Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greetings from Snicolette

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from Snicolette
    Posted: November 10 2018 at 17:49
Hello:

Snicolette (Nickie Harte Kelly) here.  Lucky to have been an active listener and concert-goer from the early days of progressive music.  Introduced to all sorts of music in a musical family with deep roots in San Pedro, CA.  I can remember seeing The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, although I was but 6.  Older sisters distributed flyers and posters for The Bank in Torrance, CA, where Pink Floyd played during a US tour in 1968.  Their involvement piqued my interest in psychedelia, at one point I was the psychedelic buyer for a used record store in the early 80's.  My first concert was The Moody Blues, with Spirit and Trapeze opening at The Forum in 1970.  Most favourite prog bands from early days are King Crimson, Jethro Tull, The Strawbs, ELP, Procol Harum, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Family, Camel, Frank Zappa, The Moody Blues and I saw these in concert many times.  I like bands/artists that mix in other cultures as well, such as Loreena McKennitt, Dead Can Dance, Alan Stivell, The Pentangle, Fairport Convention, Athy the Electric Harper Azam Ali and Mary Fahl.  Favourite psych and/or rock bands/artists are the US Kaleidoscope, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Fever Tree, Phil Ochs, Jefferson Airplane, Country Joe & The Fish, Pink Floyd, The Pretty Things (SF Sorrow period), Buffalo Springfield, The Sir Douglas Quintet, Tim Buckley, Pearls Before Swine.  More contemporary prog acts that I enjoy are Marillion, iamthemorning, Big Big Train, Riverside, Offa Rex, plus solo efforts by the greats like Richard Thompson, Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel.  Favourite classical composers are Debussy, Holst, Stravinsky, Vaughn Williams.  I know there are more, just top of my head stuff.  I was vice president of the second largest rock tour bus company in the US throughout the 80's.  Being situated in offices at The Village Recorder in Santa Monica, we also managed among others, Bill Ward of Black Sabbath fame and represented the rhythm section of the original Buffalo Springfield, who toured the US whilst waiting for the original band to form a reunion with those big name guys.  Most recently, I have formed a publishing company (Ghosts of Palos Verdes Music) and label (19:35 Productions) to promote my recently deceased husband's (Tom Kelly) symphonic/crossover progressive music in 3 CD/Digital releases in September 2018.  I look forward to this site's broadening of my knowledge and have already logged in some hours listening to new to me artists that have been reviewed here.  Thank you!   

Edited by Snicolette - June 26 2020 at 11:30
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 04:11
Welcome Snicolette!
You certainly have a vast and varied musical experience.  I'm sure you will be able to make a great contribution to the site, and I look forward to reading your insights and thoughts.
Songs cast a light on you
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 07:41
Thank you, Chaser.  It's refreshing to read so much thoughtful reviewing and discussion with the focus on this genre.  
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 08:27
first off..  sorry to read of losing your husband.  i know if I lost my better half I'd be forever lost and probably soon to follow her. Knowing myself well.. I don't know if I have the strength to carry on. Glad to see you here.

but a very warm welcome to the forum.  Some here might come off as a bit rough around the edges, and I guess they are, but they have hearts of gold and love the music.  

color me very envious.... you were in the sh*t back in the day and lived it. I am a huge HUGE Buffalo Springfield fan.. and honestly.. if Stephen Stills was hard up and needed some action.. I'd be his in country minute.  Always considered him an extemely underrated musical talent and one of the greatest of the underrated guitarists.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 09:00
Thank you for the kind words.  Hardest thing I've ever had to face and that's saying a lot in a long life thus far.  But for friends and family and the remaining dog, I should not have gotten this far.  And the need to catalogue his life's work, as we'd planned to do once I could retire and assist with the process, being the organized one.
The love of the music is the important thing...and remember, I worked for years with rock bus drivers, so I have a bit of a crust to deflect scratchiness.
Stephen is undeniably one of the greatest underrated guitarists and that particular combination of musicians was just magic.  I did get to sit in on the rehearsals at his home in the San Fernando Valley back in the 80's with the original 5, they never did get back together as a unit, as Dewey and Bruce died before that happened.  One of my most cherished musical memories.  
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 12:46
Wonderful to have you ~

You're in Oregon?   Great state, I have family in Portland (Multnomah Village) and love visiting up there.

Edited by Atavachron - November 11 2018 at 12:48
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2018 at 14:37
Thank you for the welcome.  Yes, in the "wine country," the small town of Carlton, just outside of McMinnville.  It's beautiful country.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 17:25
Hello, was good to chat on gagliarchives the other night.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2018 at 17:43
So you recognized me....snicolette wasn't an incognito enough name. LOL

I wish I'd been able to stay awake until the David Cross and Zappa music, but I did go and check it out (and others) from the playlist of some stuff I'd missed.

I was very gratified that they'd played Tom's music, so wanted to make sure to listen in some more and bring others that I know from other places that might not be familiar with the show to it.  

Yes, it was great fun, I think I'll come back and tip a few with you all again.  Thanks to you and everyone else there for making me feel welcome.  Made for a nice Saturday night, good music playing and talking about music with knowledgeable folks.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply