Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cancelled Tours

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 05:16
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's not that simple for bands - for instance someone suggested to Pendragon that they do a streamed concert but they all live hours away from each other and they're not allowed to get together under lockdown rules.

It would be ok for a solo artist.

Hi,

Watch Rachel Flowers doing HAMBURGER CONCERTO with European folks over the internet ... sounded great to me ... and everyone was quite far from everyone else!

Was that done live or edited together afterwards?

Hi,

I got the whiff ... you're not gonna listen to find out! Shame ... what can be done with music, completely ignored even by fans!
You should check your facts before you go into one of your usual rants about other peoples' attitudes. I watched it all, maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything that answers my question - was this recorded live with everyone playing simultaneously?
If I may chime in here...Given the distances of the musicians it's all but impossible to play live 'in sync'. you could play live but the latency between sources would be such that it would no doubt sound horrible. Plus you have to deal with the variety of streaming speeds across the net. Any video of Rachel I've seen with her playing with various musicians is done to a click track and passed around to create a final project.
Just sayin'.
Thank you for the response, at least someone can answer a question without being condescending!
That's exactly what I thought, but I was wondering if it would be possible for my band to rehearse this way.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 12:10
I correspond with Bob Fripp via email on occasion, and I asked him about a streaming, on-demand format to replace the now cancelled 50th Anniversary Tour of King Crimson.  He wrote this on 20 April 2020: 

dear charles - and wayne!

yep! we're into the Post Normal.

i'm not sure that KC Live would translate into streaming.
i have seen some live-streaming and i'm not yet convinced.

we considered live-streaming Soundscapes c. 1998;
but the technology didn't support it.
and there's not a lot of high-adventure to be missed from live performance!

david singleton and myself are discussing virtual Royal Packages;
and we're giving thought to...

in addition to zia sadar's complexity, chaos, contradictions perhaps we can add another C...

(re-)Calibration?

many thanks for your interest, and please keep youse both safe!

vb, robert
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:14
Today I found out Steve Hillage's tour - including a trip to Newcastle - has been cancelled and not rescheduled. Several of my booked gigs have been switched to 2021. Worried that even Steve Hackett's gig in November won't go ahead now. Loving the on-line gigs such as Prog at Home and Fusion, but really missing the real thing (with bands big and small). Very worried some great venues are not going to survive.....
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:19

It's not that simple for bands - for instance someone suggested to Pendragon that they do a streamed concert but they all live hours away from each other and they're not allowed to get together under lockdown rules.

Hi,

Watch Rachel Flowers doing HAMBURGER CONCERTO with European folks over the internet ... sounded great to me ... and everyone was quite far from everyone else!

Hi,

I got the whiff ... you're not gonna listen to find out! Shame ... what can be done with music, completely ignored even by fans!
You should check your facts before you go into one of your usual rants about other peoples' attitudes. I watched it all, maybe I missed something but I didn't see anything that answers my question - was this recorded live with everyone playing simultaneously?
If I may chime in here...Given the distances of the musicians it's all but impossible to play live 'in sync'. you could play live but the latency between sources would be such that it would no doubt sound horrible. Plus you have to deal with the variety of streaming speeds across the net. Any video of Rachel I've seen with her playing with various musicians is done to a click track and passed around to create a final project.
Just sayin'.
Thank you for the response, at least someone can answer a question without being condescending!
That's exactly what I thought, but I was wondering if it would be possible for my band to rehearse this way.

Hi,

Musicians use click tracks on rehearsals and in concert ... what's the big deal?

Granted there are variations in internet speed and latency in many places, but as time goes by this is less than a problem, than it was ... say ... 10 years ago ... and I think that it is time that this gets a chance again.

You and I want to see the folks LIVE, no question about that EVER ... but it is not possible now, and one of these days we will finally say that was is impossible, is now possible if we want it to be ... heck it took a few years, but they got a man on the moon ... 

I would rather try it now, and have it not be "perfect" ... than just sit there ... and do nothing ... and hope that the fans did not forget your band in the meantime ... that thought alone is the one that scares me the most. It will kill a lot of music and a lot of arts. And we sit here and say ... "it can't be done" ... it can and it will!

