Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In Cauda Venenum a few months later

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Cauda Venenum a few months later
    Posted: December 29 2019 at 16:36
So i'd like to know what everyone thinks of this album now that theres been time for it to settle in. I'd also like to ask where you believe it ranks compared to their other albums. I personally really really liked this album and it's gotta be my favorite album of the year that i've heard (which disclaimer: is a small list).

One flaw I can really point to is that its maybe one or two songs too long for my preference and it could probably go without the ambient opening track. As far as comparing it to the rest of their discography, as of now, i'd say this in in the upper tier of their albums in their discography. 

Love Death Metal Opeth and prog Opeth!

Edited by dougmcauliffe - December 29 2019 at 17:11
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2019 at 17:03
It's very solid, very consistent, but still, to my mind, just another well-polished rock-with-prog-tendencies album. An entire album of A-B-A-B songs in which the two choices are sudden shifts between hard and soft is a bit much, in my opinion. Still, I cannot argue with the band's mastery of their crafts.  
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply