Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beatles in two periods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogertheshrubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 17:14
Or call anything they did "gibberish". It was the end of the 60s. No baroque dreams for flutes floating around.
I have nothing to say occifer!
Rogertheshrubber View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogertheshrubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 17:26
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

The Beatles can actually be divided into four periods.  

The first dividing line seems to be pretty well agreed upon.  Help -> Rubber Soul.  Where they went from catchy but still simple and unremarkable little ditties/boy band pop songs and emerged into a massive explosion of what could be done in pop music. 

That middle period, comprised of Rubber Soul and Revolver, and to some degree, Sgt. Pepper, was the peak of Beatle awesomenedd before the third and final period, when all that creativity and experimentation went awry, descending into a mix of drug-addled gibberish, silly indulgence, and mindless hippie escapism.  
That's only 3 and I really don't think you can call Abbey Road "drug-addled gibberish, silly indulgence, and mindless hippie escapism"

Sorry, not sure why I typed four.  I have fixed my original post. 

Come Together = Drug Addled Gibberish
Maxwell's Silver Hammer = Even many Beatlemaniacs don't like this one
Octopus's Garden = Silly indulgence, and juvenile at that.  
I Want You (She's So Heavy) = Mind numbingly repetitious, so yes, indulgent.  And what does I Want You have to do with someone being So Heavy?  And who the hell is "she" anyway.  The song is musically interesting enough to hold for about three minutes (like most Beatle songs) but wears out its welcome long before it hits its 7+ total.  As for the lyrics, they're done even sooner.  

Other silliness follows in some of the subsequent songs.  

Thanks for your input Sgt. FridayTongue
I have nothing to say occifer!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 17:55
Maybe their meeting with Bob Dylan? Not sure. I would say rubber soul was more or less the dividing line. Not sure whether to include it with later or earlier Beatles since it has elements of both. I'll say rubber soul anyway as the turning point for the band.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 17:56
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Whoever decided to release The Beatles 1962-1965 and The Beatles 1966-1970 answered this question decades ago

Oh yes, the red and blue albums respectively. We had those when I was a kid. Two of the best compilation albums ever and you are right they pretty much settle this argument. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123