Having worked in a cable company for 12+ years, there is only one thing that bothers me a bit ... you can't do this on a home account ... it has to be done on a business account where you can define how much bandwidth you want. In general, the business accounts have twice to three times more bandwidth, and it is not as "metered" as the home accounts often are, up to and including the streaming wars a few years ago, with one company ...etc ... etc ... in other words ... the future is here and now! Not tomorrow!

I agree with RF's take, and I think that he can see issues with the latency on the music that will prevent the perfections that he likes ... ohhh what the heck ... give it to Eno ... he'll make it work regardless!

Edited by moshkito - June 12 2020 at 13:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 14:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I correspond with Bob Fripp via email on occasion, and I asked him about a streaming, on-demand format to replace the now cancelled 50th Anniversary Tour of King Crimson.  He wrote this on 20 April 2020: 

in addition to zia sadar's complexity, chaos, contradictions perhaps we can add another C...

(re-)Calibration?

vb, robert

Nice email, Charles! I agree with His Frippness, in that I can’t see them doing the streaming thing effectively. KC live is an experience, to be experienced in the flesh.

In related news, I had delivered today Sid Smith’s In The Court of King Crimson in hardback, so really looking forward to this read.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 00:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

(re-)Calibration?

vb, robert

Nice email, Charles! I agree with His Frippness, in that I can’t see them doing the streaming thing effectively. KC live is an experience, to be experienced in the flesh.

In related news, I had delivered today Sid Smith’s In The Court of King Crimson in hardback, so really looking forward to this read.

Thank you, Steve!  I agree, a King Crimson concert in any era is an event!  (I was blessed to see the LTIA tour in America, sans Muir, and numerous other tours more recently). 

However....Bob and company are not getting any younger, so it is a question of "what next?"  Fripp is a true technology innovator, he might be able to come up with some magical solution.  Perhaps using Virtual Reality? 

In fact, I might suggest that to him!   
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 01:21

Thank you, Steve!  I agree, a King Crimson concert in any era is an event!  (I was blessed to see the LTIA tour in America, sans Muir, and numerous other tours more recently). 

However....Bob and company are not getting any younger, so it is a question of "what next?"  Fripp is a true technology innovator, he might be able to come up with some magical solution.  Perhaps using Virtual Reality? 

Hi,

A few years back I took my close friend and prior to that room mate, that knew of KC but had never really heard it ... and when the show was over ... the first thing he said was ... "this gives new meaning to what music really is" ... and he was impressed with the quality of the delivery and the effort given by all musicians and 3 drummers!

I agree that there is something to be said about things being live ... however, in an age when that is not possible the alternative has to take place ... and I think that sooner or later we are going to see a band do this and not have "issues" with it ... or something similar ... all it takes is someone to be centered deeply enough to say ... f**k it! ... I'm doing this! ... and the rest is history, even if it is not perfect. When you were 17 you went on the stage with your little band, and you didn't worry about it not being totally right ... you were just excited to have done it, and wanted to do it again ... one small step for the child learning how to get on the bicycle!

Where do you want to be in history ... the nay sayers?

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 01:54

Hi,

A few years back I took my close friend and prior to that room mate, that knew of KC but had never really heard it ... and when the show was over ... the first thing he said was ... "this gives new meaning to what music really is" ... and he was impressed with the quality of the delivery and the effort given by all musicians and 3 drummers!

I agree that there is something to be said about things being live ... however, in an age when that is not possible the alternative has to take place ... and I think that sooner or later we are going to see a band do this and not have "issues" with it ... or something similar ... all it takes is someone to be centered deeply enough to say ... f**k it! ... I'm doing this! ... and the rest is history, even if it is not perfect. When you were 17 you went on the stage with your little band, and you didn't worry about it not being totally right ... you were just excited to have done it, and wanted to do it again ... one small step for the child learning how to get on the bicycle!

