Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

21st Century Schizoid Man vs Firth of Fifth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these would you pick?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [35.29%]
34 [50.00%]
10 [14.71%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 12:11
FoF. One of the very best guitar solo of all times 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 18:12
I would rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy. Pun. Both songs are great, but I prefer one to the other.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 19:58
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Firth Of Fifth (just perfect in every single way)
Schizoid Man has got some fantastic playing but a horrible production (fix the damn drum sound!)

Listen to the live version on USA (or rather Collectable King Crimson Vol 1)
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 23:36
Genesis
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 06:59
Firth of Fifth.
Man, that guitar solo!!!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:00
Its not like my favorite song ever but nothing really compares to 21st Century Schizoid Man - and most certainly no other 1960's rock. And its still mindblowing. Firth of Fifth is lovely but I haven't got that special relation to it that so many of you do. 
handwrist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handwrist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:03
FoF. My favourite Genesis song.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 08:06
Even though I am a huge fan of both bands, over their entire discographies, I do have a bit of a leaning to preferring King Crimson.  However, I voted for FoF.  That is just transporting.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:22
I voted equal....the cowardly way out.  ;)
but if I were 'forced to choose' probably KC.....partially because it was over 4 years before Genesis track...and one wonders how much influence that KC lp had on other prog musicians.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:42
It's an unusual pairing both temporally and stylistically. What both do have in common is that they're both very popular Prog songs.

I love both, and it's super close, but it's rare that I wont vote for King Crimson in a poll when paired up against Genesis as I still listen to King Crimson regularly and hardly ever listen to Genesis. That said, if it were "The Cinema Show", I think that I would have gone with Genesis. But had 1973's "The Cinema Show" been paired with 1973's "Larks' Tongues in Aspic (part one)" then I would have gone with KC.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 11:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Firth Of Fifth (just perfect in every single way)
Schizoid Man has got some fantastic playing but a horrible production (fix the damn drum sound!)

Listen to the live version on USA (or rather Collectable King Crimson Vol 1)

The version on USA is fantastic!  Other versions from the '74 tour on "The Road to Red" box feature a Bruford/Wetton duet in the middle of the song that is truly jaw dropping Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 20:01
Genesis
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2019 at 22:50
F of F.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2019 at 21:38
I take the fifth. 
-John
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 15:31
FoF. It's song I absolutely love from its very start until the last note... I wouldn't vote against it whichever song would be in duel with it...
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2019 at 15:36
Firth of fifth!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2019 at 15:31
Awesome KC. I was totally stunned by TFCSM almost 50 years ago. It could have been Firth of Fifth with an oboe solo instead of flute.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12