Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How has prog progressed rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How has prog progressed rock?
    Posted: December 09 2018 at 14:19
Perhaps moreso than in other music communities, I've noticed that a lot of prog rock discussions tend be fixated is whether or not a band is actually progressing rock music, rather than, say, whether or not the music itself is enjoyable. I suppose with a genre named "progressive rock", we've sort of shot ourselves in the foot and invited a high emphasis on that sort of discussion, not unlike how fans of "Esports" are doomed to spend their time justifying why video games are a sport, as if it would not be a legitimate form of entertainment to spectators if they weren't.

So what does it really mean to be progressive? Is an artist progressive for merely having a new idea, or does that idea have to be good enough to be adopted by the community in order to really be progressive? Progressive rock is of course characterized by the presence of certain ideas which were not really part of the rock vocabulary at the time... I can list them all here but you might as well just check the PA definition of progressive rock if you're not sure what I'm talking about:

Rock music of today of course sounds different from rock music 50 or 60 years ago so I suppose the main question is: How much of that progression is because of our so-called progressive rock bands?

Or have progressive rock bands really only progressed the subgenre of prog?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 17:38
To your point, based on empirical evidence I think Prog progressed pop more than it did rock.   It certainly progressed commercial music in general ~ film, TV, trade music, etc. ~ as you hear it permeating much music of that time.  

As far as how much it progressed rock itself at the end of the day, not so much if you look at the continued popularity of bands as AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen, the Stones, Zeppelin as well as later rock acts as Black Crowes, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Maroon 5, all of whom have minimal progressive influences.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 19:59
I think it's hard to come with an answer, since it's such a subjective issue. Everyone will have an opinion, and given the way prog fans like to express them, it would be impossible to reach a conclussion.
It's obvious there are some influences, not only in the music, but also in the work of many artists, which are a source of inspiration to new artists. As far as how much, I could not tell, but many artists of today, listened to the progressive bands of the classic period, learned from them, at least a trick or two, and developed their own approach to writing their music, not only influenced by prog artists, but by many others, from many othe genres. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2018 at 23:14
The idea was to use the most sophisticated music to advance a basic form of music. WHich it did and becmae it's own thing. For a while it was effective (the usual golden era). Then it became something kknown by the brief ugly term "prog". Now the wonders of Clo To The Edge (album) are seen in the context of sophito-rock (prog). now.

Foot shot and second blast. Should've been left s sypmphonic or classcial rocl. Yes I know there are amny others etc but without symphonic rock nothing would be possible.

So yes, it progressed rock (Queen) and latter day music (progressive house). It made it's impact on disco (ha!) with the big strings and electronic pioneering.

Rock is supposed to be basic form of music which is why everything has to be viewed in the context of the sex pistols and punk rather than the heights of ELP, Genesis et al. This is where the accusations of pretension come in. Frankly I thought having the almighty rind of having the inability to pay, sing and write and still sell your records for the same price as Pink Floyd was the ultimate in pretension but ... there we are....
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 12:51
Rock is a dead genre not worthy of progression.
Long live Prog!!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2018 at 15:40
Rock is the umbrella that prog sits under. Prog is a form of rock....if prog never existed, today's rock would still be different than yesterday's rock.

Rock will never die.
WFV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WFV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 04:33
This really is a mesmerizing topic for me.  I appreciate all the replies as knowledge gained since I truly know 0 people in my life that listen and get off on progressive rock music.

For me, I remember an interview of Frank Zappa by Moon Unit for MTV I think from 1984.  She mentions a series MTV is doing on progressive rock and he scoffs at the mentions of the bands featured - "is that progressive rock"?  He loosely defines prog as rock that doesn't follow the rock formula - rock that doesn't sound like itself.  Since he's the alltime rock outcast I'm inclined to go with him.  He scoffs at the mention of Procol Harum and Emerson Lake and Palmer (and he somewhat smiled at the mention of King Crimson, I think he knew Fripp Belew Bruford were onto something)

In Twenty Eighteen I think prog rock is viable alternative (not following the formula) listening the same way there's metal and folkrock and stoner rock and all these other spinoff genres.......there's so many consumers out there niches are possible to find.

Thanks again for the interesting proposal and ideas.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2018 at 07:14
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

To your point, based on empirical evidence I think Prog progressed pop more than it did rock.   It certainly progressed commercial music in general ~ film, TV, trade music, etc. ~ as you hear it permeating much music of that time.  

As far as how much it progressed rock itself at the end of the day, not so much if you look at the continued popularity of bands as AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen, the Stones, Zeppelin as well as later rock acts as Black Crowes, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Maroon 5, all of whom have minimal progressive influences.

Hi,

I think this is true in the English speaking countries where the music thing has been overly COMMERCIAL FOR OVER 50 YEARS, but in other places, and for the most part the great example is "krautrock" where no record company would touch anything German until after 72/73/74 when numbers all of a sudden jumped, which, for all intents and purposes allowed many bands and groups to create their own thing and not have to be "controlled" by a commercial interest that was not interested in creative stuff, but only things that sold, or hits.

Right after the 60's FM radio took off in America, only to get completely bought out and sold out by 1976 or 1977, and from that point on most of those stations went on to play their "blue dots", their "green dots" and their "poop dots" ... and pretty much killed the freedom of the music all around, which did not help the new bands at all ... when you hear far out and neat experimental stuff, it tends to inspire you, but when you get 1910 Fruitgum Salad, The Monkees, The Partridge This or That, and one token song like "Light My Fire" in the middle of it, you know very well that the station doesn't care about the music ... it's just what (supposedly) sells ... which in some cases looked bigger because it was also on a church show on Sundays!

