Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wish You Were Here has overtaken Thick As A Brick
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wish You Were Here has overtaken Thick As A Brick

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 04:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Personally I think albums are overrated anyway. Most of the highest rated albums reflect consistency rather than inspiration. Tarkus was the most inspired prog track of the early seventies imo and gets a lot of praise on this forum. Where is this album on the charts? Nowhere because side 2 is a mix of 'ordinary' rock tracks and a bit of experimentation that didn't quite work. This is not a rant about ELP not being higher rated, I don't care that much (ok a little bit maybe but not enough to get upset about it).
I would like a rating system for tracks ideally. That would be much more interesting and makes more sense to me.
nb. Mosh will now tell me I'm only conditioned to accept 'songs' and I don't respect the artists choices.

I don't know about most but I do agree with this being an anomaly of the rating system.  But again, as reviewers, we can dissent and rate albums according to brilliance rather than just not leaving in a single 'bad' track.  That is what I have tried to do and it is why I gave Red five stars even though I dislike Providence.  And what is 'bad' track?   There is no bad piece of music on Tarkus or BSS, all people are saying is there are a bunch of throwaway tracks.  Whether indeed the throwaway tracks should be given so much prominence as to mar the brilliance of the epics is debatable and I agree with you that Tarkus is one of the landmark albums of 70s prog and ought to be rated as such.

Edited by rogerthat - August 18 2019 at 04:06
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 04:10
There is also nothing wrong with engaging with songs as opposed to albums.  Yes, some prog albums are concept albums and some others while not being concept albums are thematically consistent.  Doesn't mean all are or even have to be.  Did Beethoven release albums?  No, he just wrote symphonies.  There is much to discuss about the brilliance of epics and mini epics in prog on a standalone basis. I have heard this said almost from the time I got into prog that it is an album based genre but I got into prog by listening to standalone tracks like CTTE or Firth of the fifth and they hold up very well without the album context too.  I don't know that anything specifically can be done about the top 100 list to reflect which TRACKS are well liked on PA but we can and should discuss about great tracks standalone.  Why, even discuss great vocal or instrumental parts within songs. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 08:00
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There is also nothing wrong with engaging with songs as opposed to albums.  Yes, some prog albums are concept albums and some others while not being concept albums are thematically consistent.  Doesn't mean all are or even have to be.  Did Beethoven release albums?  No, he just wrote symphonies.  There is much to discuss about the brilliance of epics and mini epics in prog on a standalone basis. I have heard this said almost from the time I got into prog that it is an album based genre but I got into prog by listening to standalone tracks like CTTE or Firth of the fifth and they hold up very well without the album context too.  I don't know that anything specifically can be done about the top 100 list to reflect which TRACKS are well liked on PA but we can and should discuss about great tracks standalone.  Why, even discuss great vocal or instrumental parts within songs. 

I will not disagree with this ... it is well said and basically, correct.

I have "never" considered a song, apart from the main "concept" piece, so, for me, that "song" adds to the concept, in many ways, however, honestly, I can count the number of times that I bought an album (SPECIALLY IN THOSE DAYS WITH EXPENSIVE IMPORTS!!!!!) for just one song ... ex: I already knew that TAAB was a whole album and I wanted to hear it! And I bought it. There was no "song" in TAAB to help me buy it, either!

In a "commercial" age, where so many folks that post are almost strictly top ten fans, I am not sure that an album that does not have a "song" in it, can eventually win ... and this is also the knock on many other things ... and as I mentioned before I started in "classical music", thus, a "song" was not as important or valuable to me, as so much of the populace seemed to be with top ten stuff ... how can you take "seriously" (progressive or otherwise!) a song about a teeny dot bikini?

I wonder if us mixing the two ideas, really hurt the conceptual nature of a lot of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC in those days ... but then, other than PAAE by ELP, the rest of their albums were not exactly complete as suites of some sort, and in many cases they had songs that got on radio to help keep on selling their material. 

PF started out as a singles band ... they went away from it completely, however in DSOTM one of their parts in the concept album became really well known and played ... btw ... many FM stations played it because of the bad word, and they wanted to see the FCC punish them for it, just to give you an idea ... and in those days, the FCC paid old ladies to listen and count how many bad words, so the station could be fined or their license be in trouble!

