Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Fans In Your 50's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 08:15
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I can imagine.  What's the point of doing a show if it's only for yourself. Wink
  That's true, but in the days of old radio whence prog arose, no one knew for certain unless you called up the DJ on the telephone.  Now they can actually talk much more easily with their listenership.

I don't know ... if we took that stance and not doing something for "myself" ... then what is the point of all art, all music, all literature ... when it's all about your inner experience?

Except the commercial poop, of course ... then we go about saying that anyone in it for themselves is an idiot and a non-social this and that ... or worse, a few years back, they called them a communist!

You are an artist, NOT BECAUSE of what anyone tells you ... you are an artist because this is how you feel and this comes out ... and we have to give that some credence ... 

If you do not believe me, take a look at a lot of "progressive" music ... if you don't do it for "yourself" and how you feel you want the music to go ... do you really think that we would be here discussing this 50 years later? You really think that going back even more that a Stravinsky or a Picasso would have succeeded if they were not doing what they saw ... which is akin to saying "for themselves".

Another one ... SPACE PIRATE RADIO ... has been back on the air on Twitch.TV and it has a dedicated following, and some of the folks were people that heard the show way back when in 1974 or so ... and if Guy had not stood up for "HIMSELF" and not been abused, literally (I have examples!!!) by the radio station folks at the time, I doubt his show would be that well known and appreciated. And the list of people that stopped by and had fun with it ... is insanely amazing ... and probably the best one ... "... mighty glad to be here ... ", or " ... you must hear Space Pirate Radio!" ... 

This is not all about fans that are old folks, though you could say that some of us are ... but there are some younger folks in the midst ... and one even said that his friend heard some by chance and thought it was really cool!

Give NEW/DIFFERENT stuff a chance ... it's not all about "himself" at all, just because it is different!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 14:58
You have a good point, Moshkito. Great graphic artists don't give a rat's ass about what anyone thinks of their art and great musical artists are no different.  This is what makes artists that do care about what people think about their art in any genre rather boring.  They may be artists but great art is about is just letting it out, isn't it.  Sometimes you may produce crap.  Sometimes you may make something really great.

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 06 2020 at 15:00
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2020 at 20:11
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

You have a good point, Moshkito. Great graphic artists don't give a rat's ass about what anyone thinks of their art and great musical artists are no different.  This is what makes artists that do care about what people think about their art in any genre rather boring.  They may be artists but great art is about is just letting it out, isn't it.  Sometimes you may produce crap.  Sometimes you may make something really great.

There are some images, that come from movies, that really bring this whole thing home ... and sometimes I call it the "artist's revenge" ... and watching a film about Pollock and him taking a piss on one canvas ... kinda brings this home ... you want garbage? ... here it is ... !!!

I'm not cynical enough to go around and say that an artist has to be a jerk, and sometimes just ignore everyone left and right ... but I will always defend the artist's ability to create something ... that is magical for all of us ... and my best way to exemplify all this is in literature ... I was born into a house that had a writer that became very well known in Portuguese Literature, and our house in Santa Barbara ended up with about 40K plus books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian literature ... and I have to tell you ... one very important thing ... you gotta see it ... all that PAPER IN THOSE BOOKS ARE NOT TOILET PAPER ... and the way we look at a lot of music these days ... it's like some is tops and the rest is bottom ... and the whole thing degenerates to a really sad and disappointing discussion, where folks, really do not even know for themselves what was it in the art that made them feel so empty?

The freedom of this "human element" is more important to a culture than anything else ... and it is shameful that so many places on this earth are doing their best to kill it ... and a place like this, despite saying that they are about this and that, in the end don't respect, or care for the rest of the human spirit that has different styles and music ... or the same thing in literature or in a painting!

I guess that when you are old, you can speak like this ... but I doubt that a young person can not see this for themselves ... many can!

Edited by moshkito - January 06 2020 at 20:12
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 09:28
If you're in your 50s, you couldn't AVOID prog - it was the mainstream.  Even the R&B groups of the day incorporated proggy elements - it was peppered all over everything.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 12:59
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

If you're in your 50s, you couldn't AVOID prog - it was the mainstream.  Even the R&B groups of the day incorporated proggy elements - it was peppered all over everything.  

Sorry but being now in my 50s means i was Born in the late 60s and at the time I developed
a own taste for Music which was when I became a teen it was already the 80s and Prog was
dead so long that it smelled real bad. 

Edited by TheH - January 12 2020 at 12:59
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 13:40
Did I miss the prog fans in their 60's thread? I'm a year too old for this blog. Smile
ANDROMEDA - Too Old

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345