FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNICK MASON’S HISTORY OF PF BOOK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: NICK MASON’S HISTORY OF PF BOOK
    Posted: July 15 2004 at 16:06

Seems that there is movement on the matter. Nick Mason's Floyd book has got a new title: "Inside Out, A Personal History of Pink Floyd".  It seems that David Gilmour and Rick Wright had problems with the original title "The Official History" since they didn't have a hand in it.

From Brain Damage:

Further to our previous news stories about Nick Mason's own history of Pink Floyd, some of which came from Nick himself, we now have the latest on this eagerly awaited book for you.

"Inside Out: A Personal History Of Pink Floyd" by Nick Mason will be published by Orion Book on 9th September 2004. The hardback book (with a UK recommended retail price of £30.00), a hefty 360 pages long, will be chock-full of rare pictures to accompany Nick's own view of the history of the band.

This was the same publishers who were responsible for last year's Rolling Stones book, which was a treat for the eyes. It is therefore encouraging that Nick and the band's management have entrusted the book with them!

Those who recall the previous attempt by Mason to publish a history of the band, will note that the title reflects a subtle change of focus. The original version was to be called "The Official History Of Pink Floyd", whereas "Inside Out" clearly states that this is a personal view of events. It was said that David Gilmour was the principle objector to a book he hadn't collaborated with, being called an official book about the band. Every copy of the original version was pulped before reaching the public.

We are in contact with the publishers and EMKA, the band's management, about this title and hope to bring you more information about it soon. It should be THE book about Pink Floyd to own!

The cover artwork... has changed.  I think I liked the first idea better, but guess the second has more to do with the title..

Now its this:

THIS IS ELP
The Prognaut View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2004 at 16:08

So I guess the truth will never be uncovered entirely... hmmm...

Yes, I like the first cover better as well

break the circle

reset my head

wake the sleepwalker

and i'll wake the dead
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2004 at 16:08

More info on this book:

NICK MASON ON HIS FORTHCOMING BOOK "INSIDE OUT"

Brain Damage reports:
Nick talking about the book:

Quote:

‘I started making notes for this book in 1994. We had just finished a
world tour, and for the first time in many months I was not involved in
trying to stuff another bundle of free T-shirts, tour jackets, hotel soaps
and towelling robes into my suitcase. With a certain amount of leisure time beckoning, I thought it might be time to start dealing with the questions I’d been asked for thirty-odd years - "How did the band get its name?", "Where’s Syd?" and "What’s it really like?". It’s only taken ten years to come up with some answers.

‘I eventually decided to avoid a rundown of every gig, venue, weather
condition, catering, B-side and outtake. To be frank that seemed
exquisitely dull, and threatened to become drudgery. What I hope has
emerged is a personal take on the band’s history, with help from some
intense fans, virtuous friends and helpful colleagues.

‘Everyone, inevitably, has a different - often very different - view of what
really took place. I’ve simply tried to capture the elements that I think
give a picture of what I thought was happening at any one time, and to try to be honest about both the triumphs and the complete shambles that make up a band’s existence.

‘Above all, Inside Out is about being part of a band - shared experiences that stretch across four decades, the whole of my adult life.’

THIS IS ELP
 Post Reply Post Reply