That WYWH surpasses TAAB is not a surprise for me in this day and age ... no "song" in it, that helped make it better or famous ... can you even whistle 1 minute of TAAB? I can't ... but I remember the guitar opening by PF, then the machine song, and then the opus for me, Roy Harper! In that sense, then WYWH is probably a better representative than TAAB is, but what does it say about "Progressive Music" and its fans?

That's another story!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 09:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I will not disagree with this ... it is well said and basically, correct.

I have "never" considered a song, apart from the main "concept" piece, so, for me, that "song" adds to the concept, in many ways, however, honestly, I can count the number of times that I bought an album (SPECIALLY IN THOSE DAYS WITH EXPENSIVE IMPORTS!!!!!) for just one song ... ex: I already knew that TAAB was a whole album and I wanted to hear it! And I bought it. There was no "song" in TAAB to help me buy it, either!

In a "commercial" age, where so many folks that post are almost strictly top ten fans, I am not sure that an album that does not have a "song" in it, can eventually win ... and this is also the knock on many other things ... and as I mentioned before I started in "classical music", thus, a "song" was not as important or valuable to me, as so much of the populace seemed to be with top ten stuff ... how can you take "seriously" (progressive or otherwise!) a song about a teeny dot bikini?

I wonder if us mixing the two ideas, really hurt the conceptual nature of a lot of PROGRESSIVE MUSIC in those days ... but then, other than PAAE by ELP, the rest of their albums were not exactly complete as suites of some sort, and in many cases they had songs that got on radio to help keep on selling their material. 

PF started out as a singles band ... they went away from it completely, however in DSOTM one of their parts in the concept album became really well known and played ... btw ... many FM stations played it because of the bad word, and they wanted to see the FCC punish them for it, just to give you an idea ... and in those days, the FCC paid old ladies to listen and count how many bad words, so the station could be fined or their license be in trouble!

That WYWH surpasses TAAB is not a surprise for me in this day and age ... no "song" in it, that helped make it better or famous ... can you even whistle 1 minute of TAAB? I can't ... but I remember the guitar opening by PF, then the machine song, and then the opus for me, Roy Harper! In that sense, then WYWH is probably a better representative than TAAB is, but what does it say about "Progressive Music" and its fans?

That's another story!

To be clear, when I said songs, I was only using a colloquialism. I meant TRACKS, really. And when you talk about prog epics, these are 20 minute plus opuses with some like TAAB going past 40 min. We can safely conclude that such tracks in no way threaten the pop hegemony and therefore also cannot be conflated with them. This is also why I mentioned Beethoven because prog epics approach, if nothing else, the length and scope of concerti or symphonies. You would not have bought prog albums for a single track because only radio edits were sold as singles back then, not the side long epics. There is nothing to stop prog rock bands today from offering tracks individually for sale in the digital form. At least those bands that self release on bandcamp. And is that commercial? I think not, considering they make very little off these sales and no longer have the umbrella of label support that prog rock bands, at least a significant number of them, did in the 70s.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 10:56
I like to engage with specific songs/ tracks, full albums, full symphonies, specific movements etc. Generally I do listen to full albums, and full concerts, but I also appreciate listening to individual pieces outside of a greater work (in terms of concerts, I go to far more classical ones than rock, partially because I appreciate the more restrained audiences more as I like to listen to music, not hear the whoops of crowds -- I'm reserved).

There are many specific songs that I love, some of which are more mainstream than others (obviously I like avant prog very much, but I also like much more mainstream music). I used to make mix-tapes and mix CD-Rs, which would include songs by the likes of David Bowie, Robert Wyatt, Nick Drake, Kate Bush, Art Bears, and Laurie Anderson. Sometimes I liked to put my collection on shuffle.

There's lot of music that I discovered because of a single song or track. I discovered Nick Drake because I cam across "River Man", then "Fruit Tree" on youtube and adored them (after finding an article that compared "River Man' to Comus' "The Herald"). While I enjoy all of Five Years Left, those remain my personal Drake favourites -- those songs really resonate with me and say something about my character. Wyatt also often deeply resonate with me for individual songs, but when I listen to, say, his "Sea Song" I almost always listen to it in the context of listening to all of Rock Bottom.

When it comes to folk music, I often particularly appreciate particular songs, but then folk music has been very much about songs.

When it comes to Beethoven, while I almost always listen to the 9th Symphony in full, sometimes I do just want to listen to the second movement of his 7th (must admit that I really got into that because of Zardoz, and his 9th because of A Clockwork Orange -- film is such a big love of mine, and a lot of music I did get into because of film, with classical Schubert, Delibes, and Bach's cello suites because of The Hunger etc. -- that said I was listening to a lot of classical music before discovering those films).

As for chart positions, while I have done topics based on comparing the positions of rateyourmusic and progarchives, and have made polls using chart positions as its basis, I'm not that interested in ranking except in more general ways. With film reviews, my preference was for those that described the films, drew comparisons, and said things about the messages of the film etc. without rating the films. I used to think rating very silly, but I have found some use for it some people who share similar tastes, and just to see what individual forum users like as personal lists. If I were a review writer, only written a few at PA, I'd actually rather not rate them at all -- well, I would like a have a list of my ratings, but have that separate from my reviews and just as an expression of my interests/ experience. I wouldn't bother rating ones that are not to my taste, so my ratings would tend to be high. I'm bound to rate a lot of Art Zoyd, Cos, and Magma high because I love those bands.

By the way, in various topics of mine, often I do focus on individual songs/tracks not because I don't appreciate the albums they are off, but because it makes it easier to expose people to music and fine-tune/ focus the discussion, and because I do like getting recommendations based on what I like. If I like the track someone posts in response, then I will look into more music and full albums by the artist. A great deal of the music I love is fairly obscure and quite a lot of it isn't. I love progressive music such as Egisto Macchi and Luc Ferrari and mainstream stuff such as The Carpenters, and people such as Ennio Morricone who have delved into a variety of styles. And I love music by many more recent artists such as Dan Jones, and modern retro music such as Kosmischer Läufer, but I ramble.

To each his or her own.... Live and let live. There is no one right way or wrong way to listen to, enjoy and evaluate music. What matters to me is that people are enjoying it, and that I have some communal way to share those experiences and passions with like-minded individuals, and that we can appreciate different perspectives, and engage in honest, respectful dialectic. But I have rambled badly per usual.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 11:10
Looks like Court Of The Crimson King passed both of them now, a shift I don’t disagree with frankly
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 13:01
Someone on a classical forum pointed out the issue rock music has with the sanctity of the original studio recording. Nobody has a problem with different musicians playing new and varied interpretations of classical pieces and can even get excited about more coming out or being performed in concerts and so they’re kept alive and relatively fresh rather than being 50 year old recordings heard a thousand times.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 14:19
The rankings are crap here. Pretty much every bands fave album of mine is ranked lower than one with weaker melodies and compositions. PA prefers the less genius stuff
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Foxprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 15:01
Can you tell me some of your favourites from the bands here?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2019 at 23:56
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Well we had this...
...with Tarkus on 5. I tend to be with Mosh on this one though, albums seem to me the far more natural unit for prog than songs.

Interesting indeed. I don't remember this thread at all , might be when I was taking a break from the forum .. something that might be on the horizon again!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 00:14
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Someone on a classical forum pointed out the issue rock music has with the sanctity of the original studio recording. Nobody has a problem with different musicians playing new and varied interpretations of classical pieces and can even get excited about more coming out or being performed in concerts and so they’re kept alive and relatively fresh rather than being 50 year old recordings heard a thousand times.

Which takes me back to Tarkus. I don't want to appear obsessed but it is my favourite piece of music although the live version on the triple album is my favourite version. Emerson saw it as a piece that could evolve and should not be stuck in it's original performance. I also love a version that the Japanese group Ars Nova did for an album. They added a Japanese flavour that was beautiful to my ears. I love listening to that version more that the studio equivalent. I always wondered what Keith Emerson thought of it assuming he ever heard it. Of course there is also Rachel Flowers wonderful piano version of it ( Mosh and I can agree on this!).

