32 [33.68%]
13 [13.68%]
3 [3.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 20:35
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I have always thought HotS was repetitive even if a great tune. ST doesn't have that problem. Hence...

Yeah, now that you mention it, that's the main problem I find with HotS too.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2018 at 22:04
Both are great tunes. For me, Heart of the Sunrise is a level above virtually all other music, one of the most musical compositions, truly inspired and unique. I don't find it repetitive. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 02:23
Interesting people are finding HoTS repetitive; never thought about it, yet strangely felt ST wasn't as interesting a song.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 05:21
HotS is a bit of a mess. ST is solid. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 09:59
I like mess so HotS it is
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 00:20
I think if I ever was to get rid of my Yes collection, and had to keep only 1 album of theirs , I’d have a very difficult decision to choose between Fragile and Drama........
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 07:40
^ easy choice there for me it would be Tales.  The very definition of a deserted island classic...  you can listen to it for years and still find little discoveries within it.

Edited by micky - November 17 2018 at 07:41
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 08:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I think if I ever was to get rid of my Yes collection, and had to keep only 1 album of theirs , I’d have a very difficult decision to choose between Fragile and Drama........

Both great albums certainly.

For me it would be between Close to the Edge and Relayer, and I think Relayer might be the one that comes with me.
Songs cast a light on you
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 08:57
^ ^^ ......yeah, well, any album from Fragile through to Relayer and Drama. Definitive Yes.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 00:16
Really close call voted for Heart Of The Sunrise  
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 03:25
Love em both, but I'll vote Starship Trooper.

As for HOTSR, I prefer the live version at 11:44 from this concert, to the original..

Yes live at Wembley 1978

Edited by Blacksword - April 26 2019 at 03:25
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 20:59
^ My favourite version of Heart of the Sunrise is the one by ABWH on An Evening of Yes Music.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2019 at 23:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ easy choice there for me it would be Tales.  The very definition of a deserted island classic...  you can listen to it for years and still find little discoveries within it.

Yep. I think there's even one section where if you listen carefully you can hear Jon Anderson peeing in a toilet. At least I think it's a toilet. Smile
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 11:19
"Starship Trooper"

'You can not vote in this poll'
I have looked up and down, top to bottom and through every FAQ and guide I can find on the site and yet I can not find an explanation for this message.  I'm assuming it is related to post count??
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2019 at 21:11
^ Yeah, keep posting until you get one more star, and then you can vote.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 09:53
^^ It's in this FAQ under "Forum": CLICK

"Why can't I create polls or vote in existing ones?

Poll creation and voting is only available to forum members with higher ranks than Newbie. Once you've posted 40 messages on the forum, you'll be able to vote in prog polls. This was introduced on the forums to avoid people creating fake accounts to mess with the polls."

You need 40 points, so yeah, just keep posting. Personally, I'm more interested in reading what people have to "say" than in looking at poll results.

As for me, "Heart of the Sunrise" has greater highs for me, but also some fiddly bits that I'd rather wish it went without. "Starship Trooper" is more consistent, but I find it rather less interesting on the whole. I used to find "Heart of the Sunrise" would reach sublime levels. I had to think about it a a bit, but HotS for me as it is more emotionally resonant. That said, I'm not very big on Yes. It's band that I loved as a teenager, but since then doesn't do that much for me. Fragile was one of my first Prog loves -- these days I might be more likely to play The Yes Album and am most likely to play Time and a Word by Yes.

Not long ago ago I started up a conversation with someone in a Yes tee-shirt (he's a young cellist trying out for the Symphony Orchestra).

Edited by Logan - April 28 2019 at 10:08
tailings View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tailings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 13:57
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Poll creation and voting is only available to forum members with higher ranks than Newbie. Once you've posted 40 messages on the forum, you'll be able to vote in prog polls. This was introduced on the forums to avoid people creating fake accounts to mess with the polls."

Y

Thanks for that.  That instruction is worded distinctly differently than here, which makes no mention of voting, only poll creation.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2019 at 14:19
Originally posted by tailings tailings wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Y

Thanks for that.  That instruction is worded distinctly differently than here, which makes no mention of voting, only poll creation.

That's just the standard Web Wiz forum spiel (they provide the forum software), and is not this site specific and was not written by people from this site. This forum has been customised somewhat by changing various settings. The Site rules and guidelines forum is where much about forum use is mentioned as written by Prog Archives "staff".
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 17:53
As I have already written, 

I consider Heart of the Sunrise (maybe) the bigger peak ever reached by Yes. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123