Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Musical Box - Barcelona 11 Nov 2019

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Musical Box - Barcelona 11 Nov 2019
    Posted: November 13 2019 at 03:01
Last monday I attended the show by The Musical Box, this time performing "A Genesis Extravaganza Volume II".

Having seen them already 3 times before this one, I knew what to expect. Great recreation of the original Genesis shows including background videos, clothes and costumes, and the use of the same vintage instruments. And most importantly, superb playing.

This time the tour focuses on a mixture of Gabriel and Collins -era songs (1970 - 78), including a few songs which I had never seen being performed live by Genesis. The singer does a better impersonation of Gabriel but his performances of the Collins songs are also fatithful.

The venue was the Barts Theatre, which has a comfortable layout for the audience and good acoustics, the sound was very good with special mention of the clear and powerful bass and Taurus bass pedals. The capacity is 900 people and it was fully packed.

The setlist was great, mixing top tracks with a few rarities. From the era 1970 - 78, only The Lamb was not represented, but we have to consider that 2 years ago they came to the same venue performing The Lamb in it entirety, so it was not missed, and they announced that next year they will be coming again to perform The Lamb.

Set list:

Eleventh Earl of Mar
Dance on a Volcano
Entangled
Down and Out
Medley ...in that Quiet Earth / Robbery, Assault and Battery / Wot Gorilla?
Ripples
Los Endos
The Fountain of Salmacis
Stagnation
Can-Utility and the Coastliners
Looking for Someone
Firth of Fifth
The Cinema Show
Aisle of Plenty
The Musical Box

Encore:
Supper's Ready