I've noted a few classical compilation albums of Orchestra's playing famous prog tracks. I would always be well up for this and it would be nice if there were live events that did this . Perhaps it goes back to the stuffy nature of classic music where it has to be Mozarts greatest hits rather than give creedence to some rock musician who was supposedly just being 'pretentious' . Why couldn't Tarkus or Tubular Bells be played alongside Mozart or Beethoven? Would that be so ridiculous?!

Edited by richardh - August 19 2019 at 00:15
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 00:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

... Why couldn't Tarkus or Tubular Bells be played alongside Mozart or Beethoven? Would that be so ridiculous?!

Been saying that for almost 50 years ... and hoping as well!

And that was one of my points to the Portland Symphony ... when they were asking around how they could improve their "crowd", which is decimated ... and I sad, point blank, that the music director had to go and he had to know what folks like Frank Zappa, Mike Oldfield, Vangelis and/or Ryuichi Sakamoto were all about ... not to mention even involving someone like a Jean-Luc Ponty ... and one of them looked at me and said ... "that's all and well, but we don't need pop music in our program" ...

In other words, they don't even know, or give a damn, about who those folks are and the music they made!

Sounds familiar? (In reverse!)

Edited by moshkito - August 19 2019 at 00:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 09:54
Rachel Flowers’ “Tarkus” is certainly impressive .
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 11:30
I think this carcass...I mean Tarkus...has been picked over quite enough
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2019 at 13:58
Can’t wait for my Stormwatch box to arrive. It’s going to be even better than Taab. Heaps of cool tunes on this double album
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 03:59
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Can’t wait for my Stormwatch box to arrive. It’s going to be even better than Taab. .........

No its not!

Stormwatch has great moments, average moments and below average moments (IMHO). No masterpiece tracks to be found.
North Sea Oil...great
Orion...great
Home...great
Dark Ages...good to average
Warm Sporran...average
Something's On The Move....good
Old Ghosts...below average
Dun Ringhill....great
Flying Dutchman....average
Elegy....great

the known "associated recordings" in the box set:
Crossword....below average
Kelpie...average
A Stitch In Time...average
Broadford Bazaar...below average
King Henry’s Madrigal...below average

The previously unreleased tracks for the box set? Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

So no, it's not going to be better than TAAB.

By 1979 I was looking more towards post-punk than JT.....however when A was released in 1980 I was back on board the Tull train.

Edited by BarryGlibb - August 20 2019 at 04:01
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 05:16
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Can’t wait for my Stormwatch box to arrive. It’s going to be even better than Taab. .........

No its not!

Stormwatch has great moments, average moments and below average moments (IMHO). No masterpiece tracks to be found.
North Sea Oil...great
Orion...great
Home...great
Dark Ages...good to average
Warm Sporran...average
Something's On The Move....good
Old Ghosts...below average
Dun Ringhill....great
Flying Dutchman....average
Elegy....great

the known "associated recordings" in the box set:

Crossword....below average

Kelpie...average

A Stitch In Time...average

Broadford Bazaar...below average

King Henry’s Madrigal...below average

The previously unreleased tracks for the box set? Well, we'll just have to wait and see.

So no, it's not going to be better than TAAB.

By 1979 I was looking more towards post-punk than JT.....however when A was released in 1980 I was back on board the Tull train.

Stitch in time is excellent imo. One of Tulls best tunes. How could you think it’s average? Crazy Crossword is cool also. Similar quality to North Sea oil imo. I also love blues instrumental(Lyricon blues). Kelpie and King Henry are quite good. I love North Sea and Rungill from the album. Dark and Something are fairly cool. Elegy quite good. Orion solid. I like Dutchman. While Ghosts, Home and Sporran aren’t bad. The remix will improve every tune though. I’d rate 1979 as a better year and I love Taab. But I also rate 78, 77, 71 almost just as high.

Edited by dr prog - August 20 2019 at 16:48
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2019 at 07:19
Originally posted by 2dogs 2dogs wrote:

Rachel Flowers’ “Tarkus” is certainly impressive .

For me? I think it put a dozen or so keyboard players in the tank for beginners! 

As much as I like RW, I would rather have Rachel in my band! He can play "notes" ... she plays "music" ... and there is a huge difference!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456