Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Van der graaf generator live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 12:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I have a ticket for their show in Genova early April. Have seen them once in London in the Royal Festival Hall. Looking a bit around it seems this was in 2005, although it doesn't feel that long ago. Incredible, they as well as me will be 15 years older this time! Even in 2005 they said something like "we have recently only met at former roadies' funerals and we need to do a tour now because later there may not be a chance anymore"... Shocked Pretty vital still though!

hey, we were at the RFH too in 2005! it was May 6th; their first public concert in 27 years

I also believe we once were at the same Peter Hammill gig in Bochum. Smile

not I; I never saw him live in Bochum. but probably Friede; she saw him in Bochum several times. there is one solo concert of him she keeps telling me about. he had already given 5 encores, and the roadies had already completely emptied the stage. but the audience still wanted more, so he finally came back, went to the front of the stage and sang "Again" without instrument or microphone. it must have been a magical moment; I envy her for that experience. it happened before I came to Germany

Yeah, I mixed the two of you up, sorry. And I was at that gig indeed. Indeed it was one of the best I've seen. Must have been around 1991.

I lived in Dortmund when I went to that concert, so it can't have been later than 1989, the year I moved to Cologne. My guess is it was 1988.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 07:04
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I lived in Dortmund when I went to that concert, so it can't have been later than 1989, the year I moved to Cologne. My guess is it was 1988.

I actually moved to Dortmund in 1990 and from there went to Bochum to see that concert, so you're right, it can't be the same concert, although I read a description of yours and thought, that must have been it. Maybe he did it more than once like this, however to be honest I don't remember all the details so maybe I could've known that it wasn't the same.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 11:30

Five times, sadly all of them without Jaxon.

Bydgoszcz and Kraków 2007, Prague 2009 and 2011, Dresden 2013
and last year Hammill solo in Warszawa and Kraków

All of them were amazing, how they did manage to sound so mighty with just three-person lineup. And Hammill captivating us with just piano/guitar. 

All of you going to see VDGG live, prepare to be blown out. 
yet you still have time!
claudio_araya View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claudio_araya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2020 at 12:57
Nunca he visto en vivo VdGG, espero verlos en mi peregrinaje hacia UK, 
seria Birmingham-Bath y London, espero salga todo bien... 

solo he visto a PHammill acį en Chile-SouthAmerica en 1999, y esa noche
termino su show y nos quedamos un puńado esperando lo inesperado, y 
luego de retirar equipos y bajar las luces salio y canto acapella "Vision"...
fue sublime...
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2020 at 01:19
Damn lucky, OP! I'm on a VDGG kick as of late (H to HE through Godbluff; what else do you need? Lol).

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12