Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Ladyland vs The Beatles (The White Album)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Which is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [45.83%]
26 [54.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 19:56
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

...What Hendrix did not want to do any longer is white psychedelia and hits like Purple Haze. Hendrix considered Rock too limiting, and he particularly hated the label “psychedelic rock" attached to his work. He was heading into a realm of Afrocentric blues-funk, and blues-jazz. As Miles Davis wrote in his autobiography, “Jimi Hendrix came from the blues, like me."

So Mosh is clueless.

Hi,

(Removed. post was mis-understood)

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2020 at 07:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 20:01
Two amazing albums and it's hard for me to vote. Listening to Electric Ladyland now and it's such an amazing record.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2020 at 21:50
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

...What Hendrix did not want to do any longer is white psychedelia and hits like Purple Haze. Hendrix considered Rock too limiting, and he particularly hated the label “psychedelic rock" attached to his work. He was heading into a realm of Afrocentric blues-funk, and blues-jazz. As Miles Davis wrote in his autobiography, “Jimi Hendrix came from the blues, like me."

So Mosh is clueless.

Hi,

DE ... your logic is stunning!  Shocked

That's why Jimi ended up influencing so many players all over the world that were not doing blues ... or blues related jazz.

AND, btw, I seriously doubt that Jimi spoke in terms of "white psychedelia" ... since Jimi basically showed that it did not have to be done just by white folks ... but we don't understand why the National Anthem is so valuable and important, and on top of it ... done in front of garbage ... same as the comments above. That, by itself, influenced many, including Terje Rypdal, John Weinzierl, Michael Karoli, Manuel Gottsching into doing things that were not exactly "song oriented" and had a freedom in the playing ... that takes music much further than just a song.
Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Frank Marino, Eric Johnson, Gary Moore, Jonny Lang, and Kenny Wayne Shepard would disagree with you about Jimi's influence on blues guitarists. But I think you are ready for a pair of Depends and man-baby daycare. You have no idea what you are talking about, and are now repeating the same thing gibberish. And it is wrong, unfounded and not factual.

That Hendrix was dropping rock music and heading for Afrocentric funk, jazz and blues music has been known since he released Band of Gypsys. He was stung by black people thinking he sold out, and he was leaving psychedelic white rock music altogether. He started hanging out with Miles Davis (The two had discussed making a recording together). Hendrix had scheduled to play with Gil Evans' Orchestra but died before the session took place. As a matter of fact, in Hendrix's honor Gil Evans and his Orchestra released a record exploring 10 of Hendrix's compositions a few years later -- all jazz, blues and funk. Or maybe better stated as blues-funk fusion.

Hendrix himself stated bluntly he was tired of being a "psychedelic superspade" -- his words. “I don’t want to be a clown anymore. I don’t want to be a ‘rock and roll star,'” Jimi said. Direct quote from a Rolling Stone article in late 1969.

And what's hilarious is you remarked about all the blues music Hendrix's family is releasing -- THAT'S BECAUSE AFTER ELECTRIC LADYLAND, THAT IS WHAT HE WAS RECORDING. Hendrix was first and foremost a blues guitarist. He was considered one of the best guitarists on the early 60s Chitlin' Circuit. R&B and blues. He played in bands with Wilson Pickett, Jackie Wilson, the Isley Brothers and Little Richard. Hendrix was steeped in R&B and the Blues, and funk was the natural progression by 1969-70:

“The first guitarist I was aware of was Muddy Waters," Hendrix recalled. "I heard one of his old records when I was a little boy and it scared me to death, because I heard all of those sounds. Wow, what is that all about? It was great. And I like Albert King. He plays completely and strictly in one way, just straight funk blues. New blues guitar, very young, funky sound which is great. One of the funkiest I’ve heard. He plays it strictly that way so that’s his scene.”

Edited by The Dark Elf - June 10 2020 at 21:52
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 01:42
I think this is one of greatest blues pieces and really big favorite from Hendrix to me, I really wish he would have done this more:
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 03:21
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think this is one of greatest blues pieces and really big favorite from Hendrix to me, I really wish he would have done this more:
They used that song as the opener for his Blues album, if by any chance you're not familiar with it this is an essential Hendrix.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 03:45
Mosh,

You're (once more) in over your head. Shocked

Despite the HELP legend (that Hendrix, Emerson, etc...), Jimi and Miles also really wanted to get down to things as well

From posthumous Rainbow Bridges OST (I can't remember whether it's actually part of ther movie itself, because Jimi is only to be seen for one scene), but he was playing it regularly throughout his career.

When a teen, there were only 2.5 really legit (as in untamprered with) releases post Jimi's death, Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridhes, and the 0.5 was War Heroes and its clear that Jimi's future works were going to be "blacker" than what he'd done with the JHE.
BoG can also attest to it.

