Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums Wishlist

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums Wishlist
    Posted: March 07 2019 at 17:59
I own a collection of over 1300 records. Yet there is still a LOT of music I would love to have.

Some selections on this list are rather embarrassing (how the f**k do I still not own a copy of The White Album?)

Which is your albums wishlist? (Prog or not). Mine is the following: (I'll limit my choices to 50. No order whatsoever)

1- Porcupine Tree: "The Sky Moves Sideways"
2- Prince: "Sign O The Times"
3- Beatles: "White Album"
4- Tears For Fears: "The Seeds Of Love"
5- XTC: "Skylarking"
6- Mercury Rev: "Deserter's Songs"
7- Caravan: "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You"
8- Agalloch: "The Mantle"
9- Devin Townsend: "Terria"
10- Unexpect: "In A Flesh Aquarium"
11- Frank Zappa: "The Grand Wazoo"
12- Eloy: "Ocean"
13- Riverside: "Out Of Myself"
14- Sigur Ros: "Agaetys Byrjun"
15- Kayo Dot: "Choirs Of The Eye"
16- Mr. Bungle: "California"
17- Soundgarden: "Screaming Life/Fopp"
18- Anekdoten: "From Within"
19- Shub Niggurath: "Les Morts Vont Vite"
20- England: "Garden Shed"
21- Robert Wyatt: "Rock Bottom"
22- Tangerine Dream: "Phaedra"
23- Candlemass: "Epicus, Doomicus, Metallicus"
24- Depeche Mode: "Violator"
25- Pixies: "Doolittle"
26- Nick Cave: "From Her To Eternity"
27- Tim Buckley: "Starsailor"
28- Diamond Head: "Lightning To The Nations"
29- Morphine: "Yes"
30- R.E.M.: "Reckoning"
31- Echo & The Bunnymen: "Porcupine"
32- Husker Du: "Zen Arcade"
33- Minutemen: "Double Nickels On The Dime"
34- Supertramp: "Breakfast In America"
35- Leonard Cohen: "Songs Of Leonard Cohen"
36- Captain Beefheart: "Trout Mask Replica"
37- Velvet Underground: "White Light/White Heat"
38- Jefferson Airplane: "Surrealistic Pillow"
39- Cream: "Disraeli Gears"
40- Peter Gabriel: "Up"
41- Abba: "The Visitors"
42- Cocteau Twins: "Heaven Or Las Vegas"
43- Patricio Rey Y Sus Redonditos De Ricota: "Oktubre"
44- Talking Heads: "Remain In Light"
45- Pavement: "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain"
46- Gentle Giant: "Acquiring The Taste"
47- Roxy Music: "For Your Pleasure"
48- George Harrison: "Living In The Material World"
49- Birds And Buildings: "Bantam To Behemoth"
50- Jan Dukes De Gray: "Mice And Rats In The Loft"

Edited by Morningrise - March 07 2019 at 18:02
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2019 at 22:20
To be honest, I'd like to put into my collection all of my current favourite albums. This is because I currently don't own a record player (I listen to my albums on Spotify instead). 

But I really do want a record player so I can try out the vinyl experience...
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 14:21
Originally posted by Oganesson Oganesson wrote:

To be honest, I'd like to put into my collection all of my current favourite albums. This is because I currently don't own a record player (I listen to my albums on Spotify instead). 

But I really do want a record player so I can try out the vinyl experience...

I've recently purchased a vinyl record player and the experience has been great.

Most of my collection is in cd format and now I own between 30 and 40 vinyls.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 22:08
Some of these should be pretty cheap on CD especially used copies but it's also worth checking out box sets e.g. Tangerine Dream The Virgin Years: 1974-1978 has 5 albums for the price of a single CD here.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 22:28
My wishlist is very vague at the moment though, it's just to explore Tangerine Dream and Edgar Froese solo albums further when I've absorbed those I currently have and also depends on the price they're available at - I don't want to waste a load of money being completionist.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 22:34
The album I really want a hard copy of that I have digitally already is Island- Pictures. Pretty expensive.

