Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Kansas - Hold On - Live Civic Auditorium, Omaha
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas - Hold On - Live Civic Auditorium, Omaha

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EveryoneIsMeAndYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas - Hold On - Live Civic Auditorium, Omaha
    Posted: November 26 2018 at 16:37
Greetings! New to the forum but excited to jump in.

I'm a huge Kansas fan and came across an album on Amazon that is obviously audio from their live concert/video in Omaha, NE in 1982. However this is not audio like I've ever heard before. Does anyone know where this audio came from? 

I've probably heard that concert a hundred times so when I heard this version I knew something was different. Either it is a recording from a different source such as a line off of the soundboard or someone got the original tapes and remixed it. I've done some research but can't find any info. I'm suspicious it's a bootleg branded as a legitimate recording because it's for sale only on certain sites and apparently you can stream it from Spotify but not in this country. 

I'm pretty sure this is a tap from some source like the mixer but I wouldn't expect to hear the crowd noise in a front of house mixer line output like you can on this audio. Maybe someone took a line off of the recording equipment. I know it's likely a live recording from that night because in the song Chasing Shadows Elefente's lips used to never match up to his voice especially in the hook just before the instrumental. I figured this had been overdubbed in a studio after the fact and hearing this audio confirms that theory because this audio matches perfectly with his lips and interestingly there are some nasty audio glitches in that song which must have compelled the overdubbed vocal track. 

Anyway sorry for the extraneous info but I'm very interested if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks!

Edited by EveryoneIsMeAndYou - November 26 2018 at 16:38
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 06:54
1rst of all, Welcome to the PA forum!

This recording is not listed on the band's website, nor could I find it on iTunes or Discogs, although it is on Amazon from an Independent label.  Not sure, but it "sounds" like it could a bootleg, who knows....

Perhaps some record industry savvy PA member would know and chime in.
EveryoneIsMeAndYou View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EveryoneIsMeAndYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 11:55
Thanks AEProgman, 

I've discovered this audio is from the King Biscuit Flower Hour. Apparently someone has taken it and rebranded it and is selling it. 
EveryoneIsMeAndYou View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EveryoneIsMeAndYou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2018 at 14:42
To explain the obsessive nature of what you’re about to read here is a little back-story. My father was/is a huge Kansas fan and one night he brought home the VHS tape of this concert. I was mesmerized and I attribute much of my Kansas fandom to this video. I continue to watch the video or listen to the audio which is very nostalgic for me along with the fact that it is amazing music and an amazing performance. Since I’ve spent so much time researching all of this I will just write down my findings in case anyone cares to know now or in the future.

This is very interesting scenario because we have two audio recordings of the same concert that were both professionally made. One for a video of the concert released by Sony on VHS/Beta which I’ll call the Sony video/audio. The second was broadcast on the radio show King Biscuit Flower Hour which I’ll call the KBFH audio.

The Sony video credits indicate the audio was recorded and mixed by Brad Aaron who was an audio engineer and producer on many Kansas projects. It was apparently recorded courtesy of D.I.R. Broadcasting who put on the King Biscuit Flower Hour. This implies that both the KBFH audio and the Sony video were planned from the outset and almost certainly used the same tapes.

Along with the previously mentioned overdub on Chasing Shadows there are some differences in the resulting audio: 

1. The introduction is a pre-recorded medley of instrumental versions of several songs including the very recognizable Nobody’s Home theme. Just before the introduction transitions into Paradox you can hear Phil Ehart start to keep time on the hi hat. This is not in the Sony audio where you only hear the band come in right at the start of Paradox.

2. Between Chasing Shadows and Crossfire the Sony video/audio includes Robbie giving an introduction of John Elefente as the new lead singer of Kansas as well as announcing the 10 anniversary of the band. This is not on the KBFH audio.

3. At the end of Crossfire the KBFH audio mistakenly includes the intro of Face it which is understandable considering the way the 2 songs were transitioned.

4. The obvious omission of Miracles Out Of Nowhere from the Sony video/audio. I’m not sure why this wasn’t included in the video but likely it was due to time since it includes a lengthy synth solo. This YouTube video includes the KBFH audio of Miracles Out Of Nowhere and some snippets of video cleverly edited together to approximate what the video might have looked like if the song was included (the synth solo is not included).

5. An interesting discrepancy during the intro of Portrait where the organ is faded in much earlier on the Sony video/audio than it is on the KBFH audio. This allows for some speculation about how the audio was recorded for each version but it’s very likely the same tapes were used for both the video and KBFH audio but mixed down on different dates resulting slightly different mixes. 

6. The final two tracks are mislabeled on the KBFH audio (which you can find here). Track 15 is labeled Portrait (He Knew) / Down The Road but should be Portrait (He Knew) / Down The Road / Magnum Opus Excerpt. Track 16 is labeled Magnum Opus but is actually a similar pre-recorded medley of instrumental versions of several songs like the introduction and should have been labeled Outro or Ending or something like that. You can hear the entire pre-recorded outro music on the KBFH audio version whereas on the Sony video/audio you only hear about half. 

I would love to know more about the intro/outro music which is a really well done and cleverly arranged instrumental medley of many different songs. It was performed on synths. I can only assume that it was arranged and recorded by Kerry Livgren who alone would posses the knowledge of the Kansas repertoire it draws from along with the ability to arrange and perform it.

I did find this audio listed on Discogs in the unofficial category under the name Live Confessions (From New York to Omaha) in which it's bundled with another recording from NY in '77. I know this is the King Biscuit Flower Hour version because it has Miracles Out Of Nowhere where the official video does not UNLESS there is a 3rd recording of this floating around which I find hard to believe.

If you buy this album from Amazon you are getting a unauthorized recording made for the King Biscuit Flower Hour. I assume this recording is still owned by Wolfgang’s Vault which bought the King Biscuit Flower Hour tape archives. I tweeted at the official Kansas Twitter account asking for info about it and I promptly received a reply indicating that this is an unauthorized bootleg. So buyers beware.

Post Reply Post Reply