Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alexandra Zerner for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tzeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexandra Zerner for Crossover Prog
    Posted: March 03 2019 at 02:49
Alexandra Zerner is a Bulgarian female guitarist with three albums released by now. The first two are strictly instrumental, as the first one is based on famous literature pieces, and the third one is kind of a two-hour prog opera with several guest vocalists.

2014 - 9 Stories
2015 - Aspects
2018 - Opus 1880

Music is a bridge between yourself and perfection.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2019 at 03:09
crossover not really, well-crafted music with strong metal affinity
not sure if this will be progressive enough for the metal team

Tzeck View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tzeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 08:27
Any news on that one?
In the meanwhile, she opened for Dream Theater in Sofia last year.
Music is a bridge between yourself and perfection.
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 07:46
Her new album is out:

I think it is quite enjoyable to listen. I would call it 'symphonic metal' it it makes any sense...
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2021 at 08:18
I wasn’t aware she had a new one. Listening now, it’s not as immediately impressive as Opus, and seems to be more melodic and less metal.

If the PM team took this up, I’d be inclined to give her a yes, as while some of her work is not as heavy as others, it is always metal based, and all of her albums are prog in one way or another.

Personally, I think Opus is a pretty hard album to follow, and it doesn’t surprise me she’s gone for a different sound with Silhouette. Opus is pretty much prog metal as people expect to hear it. Silhouette is almost exactly that, a more delicate shadow cast from metal origins, where the edges are less clear-cut and blurred.

I do think she deserves to, at the very least, be listened to by the PM team. I won’t be surprised if the decision is for her to be moved to another team, or even be outrightly rejected, but she had at least deserves a chance.

[EDIT] The further through Silhouette, the more I am not only liking it, but easily see the potential that I will like this far more than Opus. As per the way the songs are titled, and as described in the blurb, this is definitely an album that needs to be listened to as such - in order, and with no skipping. My idea of the silhouette remains, as the metal is still less overtly there, but at the same time inarguably present.  I definitely believe Alexandra has a place in PA, and it really is only a question of where. I’m not convinced Crossover is best for her, but then I’m not sure where is. As aforementioned, if she came to the Prog Metal team, I would definitely give her a yes. She is both prog enough and metal enough, to me, to easily pass muster. Would my fellow team members think the same? I’m not sure. Although we definitely have different tastes, and being different ideas about the bands under evaluation to the table, I think there might be enough here for admission to prog metal - and maybe a move to crossover, if not accepted in PM?

Edited by nick_h_nz - June 20 2021 at 08:33
 Post Reply Post Reply