Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello I am Lorenzo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello I am Lorenzo
    Posted: December 28 2018 at 16:52
Hello, I am Lorenzo!
I was born on December 13th 1970.

I signed up PA since 2015 but I wrote very little for the first three years, just a few reviews and some comments here on the forum. I came here to read, and in the meantime I documented myself on progressive rock, I expanded my knowledge of prog music and improved my English (which, I know, is still incomplete) and then come back here more prepared in November, last month. Since then I have written more than 30 reviews and I intend to participate continuously and write many more. 

When I was a teen ager, I listened to the Beatles, Simon and Grafunkel, then Bruce Springsteen and U2, Nick Cave and Tori Amos, Pink Floyd and the Doors and many other songwriters.

I must thank the italian Enciclopedia Curcio: Grande storia del Rock, 4 voll: reading it, I discovered a lot of musicians of Sixties and Seventies, and my interest fall on Van der Graaf for the electric saxophone, King Crimson for the violin, Gentle Giant etc... in a word: for progressive. But I had no money to buy cd of that groups.

Then, years later ( I was 23-24), a friend of mine put on the stereo some Van der Graaf disc... and everything began. I began to have meetings with some friends, and we listened to Van der Graaf, KC, GG, Genesis, Yes, Caravan, Strawbs, Family etc. Then, I started to buy discs. Then arrived internet and... emule! and I was happy!

Now, I have listened every albums (or almost) of: the Beatles (and Harrison, Lennon), Dylan, Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel (and Simon), CSN&Y (and Young), andRolling Stones (the first ones), Donovan, Shawn Phillips, Kinks, Pink Floyd (and Barrett, and Waters), Nice and EL&P, Procol Harum (the firsts ones), Moody Blues (the first ones), Family (and Streetwalkers), Colosseum (the first ones), Doors, Hendrix, Velvet Underground (and Cale, and Reed), Joplin, Fleetwood Mac, Yes (and Asia), Genesis (and Gabriel), Jethro Tull, Spirit, Tim Buckley, Van der Graaf Generator (and Hammill), Yardbirds, Small Faces, Cream, Who, Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Byrds, Gentle Giant, Strawbs, King Crimson, Roxy Music, Gong (only with Allen), Soft Machine (the first ones), Caravan (the first ones), MM and Robert Wyatt, Santana (the first ones), Springesteen, Boston, Jackson Browne, Talking Heads, Clash, Joy Division, Cure, Mission, CCR, Steely Dan, Nick Cave, Cat Stevens, Toto, Television, The The, Talk Talk, Slint, Tori Amos, Bjork, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Blur, Muse, Morphine.  

Italians: Giganti, Equipe 84, Guccini, De Andrč, PFM, Area, Orme, Battiato, Branduardi, Conte, CCCP-CSI, Fossati, Gaber, Pagani, La Crus, Mau Mau, Modena City Ramblers.  

I have listened to the best albums of: Anglagard, Banco, Balletto di Bronzo, Battisti, Black Sabbath, Bowie, Cult, Can, R. Chapman, T. Chapman, Cap. Beefheart, Camel, J. Cougar, Chicago, Chieftans, Church, Dream Syndicate (and Wynn), Henry Cow, Jesus and Mary Chain, Miles Davis, Deep Purple, Dave Matthews Band, Dire Straits, Depeche Mode, Dream Theater, Drake, EELS, ELO, Eno, Fairport Conv, Fugs, Fugazi, Lisa Germano, Grateful Dead, Green Day, Hiatt, Hatfield &N, Hawkwind, Iron Butterfly, Iron Maden, J.Jackson, Jefferson Airplane, Journey, Kansas, Kraftwerk, Magma, McCartney, Marillion, IQ, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Metallica, Van Morrison, Mothers and F. Zappa, J. Mitchell, Museo Rosenbach, Neu!, New Trolls, Nico, Oldfield, Osanna, Opeth, Pearl Jam, Petty, Popol Vuh, Queen, Renaissance, REM, Rundgren, Rush, Police (and Sting), Schulze, Simple Minds, Seeger, Sorrenti, P. Smith, Styx, Supertramp, Suicide, S. Vega, S. Wilson and Porcupine Tree, Tangerine Dream, Tool, Traffic, Uriah Heep, Ultravox, U2, Waits.  

And others.  

Now? I am listening to CSI: Linea Gotica. Masterpiece.

My goal, coming here in PA, is to give a contribution with my reviews, and to expand my knowledge of the progressive of the 2000s, in particular of some of its genres.

Greetings from Milano, Lombardia, Italy (UE?) Smile

Edited by jamesbaldwin - December 28 2018 at 19:01
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 18:48
Okay--  better late than never.

A belated welcome to PA ~

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2019 at 18:48
Love your reviews!!!!

Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 09:11
Welcome Lorenzo. It sounds as though your knowledge is already quite extensive, so I look forward to reading your reviews and posts.
Songs cast a light on you
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 10:05
Hey Lorenzo

Great to have you on board! I hope you enjoy the forum & I'm sure you have much to contribute. I have enjoyed your reviews so far (and your English seems excellent to me).

Simon
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 14:58
From the area of Area - What legends!

Welcome mate!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2019 at 17:41
Thanks a lot, guys!Hug
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply