Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog topping the charts post 2000?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog topping the charts post 2000?
    Posted: December 16 2018 at 13:18
Hi all,

This question came up somewhere else and I thought maybe I would see if anyone here had information or suggestions for bands not mentioned. The person asking about this originally specified albums in the US and the UK (and asked if anyone had topped the charts since Tool ) but I would love to hear about other countries and markets.

If bands like Radiohead, Muse and Iron Maiden are included (for the purposes of this topic, I think 'prog adjacent' bands are worth mentioning) , there are recent number ones from them in the US/UK. Rush's 2012 album went to #1 in Canada and #2 in the US. David Gilmour's Rattle that Lock hit #1 in the UK, Sweden, New Zealand and Norway in 2015 and Floyd as well obviously with the Endless River went to #1 in many countries in 2014.

Japan and Germany are both bigger markets than the UK and are worth a look:

In Germany, there was Deep Purple in 2017 at #1 (lots of prog elements on Infinite) and Opeth's Sorceress in 2016 (very proggy). Nightwish have had 2 #1s in Germany and Steven Wilson got to #2 in 2017.

In Japan, there was Ling Tosite Sigure with a #1 in 2010 (#3 in 2013 and #5 in 2018).

Riverside had their second #1 album in Poland just a couple of months ago.

Roger Waters had #1 in Norway and Switzerland in 2017.

In Finland, in addition to Roger Waters topping the charts, you will also find bands like Steven Wilson (2017), Von Hertzen Brothers (2010) or Nightwish (6 times #1) or Opeth (twice) or Dream Theater (twice) have had recent number ones.

Ayreon had a #1 in the Netherlands in 2017.

Mike Oldfield's Return to Ommadawn hit #4 in the UK and topped the charts in Spain and made it to #3 in Germany

So, who else is missing? I suppose the Decemberists could figure in there too to some extent and Big Wreck in Canada (3 straight top 5s) or perhaps Phish (4 top 20 albums post 2000) and prog-metal Galneryus from Japan (the latest album hit #13 in 2017 in Japan) but I was also hoping to hear about more self-avowedly prog bands around the world as well.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tribalfusions - December 16 2018 at 13:23
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 05:30
No one has any suggestions?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 08:24
Interesting fat. I for once, don't really care about charts, since I never listen to radio anymore, or look at music magazines or stuff like that. I'm glad you are bringing this out, it gives me a chance to know that some acts still have some acceptance among the comercial side of the music industry.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 12:03
Cool stats! I had no idea! Thanks for this.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 12:17
How did A Perfect Circle's last album do? At least it was physically available, and even being played out loud in the shop I usually buy albums, and that's what finally convinced me to buy it. It seemed to me it was doing well enough. Perhaps also Tool could have had some charting positions.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 14:32
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute, 2005:

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 14:44
^Overlooked that 9th entry in Australia... remember back in 2005 "normal" people were still actually buying physical CD's, so this must mean thay actually sold quite a few copies.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 15:30
Not much "pure" prog has been in the pop charts in the US for quite some time. The only one I can think of is Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree. I suppose Dream Theater also. Not much else that would qualify unless you count fringe bands. I remember back in 2002 seeing Spock's Beard's "snow" make number 15 on the internet charts which was a big deal(at least to me)at the time. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 15:31
Oh yeah, I forgot about the Mars Volta. Some people consider them to be a "fringe" band though.
tribalfusions View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalfusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

How did A Perfect Circle's last album do? At least it was physically available, and even being played out loud in the shop I usually buy albums, and that's what finally convinced me to buy it. It seemed to me it was doing well enough. Perhaps also Tool could have had some charting positions.

A Perfect Circle's last album was top 3 in the US, Germany, Australia, Canada. New Zealand and was top 20 in many other countries too.

Tool's last 2 went to #1 in many countries (US, Canada, Australian and several others) in 2001 and 2006. Meshuggah actually have 2 top 20 albums from the main Billboard charts too in the US and 2 top 10s in Germany.

Another group I might add to the rock examples would be Dir en Grey with all their albums being top 10 albums in Japan (I am not sure how they are viewed here but figured they were relevant to the discussion).

Also Gojira made it to #14 in 2016 in Germany with their latest and top 5 in Switzerland and Finland as well as #24 in the UK and US.

I didn't mention Mastodon (again, not sure what people think of them around here) but they have 3 straight US top 10 albums and reached #1 in Finland among other high charting results for them around the world.

=======================================================

On the jazz and fusion side of possible interest to posters here : Keith Jarrett's last album made it to his career high of #18 in Germany this October. Pat Metheny's peak there was #24 in 2002 and Jan Garbarek's was #22 in 2009. Wayne Shorter's career high was #64 earlier this year and Al di Meola's most recent album went to #80 (all of these rankings were on the German charts).

Pat Metheny also has 5 top 10 albums in Poland including a #1 album in 2005 (The Way Up) and another #1 with Anna Maria Jopek in 2002.  His albums Speaking of Now and the Way Up both went top 10 in Italy as well.

Esperanza Spalding made it to #10 in the US in 2012.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 11:23
I imagine prog in general is going to remain competitive in the album sales market - mostly because the typical pop-oriented listeners are going to stick with streaming their favorite singles rather than buying the album.
ProgBlob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgBlob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 12:49
Steven Wilsons To the Bone topped many charts last year i believe, though not all that proggy
 Post Reply Post Reply