Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vintage prog-song by an Italian protest songwriter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage prog-song by an Italian protest songwriter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage prog-song by an Italian protest songwriter
    Posted: November 24 2018 at 17:50
Here you can listen to the song Radici (Roots), by Francesco Guccini

Guccini (born 1940) was a friend of Fabrizio De André (here in prog-related artist).
Guccini and De André (same age) are considered, in Italy, the fathers of italian songwriters. 
Both were inspired by Dylan and french chansonniers.

In this song: 
Guccini: guitar, vocals; Deborah Kooperman: banjo; Vince Tempera: piano, keyboards, synthesizer; 
Maurizio Vandelli: mellotron. Gigi Rizzi: electric guitar; Ares Tavolazzi (Area): bass;
Ellade Bandini: drums.

Radici is taken from the homonymous album (Radici, 1975), and is characterized by the use of banjo and mellotron. Guccini is wrongly considered a political singer-songwriter, author of protest songs like Phil Ochs or Billy Bragg. In reality he is one of the most sensitive European singer-songwriters, engaged in not only social but existential themes. The lyrics of his songs, along with those of De Andrč, are the most literate I've ever read. Now De André is dead and Guccini has retired from scenes, he prefers to write novels. 
In Italy he is known for being a singer who tell stories with a guitar, an artist who privileges lyrics to music (instead he has written many memorable melodies) but, as you can see, he wrote some songs, in the golden years of prog, letting himself be influenced by prog music.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 24 2018 at 18:08
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2018 at 18:47
I enjoy the music. By the way, I've moved this to the General Music Discussions.   Please see http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13082
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 11:14
Anybody listen to it?

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 26 2018 at 11:14
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 12:02
I am quite familiar with the album, and used to listen to it regularly when I was a teenager. However, I've never thought of the song "Radici" as prog-related. On the other hand, in the Seventies most Italian musicians were influenced by prog in some ways, and Guccini seems to have been no exception.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 14:16
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I am quite familiar with the album, and used to listen to it regularly when I was a teenager. However, I've never thought of the song "Radici" as prog-related. On the other hand, in the Seventies most Italian musicians were influenced by prog in some ways, and Guccini seems to have been no exception.

Some months ago, in a documentary (maybe Sky arte) Vince Tempera and Ellade Bandini told about the genesis of the album Radici, song after song, and Tempera explain in which way (expecially with the use of Mellotron) the group decided to build a prog song: Radici.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - November 26 2018 at 14:16
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2018 at 16:14

god almighty woman.. what are you trying to do to me here.  You are smoikin hot now...

especially when you post... 

but I can't imagine how you must have been as a teen LOL..   whoo hooo...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 09:35
When I checked out the music before, I hadn't read the original post properly and noticed that Vince Tempera performed on it. He's been involved with several projects in PA (Il Volo, Il Giganti...), but I grew to know him particularly because of his collaborations with Fabio Frizzi and Franco Bixio (love Sette Notte in Nero and Vai Gorilla).

Love lots of Italian music of that era. The posted song doesn't do that much for me to be honest, but it is nice.

Edited by Logan - November 27 2018 at 09:37
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 11:43
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

When I checked out the music before, I hadn't read the original post properly and noticed that Vince Tempera performed on it. He's been involved with several projects in PA (Il Volo, Il Giganti...), but I grew to know him particularly because of his collaborations with Fabio Frizzi and Franco Bixio (love Sette Notte in Nero and Vai Gorilla).

Love lots of Italian music of that era. The posted song doesn't do that much for me to be honest, but it is nice.

I don't think it is the best song on the album. My favourite from Radici is "Canzone dei dodici mesi", both for the music and the lyrics.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 11:49

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I don't think it is the best song on the album. My favourite from Radici is "Canzone dei dodici mesi", both for the music and the lyrics.

Thanks. I'm listening to that song now and really enjoying it.
I will seek a translation of the lyrics anon.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 17:22
Canzone dei dodici mesi is a great song (we can hear Tempera on synths, I guess).

On that album I love even Il vecchio e il bambino

Post Reply Post Reply