Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

yes (drama)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 01:33
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Machinemessiah Machinemessiah wrote:

Like it a lot.

Perhaps I'm a bit of a hardliner proghead (or for whatever reason) but at the end of the day Drama is the only Yes past 1974 I listen to regularly, with the exception of 'Wonderous Stories', that I listen through Classic Yes.

Don't know if I'm necessarily a big fan of Trevor Horn on vocals, but he surely does a great job, and it adds to the different sound.

I agree about it being their strongest post-1974 work. I'm one of the few weirdos that has mixed feelings about GFTO. I'm always up and down on that record.

I personally think this is also Trevor Horn's best overall performance as a vocalist. I think his range is fantastic for what the band were doing, and he had that "eccentric mojo" the band were known for.

Turn Of The Century is the only track I return to regularly. Awaken, to me, is a mess and a missed opportunity. Boring middle section and Jon's least melodic vocal turn.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a MASSIVE Yes fan boi. That album, along with Tormato, is their weirdest for me. I have to be in a certain mood to listen all the way through. My brain keeps perceiving it as a weird gap between their golden era and the early 80's, while almost (key word = almost) not really jiving with either era. It's its own thing, which is cool. I just have to be in the mood, otherwise it makes me just want to put on TFTGO instead LOL.

Needless to say, Drama rules.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 06:41
Great album. Run through the Light being a relative low point for me.

I bought this around 1985, and in fact, the only Jon Anderson fronted Yes I'd heard had been 90125, at that point. I didn't know much about the band at that time. Drama was just a stand alone, very good album, which I enjoyed thoroughly on its own merits.

After I'd listened to more "classic" Yes, I lost some love for Drama, but in recent years I have revisited this album, and do now consider it to be one of their finest, or certainly at least one of their most enjoyable.

Machine Messiah can't be faulted. Squires bass playing and bass sound, complimented by White's deep drums, lifts this track into the air, where it cruises along with the best of the bands 'rockers' A brilliant composition.

Man in a white car gives us time to catch our breath before the Yes machine takes off again. It's a strange interlude which has always intrigued me, and is in complete contrast to the tracks that sandwich it, but it always worked, even back in the day when I was a raw arse metal head!

Does it really happen may be favourite track on this album. That funky bassline and glistening keyboard parts are irresistable. The reprise of that keyboard riff at the end, I'm ashamed to say, I missed for the first few years of listening to the album, as I'd lifted the needle from the record prematurely in anticipation of Side 2.

Into the Lens was the first track I heard off Drama, courtesy of Tommy Vance on the BBC Radio 1 Friday Rock show in the early 80's. My initial response was WTF is this?? My friend and I joked that the singer sounded like he was in the Buggles or something. Turned out he was. Anyway, later listens confirmed my love for this slice of 'Horney' quirkiness.

Run through the Light sounds like an after thought to me. The track they needed to complete the album. Unfair perhaps. It has its moments, but it never really moved me.

Tempus Fugit is simply brilliant, wit it's soaring bassline and guitar riff. It's urgency and energy, and phasey vocals, drifting across my headphones. Another classic Yes rocker.

4.5 stars.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 14:09
it kinda got buried in the asia aftermath ,especially in canada ,only years later i realized what a fantastic record it was.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2019 at 23:50
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

it kinda got buried in the asia aftermath ,especially in canada ,only years later i realized what a fantastic record it was.

Yep probably same for me. Drama was just poor timing coming out when everyone seemed to be abandoning prog in a desperation to look 'cool' but in every other respects it was a great record.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12