Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1969 vs 1972

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which Year: 1969 or 1972?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.46%]
62 [92.54%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 10:41
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Well, 1969 is very impressive when you take all the popular music into account:
- high-water mark of counterculture (Beatles, Creedence, The Band, TABB, Tommy!)
- birth of prog (KC), starting point for many great bands (though I count Led Zeppelin as part of 1968 class)
- fusion (Miles, Zappa)
- folk, country and co. had a GREAT year (CS&N, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Van Zandt, Buckley, Fairport Convention..)
- soul and funk (Hayes, Sly), blues rock, and more

BUT as far as prog goes, 1972 is much stronger. It's hard to compete with 1972 at all.

Well none of that shyte is not even as good as Timetable from Foxtrot...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 11:04
Other than "In the Court of the Crimson King" are there really many other famous prog albums from that year? There might be a few but compared to 1972 not so much.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 02 2020 at 11:05
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 11:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Other than "In the Court of the Crimson King" are there really many other famous prog albums from that year? There might be a few but compared to 1972 not so much.

Not many. 1972 had Close to the Edge, which in itself is one of the reasons why 1972 is better.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 11:38
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Well, 1969 is very impressive when you take all the popular music into account:
- high-water mark of counterculture (Beatles, Creedence, The Band, TABB, Tommy!)
- birth of prog (KC), starting point for many great bands (though I count Led Zeppelin as part of 1968 class)
- fusion (Miles, Zappa)
- folk, country and co. had a GREAT year (CS&N, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Van Zandt, Buckley, Fairport Convention..)
- soul and funk (Hayes, Sly), blues rock, and more

BUT as far as prog goes, 1972 is much stronger. It's hard to compete with 1972 at all.

Well none of that shyte is not even as good as Timetable from Foxtrot...

Miles and Zappa hardly qualify as shyte, neither Led Zeppelin :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 11:43
None of that qualifies as shyte in my book, but I might well qualify the opinion on shyte as shyte.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 21:43
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 21:57
1969 was Act I

1972 was the cream of the crop middle section.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:34
72 obviously 
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:48
Originally posted by Lieutenant_Lan Lieutenant_Lan wrote:

72 obviously 

Loving your overuse of the word "obviously" LLLOL
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 19:22
Not only had prog established itself in 1972 with many classic albums coming out also the audio production is better, something I care about. Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:13
1972 v 1975 might have been trickier for me. 

1972 had the 'big three' prog hitters of ELP, Yes and Genesis at their peak but of course there was plenty of classic prog from others as well. 

1975 was the last truly great year of prog before it started to break down. Many bands and artists had found perfection in the pursuit of excellence as well evidenced by the Oldfield , Camel, Floyd and Gentle Giant releases of that particular year. You also had Rainbow and Led Zep expanding the horizons of heavy rock although that's going off on a slightly different tangent.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:24
^ I still would've chosen 1972 if it had been 1972 v 1975. Smile

1973 was voted as the best year ever for prog in a recent poll. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 26 2021 at 02:26
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 02:56
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

1972 v 1975 might have been trickier for me. 

1972 had the 'big three' prog hitters of ELP, Yes and Genesis at their peak but of course there was plenty of classic prog from others as well. 

1975 was the last truly great year of prog before it started to break down. Many bands and artists had found perfection in the pursuit of excellence as well evidenced by the Oldfield , Camel, Floyd and Gentle Giant releases of that particular year. You also had Rainbow and Led Zep expanding the horizons of heavy rock although that's going off on a slightly different tangent.

For me, 1974 was the last truly great year of prog before it started to break down, and even then, that was only in terms of UK prog. The European prog scene carried on, as the UK prog scene trailed off.

My favourite Pink Floyd album was released in 1975, and Gentle Giant’s release is alright. But for me the latter band had already peaked, and were providing me with ever-diminishing returns. King Crimson’s first phase(s) had ended. Gabriel had left Genesis (which is not to say I don’t like any of the Collins material, nor that I think Gabriel leaving the band was the worst thing that ever happened to Genesis).

One of my favourite songs from 1975, though, has to be Split Enz’s Stranger Than Fiction.

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 05:31
1972, just like the other 58 people have said; I could use 1969 to showcase some of the albums that were responsible for the genesis of prog rock, but '72 is for the good stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123