Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rick Wakeman recording new album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 09:54
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

So can anyone tell me how many of Rick Wakeman's huge amounts of albums are any good?

I've probably only heard about ten and only like about half of them.

Some are just plain awful!

I own many. Which ones have you already heard?

Six Wives
Myths and Legends
Journey To Centre Of Earth
No Earthly Connection
Criminal Record
Cost of Living
Cirque Surreal

That's all i can remember at the moment. Sure i've heard a few more but completely forgotten about them.

If you love Rick's approach to multi-keyboard playing (who doesn't?), then Retro and Retro 2 are essential. Even if the vocal stuff isn't to your taste, the instrumentals will more than make up for it.

Red Planet looks like it's going to be the Retro 3 we waited for but didn't get!

As referenced, Out There (with the great Damian Wilson) on vocalis is a superb concept prog outing, and the subsequent live DVD is a mandatory purchase (Adam joins his dad as second keyboardist).

I also recommend his soundtrack to The Burning.

1984 is another good one, better than the rest of the vocal-oriented albums he did in the '80s.

Themes is completely electronic (some of us like that sort of thing).

A bunch of great releases when it comes to his piano playing, too!

Edited by verslibre - March 25 2020 at 13:07
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 10:56
^ awesome! Thanks :) I've been afraid to dip into his overwhelming massive output.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2020 at 13:07
No prob! Plus, YouTube is the best platform for sampling...anything!
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 06:14

For those who have seen Wakeman's Made in Cuba DVD from 2005 - which is excellent by the way - I note that it is the same line-up (minus vocalist Ashley Holt, as this album will be instrumental) that have now recorded The Red Planet.

That is Rick himself (obviously) on keyboards, Lee Pomeroy (who also performed with Yes featuring Anderson Rabin Wakeman) on bass, Dave Calquhoun on guitars, and Ashley Soan on drums, with Erik Jordan (who played extra keyboards on Made In Cuba) co-producing the new album with Wakeman.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - March 26 2020 at 06:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 06:23

Does anyone still believe that the new album will be released on April 3rd, basically in a week from now? Or will it be delayed like so much else right now?

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2020 at 10:26
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Does anyone still believe that the new album will be released on April 3rd, basically in a week from now? Or will it be delayed like so much else right now?

It will likely be delayed, but you are right about the Made in Cuba dvd. It is excellent
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 14:26

So can anyone tell me how many of Rick Wakeman's huge amounts of albums are any good?

I've probably only heard about ten and only like about half of them.

Some are just plain awful!

I own many. Which ones have you already heard?

Six Wives
Myths and Legends
Journey To Centre Of Earth
No Earthly Connection
Criminal Record
Cost of Living
Cirque Surreal

That's all i can remember at the moment. Sure i've heard a few more but completely forgotten about them.

<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">If you love Rick's approach to multi-keyboard playing (who doesn't?), then Retro and Retro 2 are essential. Even if the vocal stuff isn't to your taste, the instrumentals will more than make up for it.
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Red Planet looks like it's going to be the Retro 3 we waited for but didn't get!<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">As referenced, Out There (with the great Damian Wilson) on vocalis is a superb concept prog outing, and the subsequent live DVD is a mandatory purchase (Adam joins his dad as second keyboardist).<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">I also recommend his soundtrack to The Burning.<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">1984 is another good one, better than the rest of the vocal-oriented albums he did in the '80s.<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Themes is completely electronic (some of us like that sort of thing).<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
<div style="color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 13px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">A bunch of great releases when it comes to his piano playing, too!

Out of the ones you've heard, I the ones I don't know are Cirque Surreal and Cost of Living (actually, I'm not that sure about Cost of Living... I sort of think it came bundled up in the same CD of some other Wakeman album I ordered once, in which case it would be forgettable at best). Of the rest, the only one I don't really like that much is "No Earthly Connection", which has some wonderful ideas, but ends up being a mess while putting them together (I much prefer the shorter version played on the live CD "Out of the Blue", which keeps the very best of it in a more cohesive form). I guess the rest of the albums are just about the best I have heard from him, only missing Out There (with the same line-up as that live "Out of the Blue" live one). Then, there are some very good songs within the albums "Phantom Power", "Can you Hear me", "Return to the Center of the Earth", and the "Retro" albums. A few songs I sort of remember liking which I don't have the complete albums are "Ice" and "The Fighter". O yeah, and Stella Bianca is a nice one too, though more new-agey and less proggy (as well as the Lord of the Rings album, which I believe is just a renamed version of 7 Wonders of the World, and I would even wonder if Wakeman had any part on the re-release of that music with different names).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2020 at 14:55

A small sample from the upcoming album has been made available:

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - March 28 2020 at 14:57
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 15:31
He posted an update on Instagram, albums officially delayed
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 08:05
From the section I heard in the link, I’m sold !! Seems he has his Mini working overtime once again. He has the best Minimoog sound out of all of them (dozens of keyboardists), maybe it’s just his style and pitch-wheel mastery that gets me. Merlin is prime example.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 01:47
^ King Arthur is just chocked full of great synth playing. If its anything like that I will be very happy indeed!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 02:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ King Arthur is just chocked full of great synth playing. If its anything like that I will be very happy indeed!
It sounds promising. Sure do love King Arthur - I’ve had the album for over 30 years and love it more nowadays than ever before. Wonderful album. Journey is great too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12