Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making Prog By Destroying Own Smartphone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making Prog By Destroying Own Smartphone
    Posted: March 07 2020 at 17:25
Take a smartphone, no matter how cheap one
Record voices, use synth apps
Edit a bit in Audacity
Upload on YT

Add a few slices of anything.
Drink, eat, go insane.

My truly versatile utterly experimental response to The White Album:

111 tracks total.
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2020 at 17:42
Thank god there are three discs, because the first two & a half hours just isn't enough.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 06:34
If the Internet is a fridge and PA is a magnet then you have successfully affixed your childish scribbles thereon. The only thing that's missing however, are loving , forgiving and encouraging parents. Can we buy you those sneakers you like so you can run away from home?
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2020 at 16:02
What I love the PgAs for most is the intelligence, niceness of word selection, beauty of word combinings. 26 letters - oh so much is possible, though. Both responses pleased my brain - what an intelligent deep language! Bravo!

I can easily clarify on what I did there and why. I had patiently listened to tons of ambient, dark ambient, black ambient, noise, experimental of all sorts electronic everything music. What struck me most was the unbearable professionally played, studiously polished banality. Banality by banality by banality rode by triviality. I subscribed to Dungeon Synth Archives on YouTube - it's all so monotonous and predictable, chords are professional, recording is polished. I don't like that. I don't like monotonous stuff, don't like repeating the same chord with no slightest changes. I like muddy playing with 'rong keys pressed, wrong keys touched unintentionally/intentionally, playing through diagonals, verticals, transpositions, bouncing, scaling, you name the English -ing ending noun. I also like the older times with their transistors, CRTs, dull synth sounds. I like compact cassettes of poor to very poor quality. I don't like polished things, they sound unnatural to me.

Add to that the fact that I do not play any musical instrument, and know rather little music theory. You may take it as a serious failure or a parody. In any case, this was my musical reply to all that uninnovative stuff that I'd listened to on YT for years before. To an extent, it was even a reply to some KC's works - as, imho, the tune called The Talking Drum should be mega-various, and it wasn't, unfortunately.

I do not pretend to ask you to pay anything for these discs, they're on YT only, as of now Sick. It's just my playing the fool. However, to my ears, it was not so bad... And... it was a very weird experience, after all.

Was it a saga, an ode to lost childhood, missed childhood, gone forever childhood? In a way, yes, of course. But it's also a remark on the chaos of the life as such. I'm 37 and I suppose I've seen all the possible quirks and oddities of life already.

Peace! Embarrassed
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 02:29
"I can easily clarify on what I did there and why. "

Perhaps you shouldn't. ;-)

"
Add to that the fact that I do not play any musical instrument, and know rather little music theory."

No, really ? ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - April 08 2020 at 02:30

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 15:56
It's all kind of creepy and not that one-sided, you know - all that love romance of me and the music... 

On the one hand, yeah, I'm just a dull adult that can't play and just play the fool and sometimes the play becomes too goofy to be taken without a sardonic smile.  

On the other one, I can still write purely harmonious melodic stuff like this one below: 

And make it to pieces like this one: 

Ultimately, I think I'm simply bored of listening to the same melodies in every second tune. There are not so many nice combinations of notes, you know. 

You may ask why the hell have I posted it here? Well, simply because I felt I could and because I still have a feeling that it was more than just a set of unrelated sounds. 

On the third hand, yes, I too hate Malevich. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2020 at 16:16
On the fourth hand, although a Christian believer myself, I still sort of trolled The Beatles for the 2-LP size of their White Album and simultaneously the believers who continuously pretended that the album was titled The Devil's White Album. Hence the DA name... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 10:15
Make car phone noises, come on the musicians section of a prog rock forum, jerk everyone's chain. 

Well, pretty poor attempt at trolling, really. ;-)

I do hope it actually is trolling, now I've wrote it.... ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2020 at 11:21
Not really a trolling. Trolling in the name and the concept, not in the contents awhole. Sometimes, it is. In some bits and pieces. 

Now, I'm not Beethoven. Which is obvious. 

I think the main reason for me was to fight against banality, polished and pretentious banality played by the book chapter N, page M. There are lots of musicians who play banal marmalade all along, I may not know how to play properly, but at least I do not know how to play the marmaladerie. If I see that what happens is either a thousandth repetition of Genesis' Duke or millionth rendition of a rock ballad from the early 70s or a pure cacophony, then I delete it and play again until something like the aforementioned Sad Finale miraculously appears in my hands. Though I more or less worked around the main motif in Sad Finale (made for flute in MuseScore), with triplets and all that type of things, several circus march notes as well as two-three heroic notes in the end appeared completely unexpectedly... I mean, I put the notes randomly in the ending section, and when I listened to it, I heard circus and pathos. And I was shocked, to say the least... It seems, at times I am able to channel something. It seems, at times I become a psychist. Rest of the time it may sound like rubbish, I agree. May or may not, I hope. 

I'm sorry if it all has somehow hurted you. Cry 

I'm a huge fan of Jean Ray, and that writer liked ambiguity. So do I. You may easily perceive my music as a parody, or as an occult revelation of something higher/lower, or as pure pieces of sh*t. It's free for any interpretations. Sometimes I, the man that can only play the people's nerves and possibly the triangle, produce unbelievably unexpected pieces of music. How in the world does that happen? I remember when I played the accordion app on a smartphone for DA album, at some point I have realized I had played something extremely close to a five-six note excerpt from the Soviet WWII song. How in the world, when I simply pressed the accordion buttons on the screen according to my esthetical and mathematical feelings? I do not know those notes of that song, I have no sensitive to music ears. I just felt it would work. And it sometimes does. 

