Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will science ever know everything?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 06:06
Originally posted by Tillerman88 Tillerman88 wrote:

http://hubblesite.org/news_release/news/2019-25

"New physics may be needed to rectify the universe's past and present behavior."

"Something is amiss in astronomers' efforts to measure the past and predict the present, according to a discrepancy between the two main techniques for measuring the universe's expansion rate – a key to understanding its history and physical parameters."

"Theorists must find an explanation for the disparity that could rattle ideas about the very underpinnings of the universe."

"Astronomers using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope say they have crossed an important threshold in revealing a discrepancy between the two key techniques for measuring the universe's expansion rate. The recent study strengthens the case that new theories may be needed to explain the forces that have shaped the cosmos."

"These most precise Hubble measurements to date bolster the idea that new physics may be needed to explain the mismatch. "

"The Hubble tension between the early and late universe may be the most exciting development in cosmology in decades," said lead researcher and Nobel laureate Adam Riess of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) and Johns Hopkins University, in Baltimore, Maryland. "This mismatch has been growing and has now reached a point that is really impossible to dismiss as a fluke. This disparity could not plausibly occur just by chance."

"This is not just two experiments disagreeing," Riess explained. "We are measuring something fundamentally different. One is a measurement of how fast the universe is expanding today, as we see it. The other is a prediction based on the physics of the early universe and on measurements of how fast it ought to be expanding. If these values don't agree, there becomes a very strong likelihood that we're missing something in the cosmological model that connects the two eras."

These are all good quotes, but nothing suggests that any of this CANNOT be known, only that it is not known at the present time.

It would still be possible to envisage a future time when these questions have been answered.
Songs cast a light on you
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 09:14
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I guess it was Einstein who said: Every scientific discovery opens a door that was closed, and opening that door, we discover seven other closed doors that we did not see before.

Yeah , who dares to disprove that please throw the first stone.
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 09:47
According to Richard Fineman, the goal of science is not to know things but for the joy of finding things out and the aww of discovering a solution to a new puzle. Science is not to find a satisgying answer but to always seek to always persue the fact that you really dont know.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 05:08
Not with its present ontological and epistemological assumptions.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 08:11
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

I guess it was Einstein who said: Every scientific discovery opens a door that was closed, and opening that door, we discover seven other closed doors that we did not see before.

Geeeee ... Einstein read THE BARDO?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 13:02
Regarding the OP question.....science might know everything...in 10,000 years...assuming anyone is still around then.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 13:17
Some people place too much stock in scientific knowledge. What I mean by that is if science doesn't prove it or it's not a scientific fact then they don't believe in it or even the possibility of it. So here is a list of things these kinds of people don't believe in:

The possibility of god or any kind of "supreme being"
Ufos and the possibility of alien life ever visiting this planet
Ghosts
Life after death/the after life (also past lives, future lives etc)
Big foot, lochness monster or any other unexplained phenomena

All I'm saying is that imo science does not and cannot explain everything. If you look back in history there was a time when people thought the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth etc. Science has caught up to those things and it's likely it will catch up to other things we don't have scientific evidence for. I am a fan of science. I like science. However, I also try to keep an open mind with things.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 27 2019 at 13:18
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2019 at 13:43
Add to the list

1. The existence of a being or beings or dimensions outside of our known universe unmeasurable by our science. While we may be confined to our time and space, this does not mean that they (if they exist) are.
2. Moral law is difficult to explain on the basis of science, and human decisions often run contradictory to what would be expected by science.
3. If bubble universes exist, we may never see them.
4. If we exist in an orthogonal space to another ... or a repeating space ... etc etc
we may never know.
5. If the universe expands and contracts like a yo yo or just expands ...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 12:00
^^  A lot of people who complain about science don't really understand it or the scientific method.  Science does not deal with proof, it deals with evidence and presents tentative models for better understanding how things work.

In science, it's about evidence as there is no proof (proof is used in logic, mathematics and law). It's not a closed system and every theory is open to questioning, adaptation or scrapping when new evidence comes to light. Science is about trying to understand how the universe works, but it shouldn't be making absolute truth claims as everything is open to reevaluation.  Hypotheses, theories and claims are provisional and tentative; they are subject to change.  One tries to present the best models. And the scientific method deals with that which is falsifiable, in other words that which could be proven "wrong". Of course I said In science there is no proof, but at the same time mathematics and logic are incorporated.   A less confusing way to put it might be to say "could be demonstrated"or "shown" rather than "proven" (rather too depends on what one means by proof, as well as what constitutes evidence, and wrong can be a tricky word...).

I don't believe anything with absolute certainty, and I prefer not to believe things without what I think are good reasons to believe in them.  I am a sceptic.  I don't claim to know what is possible or true in regards to many things.  I studied philosophy far more than science, and I like this from Plato, paraphrased, "The first step on the road to wisdom is the recognition of one's own ignorance."

Those who dismiss science because it can't answer everything, nor does it deal with everything, I think are rather missing the point and beauty of science. 

Edited by Logan - June 28 2019 at 13:45
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 12:25
I use science everyday in my work. It's a great tool, despite its limitations
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 18:26
The Hubble telescope images are amazingly beautiful. I have a poster from NASA with some of the more interesting images. I've always been particularly fascinated by pulsars, which are natural synchrotrons. Of course, we are looking into the past.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 19:13
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Science is a tool only corrupted by OUR limitations those being spiritual (how to direct it) and intellectual (the limits of our present abilities. The process itself is a methodology that if used uncorrupted becomes a self-correcting system. However there existst much phony science for political or economic purposes so as a tool can be used for the greatest good or the most horrendous evil.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 19:55
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Science is a tool only corrupted by OUR limitations those being spiritual (how to direct it) and intellectual (the limits of our present abilities. The process itself is a methodology that if used uncorrupted becomes a self-correcting system. However there existst much phony science for political or economic purposes so as a tool can be used for the greatest good or the most horrendous evil.

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Correction: ... despite the limits of detection of the instruments I use in my job. I would also like to clarify that I am not Dr. Evil. (Actually, I'm not sure I follow the logic here ... who are you saying is corrupting science? Are you talking about ethics?)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 21:26
^ it's a general statement. I'm talking about the fact that science can tell you HOW to build the car but cannot tell you WHERE to drive it. Those are two different aspects of reality. The WHY you want to build it or even drive it is yet another question altogether. 

I guess what i'm saying is that science is not the be all end all for every possible solution but has been very helpful for human evolution. While scientists were the equivalent of rock stars before the atomic bomb, the realization that the same methodology that saved countless lives could also be used to destroy them. As a science major for ten years in college i can atttest to the fact that it is used for both.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 22:19
Good points! And that having these bombs keeps the other who has these bombs in check. For a reality check on that, you might check out the flick April 19th. I don't know why I keep using the word check. I'm tired and I'm checking out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123