Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Searching albums with minimoog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kissthecarpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Searching albums with minimoog
    Posted: March 27 2019 at 23:47
As the tittle sujest, I am searching for prog albums that make use of that particular synth. Please feel free to recommend me works in that avenue. Thanks in advance Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 00:39
There are thousands.......
YES - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Early MARILLION albums, especially Fugazi
PENDRAGON - The Jewel
CAMEL - Rain Dances
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 01:12
I'm sure there was a thread before on this (use the search function)

ELP's Trilogy is a good one for mini moog especially the track Endless Enigma.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 02:33
RICK WAKEMAN - Criminal Record
Kissthecarpet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kissthecarpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 03:11
Wow, that's some material to check out, I suspected about rain dances, love camel.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 04:09
Originally posted by Kissthecarpet Kissthecarpet wrote:

Wow, that's some material to check out, I suspected about rain dances, love camel.
Bardens loved his Mini on this album - he had a really neat tone too. I think Rick Wakeman has the best tone I’ve heard on a Mini, - try his Journey to the Centre of the Earth or Myrhs And Legends albums - great Moog sound and playing.

Edited by Tom Ozric - March 28 2019 at 04:10
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 10:21
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 10:24
Bridge over Trembling Waters -Simon ad Garfunkle song the Boxer. also on Bookends
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2019 at 10:28
Meet Klaus Schulze, Master of the Moog.
Kissthecarpet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kissthecarpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2019 at 08:25
I shouldn't have stop at the wives of Henry VIII, haha
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 01:19
Mini Moog was the go-to keyboard back then....Patrick Moraz was a master on the things, he would use the oscillators and filters in very aggressive and unique ways!!  

Jazz Rock Fusion grew up with the mini-Moog - check out Return to Forever, Brand X, early Mahavishnu Orchestra etc.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 09:24
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2019 at 10:16
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Mini Moog was the go-to keyboard back then....Patrick Moraz was a master on the things, he would use the oscillators and filters in very aggressive and unique ways!!  

Jazz Rock Fusion grew up with the mini-Moog - check out Return to Forever, Brand X, early Mahavishnu Orchestra etc. 

For my money, Jan Hammer is one of the best MiniMoog soloists...and it looks like dwill beat me to it with a selection from that amazing record!

But...wait! There's more! 

Jan plays everything.

The only musicians on this track are the late great Tony Williams (drums) and Jan (MiniMoog, PolyMoog, Oberheim). From Tony Williams' great 1979 LP, The Joy of Flying.

As the first comment reads, the Hammer is strong with this one.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2019 at 00:11
^I agree, Jan is a monster on the Mini-Moog!  

I love very aggressive players....guys like Wakeman just tended to use simple settings and played their Moogs like a conventional keyboard, whereas players like Hammer and Moraz would really mangle the things with their hands! 

When I saw the Relayer tour (Nov 16, 1974), I wasn't that familiar with the music yet....I heard amazing soloing and kept watching Howe, but I was confused, as he was playing rhythm!  I then focused upon Moraz, who was REALLY working the oscillators and filters on his Moog, bending notes & getting amazing effects!!  

I used to read "Keyboard" magazine, and Moraz once said that he invented a new way to play the Moog since he used the filters and oscillators so aggressively.  It was fun to watch that in action!!  Jan Hammer would punish the pitch-bend wheel, also fun!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2019 at 11:25
^Loved Keyboard. Haven't picked up an issue for a long time. I should see what's out.

Post Reply Post Reply