The other ones I really want that are cost prohibitive are the first 4 P-Model albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 06:05
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Some of these should be pretty cheap on CD especially used copies but it's also worth checking out box sets e.g. Tangerine Dream The Virgin Years: 1974-1978 has 5 albums for the price of a single CD here.

Ha. Sure. In Europe. Try living in Argentina with our devaluated currency and all the restrictions we are subjected to in terms of purchasing imported goods

The only albums on the list I could have easily found all this time here in BA are "The White Album", "Living In The Material World", Depeche Mode's "Violator" and Peter Gabriel's "Up".

I do own records from 37 out of the 50 artists on the list. But not those in particular.

Edited by Morningrise - March 10 2019 at 06:21
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 08:36
Oh pooh - that's the sort of thing that would make me give up and turn to weird free downloads like the Avant Garde Project http://dream.cs.bath.ac.uk/AvantGardeProject/archive.html - funnily enough the first item there is by Mauricio Kagel who was born in BA but legged it to Germany in his 20s.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 09:52
My wishlist would be a Univers Zero live dvd. For everything else I pretty much already own it. The stuff I don't have is stuff I haven't discovered yet and stuff that hasn't been released yet. For example I had no idea that Hedvig Mollestad Trio would become must own until I finally discovered them recently. The journey of exploration continues.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2019 at 18:16
Abba: "The Visitors", check ✓
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 09:53
Originally posted by Morningrise Morningrise wrote:

Wikipedia says this was the first album ever to be pressed to CD so you have a historical item there Cool.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 10:28

Wikipedia says this was the first album ever to be pressed to CD so you have a historical item there Cool.

Ha. The bad thing is I purchased the vinyl. So no historic value at all.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 10:54
Anglagard - Viljans Oga

After a five years search/never saw that one below $100...finally found a copy (new) for 40 bucks last week.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2019 at 16:44

Ha. The bad thing is I purchased the vinyl. So no historic value at all.
I have the vinyl too, no monetary value at all, either.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2019 at 00:38
Apparently the Japanese release of Billy Joel's 52nd Street beat it into the shops so which album you could have played over and over to all your friends and relatives on your brand new CD player would have depended on where you lived Wink.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 09:07
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Anglagard - Viljans Oga

After a five years search/never saw that one below $100...finally found a copy (new) for 40 bucks last week.

Nice addition.

Here in Argentina, symphonic prog from Sweden is extremely rare to find. However, miraculously, through these years I did manage to find some treasures, such as Anglagard's "Hybris", Sinkadus' first album, or Anekdoten's "A Time Of Day".

Then last year I was lucky enough to visit Sweden, so I took the opportunity to purchase all the rest of Anekdoten's discography, with the exception of "From Within", which is still pending on the list
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 09:23
I have most of what I want, and have been really lucky in my attempts to track down what are usually pretty off the beaten track albums.
  I want the debut album by German jazz rock band Contact (who later became Contact Trio) recorded in 1972.
       Problem is, the only copy I know of for sale is really expensive -around $600 -and that is a lot of money for me.
       Actually, I just thought of something else, the debut album by Alpha du Centaure-from 1979, I found it on ebay, and am probably going to order it, as it is in my price bracket.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 11:14
I would say I too have what I have wanted, I am sure there are some but right now what I look for are particular pressings by some of the great mastering engineers like Bob Ludwig, George Marino, Greg Calbi, Steve Hoffman.
I am looking for VG++/NM copies of both AC/DC Back In Black and Rush Moving Pictures, both mastered by Ludwig at Masterdisk.

I really do not have a "list" as I like walking into the record stores and flipping thru all the bins....I like to be surprised.

Your 1 and 2 items are excellent records, I have both. Fantastic sound quality from both, but all Porcupine Tree records are amazing. 
The Riverside Out Of Myself, I would love on vinyl but that one was a LE and now goes for about USD200.00 and not sealed. All my Riverside records are worth at minimum 10x what I paid for them back around 2010. The CD will run you about USD15-25, all Riverside is usually high value records.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2019 at 12:00
sh*t, do you know how many albums I have wishlisted on RYM? I won't say; it's embarrassing. But let's just say it's too much to even think about listing here. 

Post Reply Post Reply