Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: Larks' Tongues In Aspic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 07:40
I shall defer to Allmusic in that case.
Songs cast a light on you
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 08:04
And there's other factors. Take Former Atlantic president Ahmet Ertegun, for example, who championed both Yes and Genesis as prime movers until they started going ballistic with dense double albums from both like Tales From Topographic Oceans and "Lamb" album. He started to get quite nervous because he felt that, in his words, "they were no longer accessible."

Edited by SteveG - November 14 2018 at 08:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 08:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

They're no more mainstream than Roundabout. And accessibility is subjective so I rely on the consensus of the album reviewers like Allmusic. If anyone knows what appeals to classic rockers, they do.

I don't disagree with you in the discussion going on but Allmusic are often both clueless and factually wrong (plus their ratings seem completely random half the time). I'd rather trust user based sites such as RYM & Sputnikmusic...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 09:51
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

They're no more mainstream than Roundabout. And accessibility is subjective so I rely on the consensus of the album reviewers like Allmusic. If anyone knows what appeals to classic rockers, they do.

I don't disagree with you in the discussion going on but Allmusic are often both clueless and factually wrong (plus their ratings seem completely random half the time). I'd rather trust user based sites such as RYM & Sputnikmusic...
Yes, when it comes to prog you're right about Allmusic. LOL But for classic rock I think that you're not. Only because they are very mainstream, and their older reviews (20 years ago) were good and are still being used now! LOL 

Edited by SteveG - November 14 2018 at 09:58
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 18:25
There's a direct line from Larks' to what they did on all later releases and on the current three drummers tour. All the elements are there at this point, and this hadn't been the case before. Dazzling contrasts between beautiful subtle acoustic parts and very heavy riff guitar. The loudness and mixing is, err, ...interesting..., actually bordering on the insane, but then I can appreciate what is achieved in this way. Super innovative and iconic album. All the songs have something very special, except maybe Book of Saturday, which is a fine addition but doesn't shine that much on its own. I particularly love how LTIA Part I and Exiles begin, and then the change from Talking Drum to LTIA II. The only issue I have (other than when the volume contrasts hit me in the wrong moment) is that I don't like Wetton's vocals that much on this album, he became better later.

Edited by Lewian - November 14 2018 at 18:28
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2018 at 18:35
A brilliant recording, cool that I clicked this thread as I am finishing side II right now......prolly my 2nd fav behind In the Court, but it could easily move up a notch.

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 05:29
I wouldn't say this about many albums: Too dynamic. 

Still, it's pretty good. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 06:53
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

I wouldn't say this about many albums: Too dynamic. 

Still, it's pretty good. 
I know exactly what you mean! I really enjoy it but I also have to be in the mood for it.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2018 at 22:25
For the life of me, this sounds like "Larks Tongues in Aspic Part 2!"  

....perhaps RF borrowed a bit from this ancient Alpine ritual?  LOL

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 00:32
Lark’s Tongues blows me away. Has done for almost 30 years. Love the overall sound / production, and every track on the album. A real tough act to follow. It’s just super hi fi to me, and extraordinary musicianship and composition. Can’t fault it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12