if it weren't for Brain Salad Surgery! For me they get better with each studio album through the first 4, and then kind of fall off a cliff after that. 

As far as 'craptcha' I ALWAYS copy my posts now before pressing the "Post Reply" button. And don't ever try to post on here with your phone(at least never works for me), only laptop. Also uncheck Enable BBcodes. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2018 at 00:45
^ I'm prepared to stick up for Works Vol One as Pirates is one of my favourite ELP tracks and most of the album is top notch apart from maybe one or two tracks. It doesn't gel for sure but really the quality was still very much apparent. Love Beach was the cliff Embarrassed

Edited by richardh - October 02 2018 at 00:46
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 00:16
I donīt fully understand, why I didnīt get more into ELP in eighties, when I got into Floyd, Rush, Wigwam, Genesis, Yes & Jethro Tull. My brother got Pictures at cassette and I really liked it (until I released how much of the original great music they have left out). I remember to seen Tarkus in the same record shop where I bought my albums and I watched it. But I remeber also heard some of their studio song (maybe from first album or from Trilogy) from the radio and that didnīt sound me very great. So maybe I decided to put my very small money then into those other great bands, also I donīt remember anybody having ELP albums to borrow.

Anyway I have listened those first 5 ELP album quite recently, I like first and Trilogy the most, maybe I have to listen them more. And have to say EMERSON SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN HAMMOND.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 12:34
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I donīt fully understand, why I didnīt get more into ELP in eighties, when I got into Floyd, Rush, Wigwam, Genesis, Yes & Jethro Tull. My brother got Pictures at cassette and I really liked it (until I released how much of the original great music they have left out). I remember to seen Tarkus in the same record shop where I bought my albums and I watched it. But I remeber also heard some of their studio song (maybe from first album or from Trilogy) from the radio and that didnīt sound me very great. So maybe I decided to put my very small money then into those other great bands, also I donīt remember anybody having ELP albums to borrow.

Anyway I have listened those first 5 ELP album quite recently, I like first and Trilogy the most, maybe I have to listen them more. And have to say EMERSON SHOULD HAVE STAYED IN HAMMOND.
The beauty of recorded music is that it can always be returned to at a later date, sort of like a time capsule that's been waiting years for you to find it again.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 15:32
If I am in a good mood, I'd round the rating of Tarkus up to 4 stars. The epic on side one is a masterpiece. On the other hand, side 2 averages a Meh+ level, varying from mediocre to decent.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2018 at 16:55
I bought "Welcome Back My Friends..." about a year before Tarkus so it was a real shock to hear the title track played so slowly.  The studio version always sounds so tame in comparison...because of that, Tarkus is probably my least listened to of all the pre-Works albums.  That said, Bitches Crystal & A Time and a Place are a couple of my fave early ELP tracks and I think Jeremy Bender & Are You Ready Eddy are good fun Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - October 03 2018 at 16:55
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2018 at 07:36
I love Side Two and will never understand the hate. I know Side One is better but so what?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12