Thank you, M!  I wrote an email to Mr. Fripp tonight and mentioned this conversation on PA.  I've also researched virtual reality (VR), and this may have some promise.....I sent this link to Mr Fripp:

Bob has always been amazingly innovative with technology!  I saw him backstage after the first Chicago concert for "Discipline" and told him that I thought the Roland guitar synths were "very powerful instruments," and he nodded his head in agreement, saying "It is basically a Japanese Les Paul copy!"  

Since then, he has founded Digital Global Mobile records, developed "new standard tuning" for guitar, and completely blew up the rock band format by adding drummers!  If anyone will embrace the Brave New World of post-normal rock concerts, it shall be Mr Fripp.  I'm certain of this.  Cheers!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 02:00

Hi,

Thank you, M!  I wrote an email to Mr. Fripp tonight and mentioned this conversation on PA.  I've also researched virtual reality (VR), and this may have some promise.....I sent this link to Mr Fripp:

Bob has always been amazingly innovative with technology!  I saw him backstage after the first Chicago concert for "Discipline" and told him that I thought the Roland guitar synths were "very powerful instruments," and he nodded his head in agreement, saying "It is basically a Japanese Les Paul copy!"  

Since then, he has founded Digital Global Mobile records, developed "new standard tuning" for guitar, and completely blew up the rock band format by adding drummers!  If anyone will embrace the Brave New World of post-normal rock concerts, it shall be Mr Fripp.  I'm certain of this.  Cheers!

Now that is outstanding info.....I'm into this if his Frippness can develop something new.
Thanks for sharing! Clap
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 02:17

Hi,

Hi,

Just sayin'.
Rachel does not like using a click track.  She tries to avoid it when she can.  The musicians will decide the main instrument in different sections and lay that part down first and all the other musicians will match that.  Most of the time it will be the percussion.  If it is her on the keyboard she will lay down her part and when there is silence she will live perform a click track.
rminsk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rminsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2020 at 02:27

It can be done, and needs to be devised soon, before the corporate companies find it and take it away
Physics would like to have a word with you.  The latency a musician can tolerate about 20 ms to be able to jam together.  At the speed of light, 5 ms is about 1,500 kilometers.  That would not include all the hops an internet packet would take with routers buffering packets and converting the signal to/from optical fiber.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by rminsk rminsk wrote:

Physics would like to have a word with you.  The latency a musician can tolerate about 20 ms to be able to jam together.  At the speed of light, 5 ms is about 1,500 kilometers.  That would not include all the hops an internet packet would take with routers buffering packets and converting the signal to/from optical fiber.
Hi,

Gotta love some idealism ... it's always impossible ... but no one is thinking ... hmmmm ... now what ... ??? .... do I really want to do something or just sit there ... I am betting dollars in Las Vegas that ENO would have a rave up with that latency and packet stuff ... and I know for a fact that folks like Cisco are not sitting on their bumms happy with the latency ... however, we might or not agree/disagree, the main problem is the equipment that some folks use, and some ISP's have old/cheap equipment ... but generally, I would not exactly expect to hear KC to be playing 21st Century Paranoid Visionary ... maybe even find new music in the whole process and the 1,500 KM all of a sudden become some sort of feedback, or loop that can be made fun with ... but we're shutting down the options, instead of thinking forward with positive and possible ideas.

It might not be possible across the oceans, but it could be in 5 places in England, or 5 in France or 5 in Germany (probably the best system?) ... a place where you know the latency might be minimized, but I am already aware of how "regressive" the majority of technology folks really are ... it's only about the money ... not the technology!

If there is one thing in my life I do not want to miss ... is the music ... and LIVE ... not Memorex (as the old commercial went ... and ... "do you have any Great Poupon?") ...because of its value, not idealism. However, the GREATNESS of the music was not always in the performance, and it was not because it was not the same or it was different, better or worse, it was because I am a VISUALIST, and as such I do not need to make a "physical/direct" connection to the "music" to verify that it is true ... I know it is true, and the personal touch is not as important as the music itself was ... and it was Mr. Fripp that said ... close your eyes and enjoy the music ... and I did ... so I did not have to feel the flashes going off all around. 