And although you may call me a megalomaniac (or other type of maniac), but I love making music even though making music doesn't really love me. 

Ouch

On the fifth hand, yes, I had started it all just for laugh and smile and irony. If the noise music and harsh noise music sells and is praised - why not me? It is equally a parody, too. 

Is it prog then?.. I believe, 90% of neo prog is not prog. Does it anyhow bother neo prog? 

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 20 2020 at 16:57
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:21
I'm actually enjoying this thread now. ;-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 10:23
Can I make a positive suggestion ? 

A lot of electronics companies out there make electronic drone or shruthi boxes. Why not experiment with noise ? Not exactly "music" as such, but sonic pallettes. 

Or. You have Audacity. Process some samples off The Free Sound Project, drop them into a free DAW, such as Reaper, add VST effects such as echo and flange.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2020 at 05:43
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I'm actually enjoying this thread now. ;-)

This is what it all was supposed to be. Or was it?

Look, I can easily understand there can and should be some people with real musical knowledge who just can't bear such music as mine. I believe you. 

For example, I am a native Russian and Ukrainian speaker (everyone in Ukraine know both Ukrainian and Russian, and actually the overwhelming majority of the country (including all but one big cities) including Kiev the capital speak Russian). I know these languages on a level practically close to prefection. I wrote like fifty short poems, most in Ukrainian, some in Russian. I even wrote my long enough yet compact epitaph in verses in Ukrainian. I published crosswords in the local newspapers since I was 12 y.o. Published three books of my crosswords back when I studied at school. I mean, I have never learnt the rules of grammar, I simply KNOW how this or that has to be written and pronounced. I feel the sense, I feel the language as I read and wrote so many texts in these languages. Russian and  Ukrainian, in my case. I have no doubt that native or simply expert English speakers also easily see my numerous mistakes and irregularities in English texts posted over here. Thus, I usually have large, huge, enormous, unimaginable problems with articles (a/an, the) because there are no articles at all in Russian or Ukrainian. I simply have no sense, have no feeling of where to put what. And it's obvious to every native English speaker/writer, I think. 

Naturally, when I read or hear someone doing terrible mistakes in writing or speaking in my languages, I feel like wanting to be going to kick him/her in the teeth, sometimes. Or cut their tongue out. Or hands, also out. Mostly, the people writing in the internet sources are not that competent in anything they write about. Grammatically, 9 out of 10 of them are imbeciles. I remember arguing with one man at the YouTube over religion issues. He replied to me that my words are saphism. sAphism. I asked him if this term had something to do with the poetess Soppho. sOppho. Big smile He would say afterwards he was driving a car at the moment and it was T9 to blame. Oh yeah, oooowh yeh! T9 made him look and sound stupid... No doubt about it! 

I understand you very well, sir, thus! 

Still, my way of thinking and acting was very clear. I was a very wise man, I looked at how artist(e)s of different kinds sell their feces (even literally). I remember that it had been one evening in December 2016 when I tried to breathe near the microphone of my mobile phone trying to make an impression of bad weather, impression of windy snowy landscape at night. Later on, it would evolve into the first track The Morbid Orbit (made in the windless warmth of my apartment), and this is how the legendary career had begun. LOL 

For the first album I massively used free samples taken from Gentle Giant's Scraping The Barrel. Listen to this one, for good example... 

For the third one I bought a cheap physical synth and played totally hm-hm free improvisations on it. Later on I'd sell the synth and try to use DAW-s and Android apps fo the purpose. 

You see, I didn't have a clear idea, I didn't have a concrete goal. I just wanted to express my disappointment concerning this world and its people, and me as well. And to express what I would be able to express through the music. 

I am not a saint. I am not perfect. If there's something I am almost perfect at, it's writing texts and perhaps occasionally giving speeches in my native languages. I admit and proclaim that I am not a skilful music player, I used to read of some music theory, but I don't care about that | that much. In particular, I have patiently listened to tons of classical music pieces. Mostly, it's all boring to my ears. Too one-sided, too monotonous, too self-plagiarizing and plagiarizing to my mind. 

I stand for real versatility - like what Queen the band did: they have never made a rap or a hip hop song or a black metal song indeed, but the rest of the genres and subgenres were taken into consideration by them. The name of my fourth album Dark Soup intentionally definitely hints at Marx Brothers' Duck Soup and thus definitely hints at two consecutive Queen's hit albums of the 70s... 

I have experienced enormous lots of strange accidents, occasions, circumstances in my life. There's something mystic haunting around me and my life. No wonder, I love the Belgian weird, dark, noir, horror writer Jean Ray who also liked and so incorporated some elements of pranking and trolling into his literary works. He definitely liked to destroy readers' anticipations, expectations at some points in some of his novels and short stories. He was ambiguous and unexpected. He befriended the Catholic monks, by the way. And he prayed for the health of his dying dog. And he was a gourmand, at least - which is widely exposed in his art. 

I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian, I prefer cats, I don't like dogs that much. But I feel the invisible ties to Jean Ray, I have even created partly-joking/partly-utterly-serious dedication to him in these spoken tune below,  called I Don't Know. [His real last name was de Kremer, Lulu is the diminutive of his daughter's name]. Certainly, parodying Ozzy Osbourne's "Mr. Crowley", but still: 

I understand your view. I also see that I already have a few fans in various places of the internet and the world. So, all in all, I did not force anyone to like it or not like it. But I felt that progarchives is just the proper site for such topics and such music, AS WELL as other weird topics and music-s. 

I am sorry for all the possible damage I have made by acting so. Never had an intent to offend anyone. 

Peace!!!!!!! Shocked

Edited by Woon Deadn - May 24 2020 at 06:19
 Post Reply Post Reply