Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spring loaded dials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring loaded dials
    Posted: September 21 2019 at 10:39
Does anyone know about the sort of dial used by Ibanez here in the pics? The dials are spring loaded. If they're pushed to spring up, they can be turned, but when pushed down they are protected from being turned. I have an idea I'm developing for an analog circuit. I'd like to incorporate multiple rows of pots with a switch between the rows to get pseudo presets. It would be nice if the dials were spring loaded like this so that a setting was effectively "stored". Has anyone seen these on the market? Know what they're called? And/or, know where I can order them from?

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 04:02
That's a difficult one. I've seen spring return potentiometers (release knob, it spring returns to the zero position) but I've not seen push in pots before. 

With potentiometers, if you do go off piste and don't use a standard 16mm, things get complicated very quickly. I use a lot of 9mm panel mount Alpha pots (as well as 16mm Alpha) and Bourns PTL illuminated slide pots and tall Song Huei panel mount trimmers. These are relatively common but still monstrously difficult to get.

A lot of synth DIYers get together and do group buys from sources in Taiwan (etc) as some components like this are rarely manufactured - or rather, manufactured to order, so there's a minimum buy of, say, 1000 or 10,000. Which is a bit inconvenient when prototyping a pedal. Ibanez will, of course, have the purchasing power to buy these in bulk, average pedal builders certainly don't. 

I was looking just now to see if there's any such creature as a "locking" potentiometer, but I've not come across anything, not something which would fit in a Hammond enclosure, anyway. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 04:09
Even Ibazez don't offer Tone Lok pedal parts any more. Old pedal, of course, 1999-ish.

http://www2.ibanez.com/parts/2004_PARTS/el_guitar/list/potentiometer.html

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 04:11
Says here that Digitech Hardwire pedals came with a locking ring so you could lock the pot in position by twisting a collar. Made it a bit difficult when you wanted to change it, of course. 

I think the problem you have is, well, really, cosmetic. ;-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202784461871?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=202784461871&targetid=522579827663&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006904&poi=&campaignid=1782815712&mkgroupid=70885936682&rlsatarget=pla-522579827663&abcId=1139126&merchantid=115015995&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqODyqKPz5AIVitDeCh0cPgmVEAQYAiABEgIGEvD_BwE

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2019 at 19:39
Thanks, Dave. I was optimistically hoping for a eureka discovery, but not so likely it seems. The locking ring is intriguing, though. Yes, the problem is largely cosmetic, but there would be a major benefit in having the confidence that one would not accidentally move the position of a neighboring dial.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply