Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Genesis albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which Genesis album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [39.53%]
44 [51.16%]
6 [6.98%]
1 [1.16%]
1 [1.16%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2019 at 15:41
Whoa! What happened? My vote for Trespass had it tied up 24/24. Now Wind & Wuthering has run away with it all in a mouse's night. I agree with the other posts about the inconsistency of W&W, but in my case that was enough to turn me away from voting for it. Parts are exceptional, but I just can't vouch for it as an album through and through.

Edited by HackettFan - February 13 2019 at 19:56
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 13:40
Of The PG era albums, I rate Trespass much higher than most.  I'm fond of all of them but except for Foxtrot, I listen to Trespass the most.  But the sweet spot for me is the Tony Banks Years, from ATOTT thru ATTW3.  W&W gets my vote here. 
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2019 at 17:40
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Whoa! What happened? My vote for Trespass had it tied up 24/24. Now Wind & Wuthering has run away with it all in a mouse's night. I agree with the other posts about the inconsistency of W&W, but in my case that was enough to turn me away from voting for it. Parts are exceptional, but I just can't vouch for it as an album through and through.

I prefer Trespass... but W&W have Hackett in highlits.
I think Hackett was a bit wasted in Genesis production. His talent has too often been unproven for the overflows of Banks. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2019 at 02:35
Wind & Wuthering is definitely a noteworthy piece of music. I love more energetic parts of 'Eleventh Earl of Marl', 'One for the Vine', 'Wot Gorilla?' or 'Unquiet Slumbers'. Most songs have something to offer, really; I can't say it's a consistent effort though. At times brilliant, reaching lofty heights of Genesis 72-75 peak, but sometimes also too smooth and lush. 'Your Own Special Way' is pleasing once every five years, but it's easily skippable. When it comes to atmosphere, it's sometimes spoiled with late 70s synthesizer sounds, reminiscent of Rush - not that it's bad, but I prefer the antiquated sound of their early years.

It always seemed to me that Wind & Wuthering alternated complex, progressive sections with whiny ones. If someone heavily reworked the album, cutting most mellow parts and making them a separate EP/LP, we'd have two very different records; the former for progheads, the latter perfect to put in a car CD player while driving across countryside with your lady.

Trespass is also soft and dreamy in many parts. But it's a different kind of 'dreamy', I reckon. It's like exploring the ancient ruins, meeting hermits on top of mountains or confronting fair-haired angels, dreaming the dreams you never had. Trespass is the earliest Genesis album that transports me to places far and far away. I love how it operates on Light <---> Dark axis, from sweet intros of 'Stagnation' or 'Looking for Someone' to most serious moments of 'White Mountain' and 'The Knife'. It really is the birth of qualities I like the most in Genesis; still pretty raw around the edges, but the dreams are there.

Even though I'd give Wind & Wuthering the upper hand when it comes to compositional craft, for this exercise I choose Trespass. I'm willing to give W&W another spin though, it's been two years or something...
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2019 at 08:38
Love W and W----its a big lush beautiful prog album---and if Your own special way was replaced with Inside and Out it would have been near perfect.Smile
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 10:53
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I prefer Trespass... but <span style="line-height: 1.4;">W&W have Hackett in highlits.</span>
I think Hackett was a bit wasted in Genesis production. His talent has too often been unproven for the overflows of Banks. 

Certainly. I agree totally. W&W had Hackett writing and playing the magnificent Blood on the Rooftops. Eleventh Earl of Mar was magnificent in spite of the "Daddy!" line that would always make me wince. One For the Vine was great stuff from Tony. Unquiet Slumbers and In that Quiet Earth were excellent group efforts. The keyboard timbres were exquisite throughout and framed the elemental (wind and weathering/withering) mood of whole album.

However, Afteglow is the sort of sappy crap we hear from Collins' later solo career. All in a Mouses's Night is an attempt to tell a fanciful story like their older stuff, but without the poignant lyrical input from Peter Gabriel and his on edge and occasionally dark vocals, it's hard to take this track seriously. It's like it's a children's song (move over Tom and Jerry). Your Own Special Way I actually like, unlike many other people on PA, but it doesn't need to be and shouldn't be as long as it is. Cut it in half. That's about 13 minutes of waste thus far altogether. Wot Gorilla! was filler, and as we know now, took up the spot Hackett wanted for Please Don't Touch and precipitated his leaving. Maybe if Wot Gorilla were developed more, if the keyboard lead was extended, had a much needed guitar lead and in general follow the depth of development of In that Quiet Earth. As it is, including Wot Gorilla?, W&W has about 16 minutes of ill-conceived of material to my mind.

Trespass, however, is a precious gem straight through. It needed better recording quality, but I rest my case.

Edited by HackettFan - February 16 2019 at 10:55
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 10:35
It's 'Wuthering, AFlower'. By a country mile, I might add.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2019 at 12:19
Trespass but it was one of those very first "magic" prog albums I heard. Visions of Angels is the only dud on it (might have enjoyed it more on From Genesis to Revelation - for which it was originally written and recorded) while the rest of the tunes are "part of my musical DNA"... blah the best I could come up with.

W&W is half or maybe even 2/3rds wonderful too though.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2019 at 00:52
Trespass is the best Gabriel gen album. Full of solid compositions. The next album in Nursery saw two members leave which produced a mixed bag of compositions. Hogweed and Salmacis the only real goodies for me
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 21:41
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I prefer Trespass.

Same 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2019 at 23:18
Trespass was Genesis and Gabriel trying to figure out who they were (I don't think they actually figured it out until Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot). W&W was written by mature musicians a the top of their game. The last Genesis album I gave a damn about.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2019 at 08:33
Wind & Wuthering 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123