Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Similar music to these

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Similar music to these
    Posted: March 27 2019 at 08:22
I posted a similar request earlier this year about a few bands that remind me of Shrek2, Ratchet and Clank and general fantasy themes form my youth.

I am in search of music with the same splendour and hook-and-bait as these below because these songs/artists are amongst the best I have ever heard and I will explain why.

I am very fascinated by the lydian mode hence my name. It is  amode that can attribute so much sadness but also have a pinch of hope.

1.) Artist: tony Patterson - cast away.
This song brings out the obvious - the lydian mode can never fail and if used right is the best mode to invoke a sense of wonder and mystical hope awaiting. No other mode has this capacity. It brings tears to your eyes in a sense of comfort and mystical union with the universe. 

Examples of songs:

2.) Sound of contact - sound of contact/ mobius ship( last part).

Fantasy metal. This examples are reminiscent of my earlier days as a child. It reminds me of hope and exaseprates musical talent and cinematic melodies.

My favourite songs are by far.

1.) Circle of illusion - jeremias - overture/the beginning ( the first part reminds me of a combination of the fantasy intoxication from Shrek 2 and Ratchet the clank. Also a sense of wonder reminding you of yourself as James Bond starring a new adventure role. I love the fantasy drive of this album and mentioned songs.

2.) 

I want people to post similar awesome albums and music/songs below. I fail to find great bands with so much emotional emphasis than the above mentioned.

Please help me out. Circle of illusion is awesome.

And now Arena.

Arena the visitor brought tears to my eyes. I did not like the new Arena album that much. Arena has a sense of drawing you into a reality of your own. One combining melancholic depression with hope. Almost as if something really, really is going down now. Arena has that awesome melodic significance displayed to invoke a sense of real fright in the listener. Examples of these are examples of 7th degree of seperation. Each and every track is a story line drawing the listener in.

I found similar signifcance in the band IQ. As well as Pendragon's song - leviathian. 

But please, I urge you guys to post similar bands and songs below. I am at the end of my tether to find simlar songs and bands. People call them "great' but I fail to find the significant impact emotionally displayed by the locus classicus ''great'' bands and artists out there.

Lydianlover View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2019 at 08:33
I forgot some cool power metal songs I wanted to add. Anthriel - light divine is also a very sad song with a powerful drive and strong lydian mode structure. I love how they wrote that song.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by Lydianlover Lydianlover wrote:

And now Arena.

Arena the visitor brought tears to my eyes. I did not like the new Arena album that much. Arena has a sense of drawing you into a reality of your own. One combining melancholic depression with hope. Almost as if something really, really is going down now. Arena has that awesome melodic significance displayed to invoke a sense of real fright in the listener. Examples of these are examples of 7th degree of seperation. Each and every track is a story line drawing the listener in.

I found similar signifcance in the band IQ. As well as Pendragon's song - leviathian. 

But please, I urge you guys to post similar bands and songs below. I am at the end of my tether to find simlar songs and bands. People call them "great' but I fail to find the significant impact emotionally displayed by the locus classicus ''great'' bands and artists out there.

I'd urge you to head over to YouTube and listen to these albums in their entirety:

Twelfth Night – Fact and Fiction

IQ – The Wake
IQ – Ever
IQ – The Seventh House
IQ – Frequency

Pendragon – The Jewel
Pendragon – The World 
Pendragon – The Masquerade Overture 

And if you already haven't, the first two albums by Arena:

Songs from the Lion's Cage
Pride
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2019 at 14:21
The end of pendragon's song leviathian reminds me of a childhood program I used to watch. It is absolutely magnificent. That part should be called "'heavenly castle''. It really gives the atmosphere of a celestial union.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2019 at 17:31
is the lydian mode so important to you that it does not matter what kind of music it occurs in? or does it have to be a special kind of music?

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lydianlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 12:31
It is an academic view more so... 

I am just after songs with the liking of the board with similarities to the ones I posted with a similar feel or texture. I am not confined to the Lydian mode only, but it is a very powerful mode which is why I adore it. It is the only mode that can provide the listener with a mystical union feeling, and when played slowly it can also induce sadness; but with hope at the other side.

the Phyrigian mode gives a sense of extreme doom. The Lydian mode would be the absolute mode to use for profound joy, where the Phrygian would be used for profound despair for instance. It is not hard if you are musically and mathematically minded, to see this reflection.

It is truly beautiful when played right especially slowly with a nuance of fantasy.

I just like the mode and noticed where songs have the sense of ''awe'' and amazement, the Lydian mode is most likely used in these peak moments in compositions.

So there is  clear science to this mode and why it was used in mystical traditions to invoke enlightenment.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 01:00
Don't know although the artists you mention in your OP interest me. It wouldn't surprise me if the English band Anathema use this occasionally but honestly I am guessing. The reason is that their albums We Are Here Because We Are Here and Weather Systems use a lot of themes about Spiritual Enlightenment and 'being at one with the universe'. Weather Systems in particular is my favourite album of the last 10 years. You might like it anyway even if it doesn't have any Lydian Mode.

Post Reply Post Reply