What you, and many folks want, is a piece of something that validates your feelings for that band or some of its songs ... I don't need that ... I already got it from the music, and I trust ITS SOURCE ... and I would expect a lot of the possible streaming thing to be NEW MUSIC ... which would at the start make use of the "problems" of the connection ... but no ... already it is being shut down!

The best remembered artists in the history of the arts are the ones that changed the vision of the world and work ... and I certainly do not wish to sit here and be a part of the past ... I would rather work on the future and its ability to come alive ... now, instead of mentioning the "realities" of some problems, how about trying to see how some music could be done around those elements ... or perhaps music/vision/art/literature is not what your heart is really all about?

Edited by moshkito - June 14 2020 at 08:16
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 12:01

Hi,

Hi,

Just sayin'.

Hi,

Musicians use click tracks on rehearsals and in concert ... what's the big deal?

Granted there are variations in internet speed and latency in many places, but as time goes by this is less than a problem, than it was ... say ... 10 years ago ... and I think that it is time that this gets a chance again.

You and I want to see the folks LIVE, no question about that EVER ... but it is not possible now, and one of these days we will finally say that was is impossible, is now possible if we want it to be ... heck it took a few years, but they got a man on the moon ... 

I would rather try it now, and have it not be "perfect" ... than just sit there ... and do nothing ... and hope that the fans did not forget your band in the meantime ... that thought alone is the one that scares me the most. It will kill a lot of music and a lot of arts. And we sit here and say ... "it can't be done" ... it can and it will!

Having worked in a cable company for 12+ years, there is only one thing that bothers me a bit ... you can't do this on a home account ... it has to be done on a business account where you can define how much bandwidth you want. In general, the business accounts have twice to three times more bandwidth, and it is not as "metered" as the home accounts often are, up to and including the streaming wars a few years ago, with one company ...etc ... etc ... in other words ... the future is here and now! Not tomorrow!

I agree with RF's take, and I think that he can see issues with the latency on the music that will prevent the perfections that he likes ... ohhh what the heck ... give it to Eno ... he'll make it work regardless!
There's no big deal I asked you a question about the making of the video as I was wondering if it would be possible to do this sort of thing live and you chose to give one of your usual condescending replies about me not having watched the video, which was incorrect as I had watched it but didn't find the answer to my question. Fortunately someone else managed to give me a straightforward answer. I still wonder if it would be possible on even a business account with sufficient bandwidth.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 18:42

There's no big deal I asked you a question about the making of the video as I was wondering if it would be possible to do this sort of thing live and you chose to give one of your usual condescending replies about me not having watched the video, which was incorrect as I had watched it but didn't find the answer to my question. Fortunately someone else managed to give me a straightforward answer. I still wonder if it would be possible on even a business account with sufficient bandwidth.
Hi,

Chopper ... your comment, as well intended as it was, had more to do with the lack of ability and the closing down of all options to get something like this done. As such, you had to have the "physical" answer to the issue, and not a suggestion (however fun it could be!!!) as to what might be done with that latency, if it could be "recovered" and not be a "lost packet" which would create music missing bits and pieces ... ohhh boy, I can hear it now ... the melody just took a poop!

Regardless of the "realities" in this, there is always a side of things that folks will create something out of it, and then ditch it for something else much better designed and work'able.

The answer to your "quest", sadly, is not a possible answer ... I should say HOPE ... that many of those cancelled tours could work with ... instead of all of them being completely shut down, which I think is going to hurt a lot of the music that is more experimental, and in the proverbial left field, than the top of the pops ... but then, it feels like saying this in a place where the commercial idea rules and mandates a lot of the thinking that many folks have. is kinda weird ... but unlike your comment ... all this cancelled music is something I would like to help with and solve, and right now a Model T of internet services is way better than a supposed Rolls Royce that is going to be over priced because it is a Rolls Royce!

Please ... stand up for the musicians ... they are not stupid, and many of them will gladly try a lot of things ... that we can't even consider. The "idea" and eventual resolution of a complete STREAMING experience is yet to come, and might not be here during our lives ... but you know that experience is closer to reality than it was before! That latency and a lost packet will be changed into something that helps the whole process, but I think, and trust, that these "connections" will improve significantly ... but it won't happen if we don't give a shib! 