To me, the rock radio only progressed to LOUD ... and NOISE ... and the majority of the bands listed above, were not exactly "progressive" or as inventive as we would imagine they should be for inclusion to the PA, for example as a full fledged member of a Progressive Music community. I, honestly, did not touch any of those "loud" bands, and in fact even walked out of a DP concert ... because it was too loud and out of tune at the Long Beach Arena (then), right after seeing someone like Leon Russell, whose band was known for being tight, although also loud.

The whole "history" of rock radio, does not include "progressive" anything for the most part, although one can name one or two folks that were well known players of said product, but in general, radio, NEVER, helped any band make it in the progressive genre, maybe with the exception of two pieces by ELP, and by the time the 2nd one came, they couldn't give a poop about radio! YES, GENESIS and most of the other progressive bands came out of the "IMPORTS" in the West Coast, and were played by what would be considered 2nd rate stations not as big as the 1 and 2 in LA (KMET and KLOS), whose idea of "progressive" (they never used that term, ask Jim Ladd!), was playing a cut from Pink Floyd and after the spring release of DSOTM, playing the whole side 1 of the album. And, in some ways, that was when the "progressive" thing started getting hurt, because all of a sudden everything had to have a certain quality that most bands did not have, and could not sustain financially.

Radio, in my estimation, specially in the West Coast, had been in decline for some time. The days of the short versions of "Light My Fire" (you can still buy that single btw!), were replaced by the longer versions of the song, and 2 to 3 years later, it was back to a top ten dictated list that was not real, and it was pretty obvious since every week it had a band listed that was a record company darling, and not really selling ... as an example Led Zeppelin or The Who, did not need huge posters and banners all over Hollywood Blvd and the Sunset Strip because they could sell out in 20 minutes! The huge everything else, pretty much showed you who the record company wanted to sell big to make more money, specially when they owned the work, and not the band ... lots of bands got caught in that! Fame, and broke!

Progressive Music has its roots in Europe for the most part, and FOR MY TASTES, is a part of the PROGRESSIVE tastes and experiments in the arts that EUROPE is known for, be it film (progressive since the late 50's in France as an example!), theater, writing, painting and many other arts ... however, England with its commercial papers and periodicals trying hard to sell the LP's would not discuss "art" because they would not make money off it ... thus Melody Maker and The New Music Express, specifically concentrated on rock music and its "independent" streak, none of which was really artistic at all, but in most cases just rehash and in some ways a DAW design piece of music 25 years before the DAW. It was all sort of a Hollywood thing in London, making sure that the stars in their cover got more sales out of it, and those periodicals simply would not admit that they were just another tool for selling ... had nothing to do with the arts, and most folks reading anything in there could never really find some decent and intelligent discussions ... but it did show that London had the greatest array of music anywhere, foreign based included, which says something for the audience that the magazines themselves could not. I still remember reading some ash-hole say that TD sounded like washing machine music, and no idiot EVER said anything like ... is that guy even listening to 3 to 5 seconds of it?

That ought to tell you what the whole thing was about!

Originally posted by WFV WFV wrote:

She mentions a series MTV is doing on progressive rock and he scoffs at the mentions of the bands featured - "is that progressive rock"?  He loosely defines prog as rock that doesn't follow the rock formula - rock that doesn't sound like itself.

And this is, the only definition that makes sense ... which is completely ignored! The definition we have is asking for a "format" and it is being followed instead of people paying attention to the originators, that had less of a formula than they did format.

We still don't get that, and most folks listening to new things ... what do they usually look for? Lyrics telling them what's it all about, and some beat and format they can follow ... otherwise it's too weird and meanders way too much! This is the main reason why I want to do away with the top ten albums in PA and turn it into a Top 100 bands instead, so that any band is treated as a "composer", instead of having 5 or 6 albums from the same band in the listing. It brings the "design" of "progressive" down to a couple of bands, and people lose interest in the rest real quick, because they are not famous or listed!

Why do we keep refusing to do what the originators did? Noooooooo we have to have someone tell us first!

Edited by moshkito - January 11 2019 at 05:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 05:21
Prog rock hasn't progressed rock. 

It's progressed prog rock. Well, debatably. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 05:41

For the most part it all started out as a sort of revolution against "commercial" radio .... and for all intents and purposes, this is still the case, and no one wants to discuss it ... although, today's radio (both FM and AM) are hardly the trend setters they used to be 50 years ago.

However, and this is important, in places like NY, Tokyo, Paris, and London, one play can get a band around 50K sales and immediately other stations will follow and before you know it, they have 100K to 200K sales in one place alone. The fact that the rest of the country does not care, play or even know who the artist is, becomes a factor that changes the previous rules some ... so a band is big in NY (let's say Dream Theater), and it sells 1K CD's in San Francisco ... the distortion now is really important ... !!!!

As for progression, not sure how you can say it progressed one more than the other ... it was more visible on the "pop radio" because it was in the middle of hits, whereas the college radio and lesser services, would not even qualify as bonafide radio stations that played "pop" or "anythingelse" out there, although in places like England, the college circuit is still the big one for bands taking off. This is not the case in America, and hasn't been for some time.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2019 at 18:43

I can get on board with that.  Pop can get really stale and boring and may occasionally seek out something new and different and prog is always there.  I found it really sad ultimately that prog tried to go pop in the late '70's.  They tried and failed?  No they tried and died....
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply