Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Once again debating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fabien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Once again debating
    Posted: November 04 2019 at 02:25
No actually I just wanted to make a remark here on Megadeth not being included in prog related. Well, it's obviously not a prog band at all, but well if Maiden or Metallica is here, why Megadeth is not? Less proggy definitely not on some levels !
These bands should be assessed in terms of innovations they brought to their genre and hell they were all innovative, you've stated why Iron Maiden or Metallica were, I agree.
But clearly the intricate guitar works and rhythmic in Megadeth, especially on Peace sells and rust in peace, or the jazzy guitar solos by Poland, Samuelson's drumming is almost grooving, and that's surely innovating. Jazz musicians playing thrash metal, Menza, Poland, Samuelson were all fusion jazz musician. The chord progression used in Hangar 18 (or The Call of Ktulu), innovating solos, even exotic scales in Holy wars, engaged lyrics. If Extreme tech metal is considered prog, well, guess who has influenced them?
At that time that these elements were clearly progressive for metal and that's why they should be included. Their music is still innovating, especially on a few release, but it's not even prog related. But what about Maiden or Metallica?
The first can add piano and strings and compose long songs, but that's absolutely not progressive, And Metallica is barely prog too. I thought these bands might have been deemed prog related by their influences and innovations on their time. Then if it's the case, Megadeth was as innovative as the one previously cited.
I would say that Megadeth is less proggy in the structure and sound than Metallica, Their style has a punk influence in it, but their unique blend of metal at that time made them progressive.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 02:31
First you have posted this in the wrong place, Megadeth is not an unsigned band.
Second, don't use the "if X band is here, than Y band should be, too". It's never reason enough.
Third, well suggest them then. See what happens. If I remember right, Megadeth for prog-related has been discussed before...
fabien View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fabien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 22:11
Yeah I didn't not say it was a reason...
And I didn't know where to post this, sorry..
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2019 at 23:50
As Cristi eluded to, that's not really how it works.   If that were the case, many bands would be added that aren't progressive or prog-related.   I can think of quite a few hard rockers such as the Scorps, UFO, etc.   But when compared to acts such as Voivod or even Maiden, Megadeath don't necessarily qualify.  

Prog-related is not a category for any group who has some progressive leanings, but rather a place for bands who had an impact on prog rock or prog metal, or who were heavily influenced by the prog movement, and so carries a higher standard.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply