Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whichalbums of the sixties should be inthe Top100?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whichalbums of the sixties should be inthe Top100?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Chose one, two or three answer
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [1.75%]
6 [3.51%]
1 [0.58%]
12 [7.02%]
17 [9.94%]
13 [7.60%]
10 [5.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.58%]
10 [5.85%]
20 [11.70%]
3 [1.75%]
6 [3.51%]
3 [1.75%]
12 [7.02%]
4 [2.34%]
9 [5.26%]
4 [2.34%]
14 [8.19%]
1 [0.58%]
5 [2.92%]
5 [2.92%]
1 [0.58%]
7 [4.09%]
4 [2.34%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 02:15
Both of Pink Floyd's albums and both of the Moody Blues albums, although I'm happy with the PA Top 100 as it stands now. Smile
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 03:32
"The Crazy World of Arthur Brown" should be in the top 100.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 03:43
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Top 100 ends with 4.23 and 4.22
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown is 4.09. Not a bad rating if you ask me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 03:48
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Top 100 ends with 4.23 and 4.22
The Crazy World of Arthur Brown is 4.09. Not a bad rating if you ask me.
He's still crazy after all these years. Remember, Arthur Brown was the man who set his hat on fire before his appearance on Top of the Pops in 1968. Smile

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 07:41
We're Only In It For The Money
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 08:57
Pink Floyd: Ummagumma

but nice call with: "We're Only In It For The Money" great album surely 
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 12:55
voted for
A Saucerful of Secrets
Valentyne Suite
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 13:45
Ummagumma is the only one I'm sure of; Lost Chord and Saucerful almost qualify.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 17:47
Odd that the Moody Blues Days of Future Passed is not on your list, as it is considered the most progressive of the 1960s albums that band released.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 18:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Mortte: 600 is not a low number. If 600 people love the album that much, why should it not be high up the list? In statistics 600 is a pretty good sample size to estimate an average. (By the way I'm not one of these people. Cool)

If 1000 ratings would be required or something, no new album and no album of less popular genres would ever have a chance to reach the top 100 (I think no RIO album apart from Zappa has anywhere near 1000 ratings; the maximum in Zeuhl seems to be 972 and there seem to be only 2 albums above 500).

Interesting ... although I think that new albums might be able to gather more ratings than we have seen in the past ... when the bands were not as well known ... the thing that is really weird for me, is that the time, place and folks, do not show a good enough vision of the time when the albums came out ... and with that said, it should be all the early albums, always on top, and this is not the case, but there is a serious discrepancy in the listening of one band that got 1500 ratings, and a newer band, that in 2 years came up with 600 ... taking an "average" per year, YES, GENESIS and many of the early bands, would not do as well ... so if a band averages 400 in each of those two years, and the big gorillas have only gotten 50 ratings each in the past 5 to 10 years, then we have an issue ... as I see it.

Maybe an "average" would make an interesting story, and likely a completely different set of the top 5 or top 10 ... which in my book, would be VERY GOOD FOR THE MUSIC! I love those old/early things, but we really need to start appreciating more the newer stuff, and sometimes we don't because it doesn't sound like it, which is weird since "sounding like it" is not a "progressive rock" item or a part of its definition, but the choices for many bands' inclusion is ... the sounding like it ... and my favorite example is the great goon's book that says keyboards are a must ... like you can't have progressive rock without keyboards which leaves behind a lot of great bands that deserve to be there, but will never get a good listen, or understanding of the work they did and how much they pushed and really tried ... my favorite example, is The Edgar Broughton Band ... which should have at least one album in the top 100, even if 99 ... but not being there is kinda sad when you see so many pop bands that probably should not be there!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 01:03
Trout Mask Replica.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 02:42
Caravan's debut Vol2, Valentyne , Stand Up are all great choices for a top 100 (mine anyways, I couldn't care  less for the site's, which skewed by fanboy), but I'd like to propose a total unknown: 
The Collectors' debut album What Love Is

Stunning stuff, especially the sidelong suite on the flipside.

Edited by Sean Trane - February 21 2020 at 02:48
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 17:57
Tull...or Moody Blues..either lp.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 09:40
Jethro Tull 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 09:54
We're Only In It For the Money!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234