Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What was the first "modern" prog rock album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 09:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I never really thought of Bjork as prog. Kate Bush is prog related maybe imo but that's about it. I think she's crossover prog on here but I'm not sure. I suppose that fits her too.

This is the difficulty with a discussion like this. Either something resembles the early 70s music we know as prog, and we write it off as sounding too retro, or it sounds nothing like it and we write off as not being prog.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2019 at 11:13
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I never really thought of Bjork as prog. Kate Bush is prog related maybe imo but that's about it. I think she's crossover prog on here but I'm not sure. I suppose that fits her too.

This is the difficulty with a discussion like this. Either something resembles the early 70s music we know as prog, and we write it off as sounding too retro, or it sounds nothing like it and we write off as not being prog.

Bjork not being retro has pretty much nothing to do with it. Does her music have qualities that fit the traditional definition of prog? That is to say long instrumental passages, a focus on the music(ie composition) and not just songs in general, tight musicianship, odd time signtatures etc? It doesn't have to sound like old prog much(if at all)it just has to fit the general description and be considered prog according to the template that made it different which is what set prog apart from other music in the first place. I don't just mean sound but also construction of the music. Based on what I've heard Bjork's music does not fall within the general prog guidelines. Is her music quirky and different from most other "mainstream music?" Sure, but so was XTC, The Tubes and a lot of other bands. It doesn't make them prog. Art rock sure but not true prog imo. Something can be progressive(which I'm sure Bjork is)without being prog rock. Yes, I know Bjork is on this site but so is Tori Amos. 

I guess it's all irrelevant to this topic anyway since the first Bjork album came out around 1993 or so which makes her a little late to the party regardless of we want to define her music.  

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 01 2019 at 11:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 00:09
Something by Iron Maiden ( The Number Of The Beast is the obvious one but could easily go Powerslave , Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son). Tracks like Phantom Of The Opera and Ryme Of The Ancient Mariner were certainly way more than just 'metal'. I remember reading in the 80's an interview with IM after Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son where they considered themselves to be a prog band just like Yes, Genesis etc and not a branch of Heavy Rock ( ie Zep , Sabbath etc) . I'm not sure I really agreed at the time but now it makes sense. Prog has moved in a heavier direction generally. Maiden were ahead of the game maybe?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 11:45
Iron Maiden bass player Harris was a considerable prog-head...so good call...
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 12:15
Judging from most suggestions here "modern prog" is a combination of a few slightly complex heavy metal-tunes and a simplified and poppier version of 70's prog - with synths. Doesn't sound right to me. Neo prog and sophisticated NWOBHM has more of a "last romantics during the beginning of modernism"-feel, than an actual birth or rebirth of anything.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 02 2019 at 12:16
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 12:36
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Something by Iron Maiden ( The Number Of The Beast is the obvious one but could easily go Powerslave , Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son). Tracks like Phantom Of The Opera and Ryme Of The Ancient Mariner were certainly way more than just 'metal'. I remember reading in the 80's an interview with IM after Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son where they considered themselves to be a prog band just like Yes, Genesis etc and not a branch of Heavy Rock ( ie Zep , Sabbath etc) . I'm not sure I really agreed at the time but now it makes sense. Prog has moved in a heavier direction generally. Maiden were ahead of the game maybe?

Do you recall where you read that article where Maiden in the 80's...said they were prog more than metal..?
Just curious.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2019 at 23:44
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Do you recall where you read that article where Maiden in the 80's...said they were prog more than metal..?
Just curious.
Smile

I can barely recall yesterday but this sticks in my mind because it was surprising to me at the time. Probably read it in Kerrang which I was occasionally reading at the time.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 11:46
If you read the Iron Maiden biography, Harris lists Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound as two of his favorite albums and influences on his writing...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 11:58

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Just curious.
Smile

I can barely recall yesterday but this sticks in my mind because it was surprising to me at the time. Probably read it in Kerrang which I was occasionally reading at the time.

Thanks......I just thought that was a bit strange since everyone I know offline that like Maiden think they are a 'metal band'....with a few prog hints.
But I am aware that Harris is a huge fan of prog.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 12:07
I can't imagine anyone living in the UK in the '70s not being influenced by Genesis, Yes, ELP, Tull, Floyd, etc.
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2019 at 12:16
I think prog and metal have always been a little intertwined. Even in early prog, there's a lot of heavy riffing (Schizoid Man, Peel The Paint, Heart Of The Sunrise, etc.), and early metal bands had a focus on longer, instrumental sections, big dynamic contrasts, fantastical lyrical content - and by the late 70s a huge emphasis on guitar virtuosity (think guys like Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc.). Iron Maiden doesn't really stand out to me as being way more prog than other metal bands (more prog than the average glam metal band, sure).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123