Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greta Thunberg's Houses of Parliament speech

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greta Thunberg's Houses of Parliament speech
    Posted: April 27 2019 at 05:23
I just read the complete text of Greta Thunberg's speech at the Houses of Parliament in front of British MP's, and I must say I am deeply impressed. that speech was a rhetoric masterpiece!

I especially love the rhetoric trick of asking twice if her microphone is ok and if everyone can hear her and then end her speech with "I hope my microphone was on. I hope you could all hear me". that is simply brilliant!

the whole speech can be found here:

there also is a video of that speech, but some idiot who has no idea of rhetoric cut out her questions about the microphone in that video. stupid git!

Edited by BaldJean - April 27 2019 at 05:23

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 06:20
The rhetorics are at least good indeed. Too good for a 16yo girl who spends her time sitting on the pavement or marching through city streets when she ought to be at school, maybe musing on manipulated climate statistics which she sees passing by on her smartphone, methinks. No matter if that microphone thing was a matter of brilliance or just perception.

It is just the political agenda behind it, exploiting the almost lovable lassie-know-it-all, that makes me cringe. But agreed, she can present it with much more drama than Klaver Jasser, Rob Jets and their likes in the political arena outside the borders of my little country.

By the way, maybe it's time for Earth on Fire to adapt that 1971 epic to a more actual version .

Edited by someone_else - April 29 2019 at 07:19
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 06:37
We could use more like her in the United States.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2019 at 06:47
I guess as an avid environmentalist she has some practical suggestions on how to acutely reverse population growth, reverse migration from poor countries to rich countries, and cut down industry worldwide to the level of the early 19th century or so? Or do her financers not want her talking about the real issues?
 Post Reply Post Reply