1 [12.50%]
1 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British puppet series for youngsters
    Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:21
I pick these similar styled series

They all have things in common. Absurd actions, wierd ethic values - often have many wierd fan theories.

Some are seems to be made through filters of acid. Also some might also be tad anoying.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:31
What, no P & J ?

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:32
I pick ony these six
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:34
It was time for Thomas to leave. He had seen everything.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:38
Thomas the Tank Engine rules....  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 16:38
I am more into "Thunderbirds" or "Stingray".

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 18:40
I hadn't thought about Thomas the Tank Engine as a puppet show. I used to enjoy watching that with my son, and went to a special Thomas the Tank Engine event when he was very small (know the theme tune lyrics by heart).

I'm with Friede on Gerry (and Sylvia) Anderson's Supermarionation shows, though my pick would be Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHOWdHjBRw When I think of British puppetry, I automatically think of Anderson.

An interesting one that I discovered more recently is Torchy the Battery Boy (1960-1961) which also involved Gerry Anderson and I found rather disturbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2k0Ur5YL9Y

And I grew up watching Rainbow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgbcQIT7BMc

EDIT: Posted wrong version of Rainbow, the other was a fake rude voiceover, whereas this is one that the cast and crew made as a private Christmas tape for their own Christmas party amusement -- later it was leaked to the public.

Edited by Logan - October 16 2018 at 10:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 18:50
^ the Captain for me too--  we didn't really get it in the States until the '80s and it was such a bizarre and weird-looking show.

Speaking of Gerry & Sylvia, been watching reruns of Space:1999 which I used to like, then hated with a passion, and now find watchable again.   That's watchable.   It's still boring as hell most of the time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 19:13
I've had much the same experience with "Space:1999". At least Space: 1999's opening credits (and theme music) still brings me some tingle of excitement. I always preferred his "UFO".
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 19:17
Space 1999? That is some good old school stuff there...  I have good memories of it.. especially the Eagle spacecraft I got as a toy for Xmas till my dad ran it flat in the driveway...

Nostalgia rules however and I haven't seen it since.. well.. whenever it went off the air.  Not sure how it would view today...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 21:21

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 13:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Space 1999? That is some good old school stuff there...  I have good memories of it.. especially the Eagle spacecraft I got as a toy for Xmas till my dad ran it flat in the driveway...

I remember that, the big one that had the detachable cockpit and rocket engines?  One of the better toys back then (as by the mid-70s GI Joe had become both lower quality and politically incorrect).

But yeah, UFO was a more compelling show.   And there was ...

Journey to the Far Side of the Sun POSTER Movie (1969) Style A 11 x 14 Inches - 28cm x 36cm (Roy Thinnes)(Ian Hendry)(Lynn Loring)(Patrick Wymark)(Loni von Friedl)(Herbert Lom)(Ed Bishop)

Known as Doppelganger in Europe

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 15:39
yeah that was the one... that thing was cool. Still remember it well even after all these years...

Edited by micky - October 16 2018 at 15:39
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 16:22
Thomas the Tank because Ringo was the Conductor.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 18:33
damn this poll...   I have had the urge to start watching Wiggles youtube clips.. now that was a kick ass Kid's show...  

go captain feathersword ahoy.....
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 15:43
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 15:38
All the Gerry and Sylvia Anderson stuff was diamond regardless of the series and of course any of the Oliver Postgate- Peter Firmin stuff (ie the Clangers, Poggles wood etc) was THE TOPS though of course strictly speaking they were stop frame animation using puppets or cut outs. Through the connection with postgate/firmin, Ivor wood was involved in one of my favourites (the adventures of Parsley and the Herbs) and Postman pat so PP gets the vote from me :)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 16:47
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

That is absolutely groovy, boss man !

PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 08:12
Peppa Pig Tongue

Nah

Thomas the Tank Engine was my childhood watch
CYMRU AM BYTH
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 09:30
Charlie Chalk is very imaginative and crazy
 Post Reply Post Reply