Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A venture into progressive EDM :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 08:30
Speaking of off beat, the other guys in Kluster went on without Conrad as Cluster where they used one of these primitive drum machines - or rather mis-used it by jamming two of the rhythm selector buttons down simultaneously Big smile.

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 09:10
Pioneer and late dream trance god Robert Miles also have progressive EDM. Hes Children album is an epic journey he also worked with Robert Fripp on one album.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5ZpAdIisTTsGTBqeeKwYKi?si=EjDjs88AS36vn0AB5-3KYg

Edited by Icarium - March 09 2019 at 09:12
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 09:17
I'm taking a break now - as a result of going on YouTube I've ordered 3 of Tangerine Dream's much maligned 2005/2008 remakes with added beats of classic 1970s/80s albums plus their very latest release. Look what you made me do Embarrassed.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2019 at 22:49
Martin Roth actually reminds me of the sequencer patterns in classic 1970s Tangerine Dream, there's possibly a far off influence, but of course has the beat you require. The sounds of TD though were more obviously analog, this piece is much more restrained and laid back.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 06:19
Mike Monday has some nice bubbly sounds and effects. The melody is very simple although the repeating with different sounds gives it a little variation. They're well chosen contrasting sounds however.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 06:31
Phaxe & Morten Granau is more to my liking, a solid mechanical beat that just goes on and on, simple tune, synths and electronic sounds.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 06:50
Koan is very pleasant, I'm sure I've heard that drum loop on a Godflesh industrial metal album but it's a good rhythmic one, the deep bass drones were great and the New Age synth sounds lightened it all and gave it something of an ethereal atmosphere. These were the digital sounds that really annoyed the fans when used for the remixes of much loved analogue synth pieces in the Tangerine Dream Tangents box set of 1994 LOL.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 07:17
Infected Mushroom is a great idea - EDM / metal fusionStar. It progresses most absorbingly through a lot of different sounds and has a great power to it. There's got to be some mileage in this sort of music although they need to be careful not to destroy their credibility by inadvertently drifting into While My Guitar Gently Weeps Wink.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 07:28
Faradize have really turned up the intensity here, it's very energetic and would get everyone moving although possibly to the point of exhaustion Shocked.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 07:37
Intuite is more of that spacey synth techno I quite enjoy Smile.
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 08:10
This is what I consider extreme EDM Tongue.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 08:33
^ Thats hardcore
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 08:35
2dogs, i reccomend listening to progressive house act Way Out West from UK. Intence stuff and beautifull.
Go for the debute album

Edited by Icarium - March 10 2019 at 08:36
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2019 at 08:40
There are tons of examples of progressive electronica not connected to the Berlin School P.E. that is featured on this site. 

A few faves.

My favorite Infected Mushroom album:

SHPONGLE is some of the best psybient

Of course APHEX TWIN has a lot

The French band Air had some progressive moments on 10000 HZ

And SQUAREPUSHER who happens to be on this site under jazz/fusion turned into a bona fide prog tinged IDM act

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Mind_Drive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mind_Drive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2019 at 06:33
glad you like some of it and took the time to listen to all of them, i really appreciate it! :)

your "extreme edm" is indeed pretty extreem! not really pleasant to my ears though im afraid^^

on the extremer spectrum but still enjoyable i find to be hightech and darkpsy:

once you figure out how to dance to 170+ bpm, it really can take you places ;)
It's just a ride... <3
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 04:41
^ Ha that was fun Tongue.

Tangerine Dream's Tangram 2008 is well worth a listen, it's been greatly beefed up compared to the 1980 version and now has the beats Cool.

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 07:02
Great to see some appreciation for this stuff here! Here's some submissions:
All not exactly proggy but progressive in ways that some people here should be able to appreciate...

Edited by twseel - March 15 2019 at 07:05
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2019 at 09:29
I try to keep an open mind but I just can't with this...
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeepingElf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:29
I think the term "progressive" in EDM (as in "progressive house" or "progressive trance") is unrelated to the same-sounding term in rock. In EDM (at least according to the German Wikipedia; the English Wikipedia differs, but doesn't give a clear definition at all), "progressive" relates to the progressive build-up of the texture, which is something else than the progression through different parts of the piece that is characteristic of progressive rock. I think this is hardly more than a coincidence that both use the same adjective to describe different things. Confusingly, the alternative rock press (at least here in Germany) calls a form of post-rock-derived alternative rock that is likewise characterized by a progressive build-up of texture, "prog rock". I have had discussions of this in various German-language prog communities, where my hypothesis that "prog rock" in the alternative rock sense is named after "progressive" EDM was widely rejected, so I am not sure anymore about what is going on here! But clearly, bands such as Tool, Mastodon or Antimatter do something quite different from what Dream Theater or Spock's Beard (let alone classic progsters such as Yes or Pink Floyd) are doing!

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2019 at 06:48
^ Oh I see, that makes sense. It gives us a good excuse to discuss something different though Wink.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12