And already dumped it!

Edited by moshkito - June 14 2020 at 18:42
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2020 at 19:27
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

Sorry if this was already mentioned somewhere else, but there was some kind of online concert called Prog From Home last weekend which can be rewatched on Youtube and lasts roughly 3 hours.

Participants list was/is quite impressive with the likes of Steve Hackett, Kansas, Neal Morse, Carl Palmer just to name a few

Why do prog guitarists (like me) always live in homes that look like guitar stores??

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2020 at 01:47

Hi,

Chopper ... your comment, as well intended as it was, had more to do with the lack of ability and the closing down of all options to get something like this done. As such, you had to have the "physical" answer to the issue, and not a suggestion (however fun it could be!!!) as to what might be done with that latency, if it could be "recovered" and not be a "lost packet" which would create music missing bits and pieces ... ohhh boy, I can hear it now ... the melody just took a poop!

Regardless of the "realities" in this, there is always a side of things that folks will create something out of it, and then ditch it for something else much better designed and work'able.

The answer to your "quest", sadly, is not a possible answer ... I should say HOPE ... that many of those cancelled tours could work with ... instead of all of them being completely shut down, which I think is going to hurt a lot of the music that is more experimental, and in the proverbial left field, than the top of the pops ... but then, it feels like saying this in a place where the commercial idea rules and mandates a lot of the thinking that many folks have. is kinda weird ... but unlike your comment ... all this cancelled music is something I would like to help with and solve, and right now a Model T of internet services is way better than a supposed Rolls Royce that is going to be over priced because it is a Rolls Royce!

Please ... stand up for the musicians ... they are not stupid, and many of them will gladly try a lot of things ... that we can't even consider. The "idea" and eventual resolution of a complete STREAMING experience is yet to come, and might not be here during our lives ... but you know that experience is closer to reality than it was before! That latency and a lost packet will be changed into something that helps the whole process, but I think, and trust, that these "connections" will improve significantly ... but it won't happen if we don't give a shib! 

And already dumped it!
As usual I'm not really sure what your point is here or why you've put that last comment in bold. I am a musician, I just asked a simple question about a video as I was interested to know how it was made. Frankly I wish I hadn't bothered now, let's just drop this.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2020 at 07:56

As usual I'm not really sure what your point is here or why you've put that last comment in bold. I am a musician, I just asked a simple question about a video as I was interested to know how it was made. Frankly I wish I hadn't bothered now, let's just drop this.

Hi,

Please, this is not to question your musicianship, but an idealistic point of view of things that can be done ... and I did not disagree with the latency or other possible problems ... I just keep trying for an alternative, so it can be tried, instead of not tried and a lot of bands disappear because they can't get gigs and their music in various websites is lucky to get one hit per week! I'm waiting for the day that a music service dumps the artist for that reason ... and I hope that all artists quit during that week and kill that service!

I'm on the side of the artist ... I want them to shine, but you kind of have to go into this like a kid learning something or other, not be afraid of it.

Your question was valid, and however it was done, the quality of the result was excellent, and there is no telling that any band can not do the same thing, or similar and still come out sounding great ... and again, my bad boy suggestion is that the folks that paid for the show ($5 bux or $10 bux let's say) all get their name on the screen at the start and ending of the show as a thank you for their caring ... and if it is 10K, so it is ... even better ... and that band just found a way to make some money and distribute their albums!

Click track or not, is a tool to help this come together ... and I welcome it, but I would not leave behind someone like ENO, that will likely take that "latency" and develop it into another thread that comes into the music, instead of that portion being lost. Latency, as far as I know (very rudimentary knowledge I admit!), not just lost packages, most of it is backed packages that can be recovered and worked with. But when to send them to the location it is intended is a problem that Cisco will gladly define quickly so nothing is lost and something can be done with it ... in fact this has been already done according to a friend that worked for them, as it seems that military and security systems have that backing that is not used on commercial systems because of cheapness!

Edited by moshkito - June 16 2020 at 07:58
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12