Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Religion and politics in music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Should artists sing about religion and politics?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [60.53%]
2 [5.26%]
13 [34.21%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 22:04
^ Art changes nothing Pedro, it only reflects change.Ermm
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 07:38
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Hi,

You have not lived in a place and time when the "arts" were the voices that stood up ... and it meant a lot more than you can imagine, and has a lot more strength than we think. Only in America, will "art" not mean anything and not suggest anything worthy of changing and appreciate.

Europe has many of these stories, and a lot of their arts were the ones that told that story ... not the church or the government! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 06:55
Being Irish, with great uncles who fought the British in 1919, I tend to agree that music changes nothing socially, it only reports after the event. Writing songs is not a priority of the movement in the face of war.
The people are already mobilized and fighting long before the first rebel song is written.
Every rebel or protest song I have heard is about the past not about the present or the future. I've never heard one that is a call to arms for the majority.

That said, I know that a lot of anarchist and class war and militant-feminist and communist and fascist and meat-is-murder etc. punk and metal bands sing about smashing systems and changing the future, but most of the time you can't properly hear the lyrics anyway and you dismiss such bands as a joke anyway.

Edited by LAM-SGC - March 22 2020 at 07:00
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 10:19
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

Every rebel or protest song I have heard is about the past not about the present or the future. I've never heard one that is a call to arms for the majority.

Hi,

There are plenty of stories around Europe, and even in Irish film, where the struggle for a change was being made, but it was not going to make the front page news ... fer' crying out loud, those people would get killed off right away.

Czechoslovakia had a very serious movement that even ended up with a playwright as its leader. Spain and Portugal remained "quiet" because of the Government ... but you can read Luis Bunuel's book talking about many artists that the Spain government did away with, and Garcia Lorca was one of the more famous one ... so saying that it was not "alive" or "visible" is really strange. Pablo Neruda finally left Chile ... sometimes it seems like hours before he was going to be picked up.

The "public" is not always aware of these things, since the government controls the media ... so what do you expect? That it be delivered to your door? However, there would be a lot of parents that would hide these things from their children (like my mom and dad did) so we would never say anything about it, and when the Portuguese Government finally blew up, the whole thing became anarchy central and everyone took the guns in their hands and started shooing anyone indiscriminately and we lost some family members to that.

NOTHING in my life has EVER been invisible ... except one thing ... the inability to tell the truth and find out who the real _________ .... The only other thing that hurts, is people sometimes saying things that are not quite right, and they can not see that others fell victim to it, and didn't have a choice to get out! No one can tell me that the IRA and the Irish fight many years back, was silent .. it never was!

Edited by moshkito - March 22 2020 at 10:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 12:11
word Pedro.. Beer Czechoslovakia is the exception to that rule where art is reactive as opposed to proactive.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 15:08
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

The people are already mobilized and fighting long before the first rebel song is written.

Really? "A Nation Once Again" immediately springs to mind as a famous call to arms, written by Thomas Osborne Davis in the mid-1840s. There are many more, but I would also suggest that songs, particularly Irish Rebel songs that recall previous events, were sung during the 1916 Rebellion as anthems to steel and fortify the men facing the full weight of the British Empire. 

As far as protest songs, I could rattle off a hundred that were written in the moment, actually when strife was beginning or prophetically singing about the future.

Bob Dylan had albums full. Like "Masters of War" (1963, prior to the escalation of war in Vietnam), or "The Times They Are A'Changing" (written in 1964 that presaged the anti-war movement of the later 60s):

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

Or how about "The Eve of Destruction" written by P.F. Sloan in 1964 and made famous by Barry McGuire in 1965:

The eastern world, it is explodin',
Violence flarin', bullets loadin',
You're old enough to kill but not for votin',
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin',
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin',
But you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction. 

