Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concerts Missed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:08
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Bowie. I could have seen him many times, but life...

Ouch.  I went to see Bowie in '78 on the Hero's Tour hoping Fripp would be with the band just like he toured with Gabriel in '77.  No Fripp, but this crazy guitarist named Adrian Belew instead LOL  Add Roger Powell on keyboards plus long time Bowie guys Carlos Alamar on rhythm and Dennis Chambers on drums and it was a great band.  They opened with Heroes and got better and better with each song...great show.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 12:25
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Tull - Passion Play tour - Berkeley Community Theater 1973
6) UK - debut album tour - Sacramento 1978 (saw the Danger Money tour in '79 when they opened for Tull
'Tull's A Passion Play show was my first concert, and it was entrancing. Took a then girl friend to the 1979 Danger Money show, and after UK had finished the opening set, I whisked her out of her seat and said we were leaving, having heard 'Tull's Stormwatch with no great want to see it played live. Admittedly, a mistake, because it was the last live go-round for the majority of the classic line-up (Anderson, Barlow, Barre, and Evans [Jeffrey Hammond had departed in 1975]). Chalk it up for another missed show.

A Passion Play was your first show?  Congratulations Thumbs Up  I consider the APP, Lamb and Tales tours as the big 3 in prog history...and I missed them all by a couple years...oh well.  

As far as the Stormwatch show, the stage set was very cool and made up like the deck of an old sailing ship with masts, rope ladders, etc.  The bad thing was the night before the Oakland show, some moron had thrown something at the stage and hit Ian in the eye.  He wore sunglasses during the whole Oakland show which eliminated one of Ian's greatest performance tools...his crazy bugeye looks and expressions.  Because of that, the show had this weird feel...like it was Ian but he was performing with one arm (or one eye) tied behind his back.

Here's a couple shots I took during the show:

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 23:00
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Just a list of shows not attended that would have enhanced my life immensely. A little rote, sure, with no mention of some of the littler acts touring through the years. The ones listed were a good place to start, and I'm sure I missed a few others in the endeavor. By the way, thanks to Setlist.fm.

1. Yes, Fragile Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 03/18/72 - With Bruford in tow, even. Classic era for the band.
2. Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Tour, Balboa Stadium (now demolished), 09/01/73 - Heard it was
    a real party.
3. George Harrison and Ravi Shankar, Dark Horse Tour, The Forum, Inglewood, Calif., 11/11-12/1974 - Would
    have been a great chance to see the former Beatle. Those who went said it was epic.
4. Frank Zappa, 1974 4th American Tour, Long Beach Arena, 12/31/1974 - A rare West Coast outing that
    should have been a station of the cross to catch. Damn.
5. Genesis, 'Lamb Lies Down On Broadway Tour, Civic Theater, San Diego, Calif., 01/25/75 - Crowd apathy
    was reported by a few I knew who were there to the point that one could walk up to the front of the stage
    by mid-point and watch the band close up.
6. Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 04/21/75 - If you weren't there, use your
    imagination.
7. Peter Gabriel, Car Tour, The Roxy Theater, Los Angeles, Calif., 04/8-10/77 - He was said to be dancing on
    tabletops. Saw him there the following year, but it only served to remind me of this missed opportunity.
8. Genesis, 'Trick of the Tail Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 05/03/76 - Oh, to have seen this show (with
    Bruford in tow). Probably the band at its musically live zenith.
9. Genesis, Wind and Wuthering Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 03/26/77 - The last chance to see Hackett
    with his old bandmates.
10. Pink Floyd, Animals Tour, Anaheim Stadium, 05/06-07/77 - That's right. The one with the floating pig.
      According to many fans, a big year for the Floyds. Could have gone, but I didn't have the scratch at the
      time and had to be content with a few attending buddies who really rubbed it in later.

Honorable Mention: Led Zeppelin, 1977 North American Tour, San Diego Sports Arena, 06/19/77 - the last
      time the band hit the West Coast. And if you missed this date, you could travel north to The Forum a
      couple of nights later where the band played six dates.

I envy you having had the chance to see all of these concerts, and hate you for missing them    Yes from touring Fragile and Pink Floyd touring Wish you were Here and Animals... I can hardly think of anything I would have liked to be able to have seen better (well, some other Yes concerts later on, like touring for CttE and for Going for the One, and perhaps King Crimson touring for their debut and the tours done with Wetton and David Cross).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2018 at 23:05
I guess I might have been able to see Yes on their last tour with Wakeman and Anderson, but I was just getting into the band and wasn't aware that I would have wanted to see them until too late. I was getting excited for their next tour, until Anderson fell ill and everything went downhill from there... instead I got to see them with Benoit David later on... not the same thing at all. If I stretch it, I might even have gotten to see Floyd's last tour, but I really wasn't into music yet at the time (let alone Pink Floyd in particular, though they were one of the very first bands I got seriously into). And in a rather different scene, I was just ready to see Nightwish with Floor Jansen when they toured for Imaginaerum (which ended up being my favourite album from them, and having Floor instead of Anette was a big plus), I even had my tickets already... but I ended up with some nasty complications that didn't allow me to attend at all.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 11:53
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I can hardly think of anything I would have liked to be able to have seen better (well, some other Yes concerts later on, like touring for CttE and for Going for the One, and perhaps King Crimson touring for their debut and the tours done with Wetton and David Cross).
Out of these, I was on my toes in seeing Going for the One.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12