Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 07:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I listened to this all the way through last night..and it was the first thing I put on this morning. Still as monumentally beautiful and cleverly put-together as the first time I heard it...only now the lyrics make far more “sense” to me in that they invoke clear connotations to biblical tales yet at the same time dumps them into the Gabrielesque sanitarium funhouse so as to take on so many other hidden meanings and open analogies. 

Guy Guden of Space Pirate Radio fame/history, did something on this album that no one has ever done ... before ... or since!

He went on the air at midnight, and played the album in its entirety (both LP's), and then played it again in its entirety because, it appeared that his phones got super busy on this ... I believe (can't say for sure) that some folks in the station had gotten the album but could not find a "hit" ... and didn't play it, which is very much in contention with their mentality ... btw he played these back to back, so you ended up with around 160 minutes of GENESIS starting at midnight! (Now you know why I think most "radio" on the Internet is crap! No sense of occasion!)

It ought to give you an idea of the actual fan reaction at the time, and how some folks really loved this album ... instead of what happened in the media with it, and (sometimes even here) some harsh criticisms because it was too weird and had too much strange stuff in it, and not enough "radio" songs!

If EVER, there was a need for another 60's to tell radio where to stuff it ... that goes all the way up to today even with things with that overblown fart on the air that you pay for it and you can hear it on your car ... nothing like paying for the same thing, just mixed differently on the air!

AND, we buy it!

Edited by moshkito - January 20 2019 at 07:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 00:09
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Anyway is Tony Banks best piano preformance in Genesis, so short yet he playes the same pattern within the same pace and the sudden burst of tempo is quite astonishing. And they lyrics speak to me ob a personal level, Anyway is a superb track

better than Hogweed?
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 12:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Anyway is Tony Banks best piano preformance in Genesis, so short yet he playes the same pattern within the same pace and the sudden burst of tempo is quite astonishing. And they lyrics speak to me ob a personal level, Anyway is a superb track

better than Hogweed?

'Anyway' or at least the musical element, was written as part of 'The Movement' when the band were living in the Cottage prior to Trespass- it was then used as part of the 'Genesis plays Jackson' tapes in 1969... so Tony Banks hard plenty of time to practice it!

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:14
I listen to it just now.

I am not a great fan of Genesis, but it's very interesting. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 17:41
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

better than Hogweed?

'Anyway' or at least the musical element, was written as part of 'The Movement' when the band were living in the Cottage prior to Trespass- it was then used as part of the 'Genesis plays Jackson' tapes in 1969... so Tony Banks hard plenty of time to practice it!

Never knew this, if it's true. Thanks for sharing!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2019 at 12:58
^ Its the second section of the four, titled 'Frustration'. The whole suite is quite an eye opener as it has parts of the Musical box, Fountain of Salmacis and others... its amazing to think they had about an hours worth of 'bits' in 'the Movement'  in 1969 which they recycled on all the PG era lps!

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

^ Its the second section of the four, titled 'Frustration'. The whole suite is quite an eye opener as it has parts of the Musical box, Fountain of Salmacis and others... its amazing to think they had about an hours worth of 'bits' in 'the Movement'  in 1969 which they recycled on all the PG era lps!

Agreed. What a forward-thinking group of young lads! So much amazing stuff was written between 1969-1976 from most prog bands, but Genesis and VDGG appear to be a slight tier above most in those years.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2019 at 16:15
my favorite parts are in the cage,cuckoo cocoon,counting out time and the lamia the carpet crawlersthe album as a whole does not work for me, because like beatles the white album, although both decent albums there is a weirdness or darkness to these albums, that i don,t understand ,i enjoy the more lighter melodic songs,as opposed to the darker numbers, like the waiting room from lamb and dream no9 from beatles white album its not a criticism, just an observation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234