Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zappa vs.Tull vs. Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which Of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [29.11%]
26 [32.91%]
30 [37.97%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deafmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2019 at 07:11
Interestingly, Frank and Ian Anderson are the catalysts of the majority of the music and lyrics. Only Rush can truly be considered a cohesive band effort in my humble opinion. However; of the 3 in the poll... Zappa & Tull both are fav's of mine while only Farewell through Signals albums manage to make it to the speakers these days. 
Deafmoon
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2019 at 00:27
Rush although I'm playing 'catch up' on the other two so it's not totally a fair fight.

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2019 at 04:41
I enjoy a handful of Zappa and an arm full of Tull but I need a wheelbarrow for Rush so Rush it is. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 07:09
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Zappa over Tull, with Rush a very distant third. 
Yep. 
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 22:04
Rush were strong for 4 years. Tull were strong for 12 years and Zappa 10 years. The votes are back to front as usual
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 23:23
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Rush were strong for 40 years. Tull were strong for 12 years and Zappa 10 years. The votes are back to front as usual

corrected
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 23:27
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Rush were strong for 40 years. Tull were strong for 12 years and Zappa 10 years. The votes are back to front as usual

corrected

Lol. Pretty crap since 85 lol. Presto had some good stuff though
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2019 at 23:35

corrected

Mainly 3-4 star albums but not crap. Vapor Trails is one of my favourite Rush albums even though I would admit it's more hard rock in style than prog , and that's basically what Rush because from the 90's onwards. They did experiment with grunge a little on Test For Echo but I still like that album nevertheless. Even up to Snakes and Arrows they were still producing acceptable music and were a kick arse live band.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 01:50

corrected

Mainly 3-4 star albums but not crap. Vapor Trails is one of my favourite Rush albums even though I would admit it's more hard rock in style than prog , and that's basically what Rush because from the 90's onwards. They did experiment with grunge a little on Test For Echo but I still like that album nevertheless. Even up to Snakes and Arrows they were still producing acceptable music and were a kick arse live band.

Grace and Presto were good. I find Pearts drum sounds pretty disappointing after Grace though
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 02:16
Counterparts was their last good album IMO.

They did little for me after that, although I still enjoyed them live. For me, the songs started to merge into one long hard rock dirge. Songs on the earlier albums had edges, corners, strong melodies, memourable dynamics and personalities of their own. As they got into their 50's, they turned everything up to 11, and stripped down their sound and became notably less progressive.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2019 at 08:39
^ Absolutely agree. Counterparts was the last album I really liked. After that they lost me for the most part. 
 They had some moments here and there but I'm not a big fan of anything from Test for Echo onward. 
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 00:10
I love Rush but I can't vote because I don't really know the other 2 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 03:05
1/ Tull
2/ Zappa
3/ Rush

Edited by tamijo_II - October 20 2019 at 03:06
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 03:13
a fairly easy decision for me. Ive never liked any Frank Zappa stuff.
Im sorry to say that for me, Jethro Tull turned out to be one of those  bands that whwn I investigated their back catalogue I found I didnt like their albums as much as I anticipated  I would.  Although Crest of a Knave and Heavy Horses are good albums. And they did do some grear tracks, eg Witch's Promise, Thick as a Brick etc
Rush did a run of great albums starting with 2112 and finishing with Signals imo so they get my vote.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123