Billie Holliday wasn't referring to historic events in 1939 when she sang:

Southern trees bearing strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the roots
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

That was happening then and there in Mississippi and Alabama.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 02:21
How we all wished we came from the Chicago Projects, or the Kingston Ghettos or the mean streets of North London or Glasgow! All those aitch dropping, vowel mangling punk rockers with a public school education! All those Pogues fans from Hertfordshire singing Irish rebel songs?

Nick Hornby summarising that the closest white, middle class suburbanites get to the coalface is being curled up in front of an electric fireplace
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2020 at 10:40
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

As far as protest songs, I could rattle off a hundred that were written in the moment, actually when strife was beginning or prophetically singing about the future.

Hi,

Thanks ... I was even thinking of Woody Guthrie just now ... or even later during VietNam ... Fortunate Son by CCR ... and several other bands ... Jefferson Airplane for example (Crown of Creation, Volunteers) ... too many to count and mention!

We live in a time, DE, that I'm not sure these folks can conceive of the idea that "songs" don't just happen so they can become a HIT ... and of course, because they are never in a list of top this or that pile of heap ... they must all be trash and not important! Kent State DID happen and a lot more!

There was a film, I think one of the last Richard Harris films about the Irish conflict ... and it is gut wrenching and sometimes, hearing comments like some posted here ... is really scary ... and so SAD ... makes me feel that all that stuff in Madison, Chicago, Milwaukee and around the north Midwest was just crap and nothing meant nothing ... and I do not think that is true!

Edited by moshkito - March 27 2020 at 09:51
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 17:27
Much of of my favourite music is of a religious nature, and I like a lot of music with a political bent.

So yes, with some caveats. I think people should be able to sing/ write lyrics on any subject that they like, but if it's hate speech from a religious and/or political perspective or promoting violence from a political and/or religious perspective, then I don;t think it should be readily disseminated, or readily given an audience.   Free Speech within certain limitations.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 17:47

Artists can sing about whatever they want as long as listeners can listen to whatever they want.  Celebrate your freedom.  When you live in a country when you're not allowed to do either, then you can complain about it (actually no you can't because you will probably be arrested or killed).  If that last scenario sounds good to you, then wait a while and Trump will make sure that will happen for you.

Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 13:38
If thats what is important to them then yes.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 13:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Politics yes. Religion no. So no vote.

The two are often so intertwined, sometimes it would be hard to avoid it. There’s very few people who sing about religion (apart from those who use the music to praise their God/s) that aren’t doing so from a political viewpoint.

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 15:27
They are welcome to sing about anything they like...

Stinkfoot - Frank Zappa
Taste of My Love - Emerson Lake and Palmer
Maxwell’s Silver Hammer - Beetles
Timothy - The Bouys
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

Have at it !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 05:59
"Yes" for religion, "don't care" for politics.
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 07:28
Originally posted by SolNiger SolNiger wrote:

"Yes" for religion, "don't care" for politics.

This was literally what I was about to write... So I second your opinion! 
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 07:35

ClapClap

Mind if I quote you on this? Simple but brilliant! 
Cboi Sandlin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cboi Sandlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:17
They can write about whatever they want, whether that be politics or religion. However, i do think it's wrong whenever people are really rude with their songs, like Neil Young's "Lookin For A Leader". Still, he has the right to put whatever he wants to in his songs, that doesnt mean i cant dislike it.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:39
Originally posted by Cboi Sandlin Cboi Sandlin wrote:

They can write about whatever they want, whether that be politics or religion. However, i do think it's wrong whenever people are really rude with their songs, like Neil Young's "Lookin For A Leader". Still, he has the right to put whatever he wants to in his songs, that doesnt mean i cant dislike it.

I don't remember Neil Young's "Looking for a Leader", but I do recall his controversial "Let's Impeach the President" song from the same album: Living with War.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:44
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

ClapClap

Mind if I quote you on this? Simple but brilliant! 
The lemmings man quoted the age old adage, but the Beatles sure changed society with thier art.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2021 at 13:54
When it comes to religion, two tracks come to mind:

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Tarkus - The Only Way (Hymn)
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Angel Station - Resurrection

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123