Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Maiden - Legacy of the beast tour - 2019

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 11:07
Doesn't look like they're coming anywhere near me.  Albuquerque's 6 hrs from home, but nobody else's gonna' make that kind of a trip for Maiden.  (my friends and I share almost nothing in musical taste).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2019 at 23:45
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I'll be the odd one out and say their best album is The Number of the Beast. Their 'prog metal' efforts are not as enjoyable to me.

I would say this was the beginning of their prog phase even though it has a few hit singles on it.

Easily one of the best bands of the eighties of any genre.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2019 at 03:31
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'll be the odd one out and say their best album is The Number of the Beast. Their 'prog metal' efforts are not as enjoyable to me.

I would say this was the beginning of their prog phase even though it has a few hit singles on it.

Arguably yes it was the start of their more progressive phase, but I've always regarded it as a heavy metal album, and probably one of the best ever recorded.

I liked the next two albums, and thought Powerslave was better than Piece of Mind. After that I lost interest a bit.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 00:32

Arguably yes it was the start of their more progressive phase, but I've always regarded it as a heavy metal album, and probably one of the best ever recorded.

I liked the next two albums, and thought Powerslave was better than Piece of Mind. After that I lost interest a bit.

Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of A Seventh Son are a bit lighter featuring guitar synths and maybe lack a bit of punch. At the time I wasn't convinced although I like them nowadays a lot more than I did then. Powerslave will always be my 'go to' metal album. Just a perfect balance of metal and prog to my ears.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2019 at 01:08

Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son of A Seventh Son are a bit lighter featuring guitar synths and maybe lack a bit of punch. At the time I wasn't convinced although I like them nowadays a lot more than I did then. Powerslave will always be my 'go to' metal album. Just a perfect balance of metal and prog to my ears.

Seventh Son was boring to my ears. It was an experiment, and although Maiden could be regarded somewhat as latter day prog metal pioneers, I think better prog metal has been made since.

I'm going to give powerslave another spin today. It's been a while, and I agree that's a good album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12