Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about the multiple option in polls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about the multiple option in polls
    Posted: February 16 2019 at 09:27
Hello, I'm wondering how many times can you vote if "multiple votes" are allowed in a poll? Is it up to three or more than that? Thanks.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 09:49
There is no set limit, unless that has changed, so it can lead to "abuse".
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 10:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Oh ok. If I said in a poll "no more than three votes" some could likely ignore that and vote for every choice listed then? 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 10:21
^ Yes. Those kind of polls are easily abused, not that I would do such a thing.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 10:25
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Oh ok. If I said in a poll "no more than three votes" some could likely ignore that and vote for every choice listed then? 

Some might. I have often done multiple choice polls, and set limits, and I don't think that there has been abuse (the odd mistake...). That may be because people don't care that much when it comes to my polls and they tend not to cover popular choices anyway and I don't treat polls as contests. More often when I request multiple votes people only vote for one. Unless it's a contest, I would not worry about abuse or errors in voting.    If you really care about accuracy, then I would avoid enabling multiple votes.

I would like it if it would show who voted for what -- I've often been tempted to do polls where one can only write in one's choices -- no "silent" voters, mostly to encourage discussion about the choices.

We certainly have had deliberate abuse when it's comes to multiple votes at this forum before, although I have not noticed any obvious abuse for a long time.

Edited by Logan - February 16 2019 at 10:27
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 10:47
I did a suggestion to make the multiple vote-option abuse-proof by the usage of check boxes instead of radio buttons and cast the votes only once, but unfortunately nothing has been done with this.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2019 at 11:27
That would be better, but this is a Web Wiz Forum using Web Wiz forum software, which is an inexpensive or free option, and the options are limited. A different web forum service would be better and one might be able to customise it more. That said, due to the expense and effort when it comes to such change, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. Perhaps M@x, or a new owner, will change it down the road if it is seen to be desirable.
 Post Reply Post Reply