Crap like Loose Ends , Crash Landing, Midnight Lightning were totally re-worked

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 06:52
Hi,

(Post removed. Discussion was mis-interpreted.)

Edited by moshkito - June 11 2020 at 07:53
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 06:57
I would have loved to hear Miles Davis and Jimi Hendrix do "Miles and Jimi Run the Voodoo Chile Down" for the Electric Ladies Brew album.

Anyway, I vote for Electric Ladyland.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 11:43
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

They used that song as the opener for his Blues album, if by any chance you're not familiar with it this is an essential Hendrix.

I know that album, although haven´t heard it whole through. What I meaned is that acoustic Hear My Train is one of the very few acoustic Hendrix-pieces.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2020 at 16:15

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I know that album, although haven´t heard it whole through. What I meaned is that acoustic Hear My Train is one of the very few acoustic Hendrix-pieces.

When Hendrix does a cover, he fundamentally changes the entire feeling of the song (see what he did to Dylan's All Along the Watchtower). For Muddy Water's Mannish Boy, he turns it into some crazy funk stomp....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 08:09
Ladyland, just For the 1983 side alone. Fantastic themes there. Voodoo Chile jam is a terrific jam with all involved. The rest are dynamite songs including the definitive WATCHTOWER (still definitive Bob...). And at the opposite end of the spectrum Come On which is tight, compact and powerful.

One of rock's defining albums. Not a note out of place.

White Album is ok, first record was not bad but gets a bit loose as it drags on. Some nice songs, some nice rock songs (Helter Skelter) and the occasional awesome (Guitar Weeps) classic. But George Martin was right. Single LP time. Might have made the Anthologies though. I mean, Rocky Raccoon versus House Burning Down?

I admit to being a bit biased as most things Jimi did were either brilliant or fantastic. One or the other. And did he manage to get guitar tone... The Voodoo jam sets that one up.

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 09:33
Jimi Hendrix
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 16:15
The White Album is peppered with those cradle-to-grave tracks that really resonate.

Ladyland barely makes the Top 10 in a list of favorite Hendrix releases.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 19:38
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Ladyland barely makes the Top 10 in a list of favorite Hendrix releases.  

Shocked
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ClosetothSupperBrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 22:10

But I think you are ready for a pair of Depends and man-baby daycare. You have no idea what you are talking about, and are now repeating the same thing gibberish. And it is wrong, unfounded and not factual.

Jesus christ when will you learn to shut the f up and stop being so negative and insulting to people. You may think you're right, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you are SO GODDAMN RUDE about it. In my opinion, you're more of the immature baby that you so vindictively tried to namecall moshkito. I think you were sounding really smart, right up until the insult, but with that your impulsivity for putting people you disagree with down became evident and you lost a lot of credibility... and I think everyone will agree with me.

Edited by ClosetothSupperBrick - October 03 2020 at 22:11
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 00:14
As has been said, The Beatles is the work of a disintegrating band. Starr left the band during the recording (hence McCartney plays drums on Back In The USSR and others) and a lot of the tracks are pretty much solo efforts. Lennon didn't play on most of the Harrison tracks.
There are songs that are half-finished, perhaps it could have been trimmed down to a single album as Martin wanted but I still think it's the greatest double album there is (and I do think Electric Ladyland is brilliant as well). Only Physical Graffiti and English Settlement come near it.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 00:42
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

But I think you are ready for a pair of Depends and man-baby daycare. You have no idea what you are talking about, and are now repeating the same thing gibberish. And it is wrong, unfounded and not factual.

Jesus christ when will you learn to shut the f up and stop being so negative and insulting to people. You may think you're right, and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you are SO GODDAMN RUDE about it. In my opinion, you're more of the immature baby that you so vindictively tried to namecall moshkito. I think you were sounding really smart, right up until the insult, but with that your impulsivity for putting people you disagree with down became evident and you lost a lot of credibility... and I think everyone will agree with me.

You're a bit late to the discussion. You have to bear in mind this is mosh we're talking about here, and he's deleted most of his comments so it's not really clear what's being discussed.

And you've done exactly what you're criticising TDE for - being insulting to people.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 06:26
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

You're a bit late to the discussion. You have to bear in mind this is mosh we're talking about here, and he's deleted most of his comments so it's not really clear what's being discussed.

And you've done exactly what you're criticising TDE for - being insulting to people.
Yes, I don't like TDE either ClosetothSupperBrick, but I must admit, he's right in this scenario.

Edited by FatherChristmas - October 05 2020 at 10:30
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2021 at 09:22
Always gotta go with the beatles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123