Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beatles: Rubber Soul or Revolver?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 09:57
^ Seconded. LOVE Abbey Road. A timeless masterpiece.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 15:56
Revolver is much more groundbreaking and is probably the better album but rubber soul is right behind it.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 04:33
They together would be a great double album. Big smile
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 04:41
I was just trying the experiment of making a single album out of the two and culling out songs and I just couldn't f**king do it. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 04:50
OK over culling it
Norwegian Wood
In My Life
If I Needed Someone
I'm Only Sleeping
And Your Bird Can Sing
Tomorrow Never Knows

Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 04:58
I decided it would be more fun to send both to a playlist and put it on shuffle.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 05:50
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

They together would be a great double album. Big smile
Quite right. I usually play them together anyway.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 04:23
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

George Martin said Rubber Soul is a great album, recorded
With big effort and will to experiment new sounds. And in his opinion Revolver is the second
Part of Rubber Soul.

Which album do you prefer?

George Martin is wrong.
Sgt Pepper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 06:29
Yeah sure he is. LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 09:08
Revolver is my fav album of theirs. I think there happened big step in Beatles music. There are no "Tomorrow Never Knows" , "Taxman", "Eleanor Rigby", "I´m Only Sleeping", "Love You To", "She Said She Said" & "Doctor Robert" in Rubber Soul. Of course it´s also better album than any Beatles made before that.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 17:32
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

George Martin said Rubber Soul is a great album, recorded
With big effort and will to experiment new sounds. And in his opinion Revolver is the second
Part of Rubber Soul.

Which album do you prefer?

George Martin is wrong.

Even George Harrison, in Anthology, says that Rubber Soul and Revolver are like the first and the second part of the same opera.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 00:21
Rubber Soul has one of my absolute favorite Beatles songs Nowhere Man on it. Plus Drive My Car is fun, obviously great Norwegian Wood, The Word is 'good' ... classics like Girl, In My Life, MICHELLE. 

But I agree with others who say Revolver is their best album. They also have all time(and I mean all time) great albums like Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper's. Some might add their self-titled 'White Album.' There's a reason the Beatles are often cited as the greatest band ever, and I agree that they are.  
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 17:34
If I had to pick one it would be Abbey Road but thankfully we don't have to pick one.  Perhaps in the end it was best that broke up when they did and left us with a few great albums...

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 06 2020 at 17:34

Sgt Pepper View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt Pepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 01:38
A few?????
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2020 at 01:43
Hard to say, what it would have been, if they had made reunion. I have heard in the seventies it was near, but one of them had refused (I believe it had been Lennon, my favorite from Beatles). I am glad both Stones & Who have continued, Stones made really great albums in the seventies, also nineties albums are really good, so did Who great albums in the seventies and also their two last albums are good too.

Anyway I think Beatles developed their music every year into Abbey Road, in Let It Be there was not much developing happening (yes I know it had recorded before Abbey Road) but has also some really great songs. But the biggest developing happened during the Revolver & Sgt.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 09:34
Now, over a year after posting in this thread last time, I Will change my mind and say Rubber Soul.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 13:31
Certainly my 2 favorite beatles albums. but i would say i like revolver more.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 17:02
I think Revolver is their best album.

I also love the "White Album", but it's a double-album.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 07:56
I find Martin's view quite right: experimentation had already begun in Rubber Soul, with the sitar on Norwegian Wood, and the baroque-like keyboard solo on In My Life, not to mention Paul's fuzz on Think For Yourelf. That direction was probably stressed in Revolver by the return of Geoff Emerick to the egineer's chair. Anyway, the important thing is that the songwriting on both albums is equally strong and pregnant with revolutionary ideas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123