Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew suggestions to PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New suggestions to PA
    Posted: June 12 2020 at 11:06
bands that I suggested and NO ONE bothered even to listen or respond to them in the last year! Why?Unhappy
Maybe few are already suggested by someone else (leave me a note) but I stopped suggesting many other bands since Dec 2019 cause this is becoming a jokeThumbs Down many others I suggested just didn't "make the cut" how on earth is it possible that those bands in their own words are prog and are always playing in prog festivals but not good enough for PA that's ludicrous!Angry please don't give me the lame excuse that we didn't have the time to get to all of them when many bands that were suggested in 2020 already got attention and added to PA

Surreal Planet to Neo or ??
Posted: August 22 2019 at 19:31
Hovercraft to Cross
Posted: August 26 2019 at 06:13
The Last Dodo to Post Rock or
Posted: August 30 2019 at 06:35
One Now Ago to Cross or ?
Posted: August 30 2019 at 06:39
Approaching The Silence TO Psych
Posted: August 30 2019 at 16:35
Dimma to Psych or
Posted: September 14 2019 at 15:39
Evan Carson to Cross or
Posted: September 14 2019 at 16:32
High Chair to Psych
Posted: September 15 2019 at 05:11
Dreaming Madmen to Cross or
Posted: September 15 2019 at 05:17
Mocker's to Psych or Post
Posted: September 15 2019 at 05:21
Dead Venus to Cross or
Posted: September 16 2019 at 05:48
Tanagra to Prog Metal
Posted: September 16 2019 at 05:51
Flying Machine to prog metal
Posted: October 05 2019 at 13:56
John Ghost To Jazz or
Posted: November 03 2019 at 13:03
Fozzielogic to Cross or
Posted: November 03 2019 at 13:08
Fordham Road to Cross or
Posted: November 03 2019 at 13:09
Cobalt Chapel to Psych or Folk
Posted: November 05 2019 at 10:08
Conscious Pilot to Psych
Posted: November 08 2019 at 06:28
Summer Breeze Project (SBP) to Eclectic or Heavy
Posted: December 14 2019 at 07:15

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 11:39
sorry to hear this.  Speaking as a member of an understaffed team who is also unpaid (like all the teams), getting us to listen to something is a lot like applying for a job.  If you are lucky you apply at the exact moment when the employer's attention span can handle it.   So items are not necessarily listened to in the order in which they are received.  Catch as catch can.  If we were being paid or no other leisure time pursuits it might operate in a more fluid manner

I have just gone and randomly looked at a few of your requests.  There may or may not be guidelines for how to make a suggestion for inclusion but, if there are or were, they would advise that the presenter do a bit more of the legwork.  All I saw was links to bandcamp pages.  The more information you offer to make a case for the artist and to direct us to particular albums or songs of interest, the more likely you will hit on team members who will meet you halfway.  

Edited by kenethlevine - June 12 2020 at 11:50
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 12:44
I've stopped suggesting new artist additions too, because all but one of my artist suggestions (Glencoe) were rejected, and the unhelpful response was to "Make better suggestions" Confused
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 12:50
I have had two suggestions added.  I did the slightly more involved process that was outlined here:  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122381
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
mbzr48 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Discography Auditor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:12
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

sorry to hear this.  Speaking as a member of an understaffed team who is also unpaid (like all the teams), getting us to listen to something is a lot like applying for a job.  If you are lucky you apply at the exact moment when the employer's attention span can handle it.   So items are not necessarily listened to in the order in which they are received.  Catch as catch can.  If we were being paid or no other leisure time pursuits it might operate in a more fluid manner

I have just gone and randomly looked at a few of your requests.  There may or may not be guidelines for how to make a suggestion for inclusion but, if there are or were, they would advise that the presenter do a bit more of the legwork.  All I saw was links to bandcamp pages.  The more information you offer to make a case for the artist and to direct us to particular albums or songs of interest, the more likely you will hit on team members who will meet you halfway.  

I had the feeling that I'll get this explanation, I also brought up other issues and those were not addressed by you at all, what about the bands that are 100% prog and were rejected? don't forget that I'm NOT the one that is punished by a band not being added into PA, all the members here that will never know or hear about those bands, some great and some not will, I already know about them and in most cases listened to their music, good or bad! if you pay attention I also write when suggesting a band (Neo or? Cross or? Metal or?) the reason for that is simple too, a band on their bio writes that they are Neo but PA team thinks they are Cross or something else, and so on... I give up! not on the music but trying to have changes made here! I listen to music and rate the album and that is fine by me, with almost 5000 rating I'm doing OK
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 13:28
Prog is not a hard science. Barring the classics, many people will disagree on whether any modern band is truly prog, and as such deserving to be added. My idea of what should be added to this site is different from other people's, and I (like everyone else) have had suggestions shot down. 

As to the merit of your post, I believe you were kindly asked time and again to provide something more than a Bandcamp link. If you ignored this request, then don't complain about your suggestions being ignored in turn. Even if you chose not to believe it, genre teams are shorthanded - and badly so. Dealing with the volume of suggestions we get every day would require many more people, and these are just not going to turn up. The additions process can be extremely time-consuming, and it's something people do completely for free. It's very easy to get burned out.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 14:27
I went through your list of submission and this is what I found:

Summer Breeze Project – In the archives under Neo Prog

Conscious Pilot – rejected by Heavy Prog

Cobalt Chapel – Submitted with only the bandcamp link, no info included in your post

Fordham Road – rejected by Crossover

Fozzielogic – no information in your original post except for one link

John Ghost – rejected by Jazz Rock Fusion

Flying Machine – submission only has a bandcamp link and no other information

Tanagra – links only, no information submitted

Dead Venus – links only, no information submitted.

Mockers – link only, no information submitted

Dreaming Madmen – In the archives under Crossover Prog

High Chair – no submission found

Evan Carson – link only, one line of information

Dimma – links only, no other information

Approaching the Silence – links only, no other information submitted

One Now Ago – no submission found

The Last Dodo – link only, no other information

Hovercraft – link only, no other information

Surreal Planet – links only, the only information submitted is “Amazing new band”.

As you can see, some of your submissions did get reviewed, and a couple of them were even cleared.  It seems none of your submissions had any information except for a few links.  We can't guarantee that your submissions will be reviewed if you haven't included any bio information as per the guidelines for artist submission.  The more information you can include, the better the chances that your submissions will be passed on to a team.  Please read the submission guidelines that are pinned to the top of the "Suggest New Bands and Artists" forum thread.  This site works best when we all work together.  Yes things get dropped sometimes, but usually a friendly reminder to a forum member will get you an answer.  We welcome new submissions, but make sure that you are providing as much information about the artist as possible.

Thank you!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 15:03
When I was fortunate enough to be offered a collab post on the neo team a few years ago, I also was given a slot on the new artists suggestion thread.

It drove me round the twist. Those were the days of Svet pushing through untold numbers of Bandcamp suggestions, much like the OP complaining here. It ruined my enjoyment of music, having to wade through endless hours of crap which would usually be completely ignored by the general public, and rightly.

Then we had the ridiculous row about adding Squackett, and I went off on a major rant starting a thread about the whole issue of sub-genres. I do not look back on any of this with fondness. I hated that period. I also take much of the blame for even starting that thread, because it destroyed some pretty good relationships I had built up on the site with admin and SCs.

The new guidance issued for artist suggestions was long overdue, and are extremely sensible. If you can’t be arsed to follow them, then tough.

I also repeat the points made above. All of this is done on a voluntary basis. It is extremely hard work. It would, BTW, still be a pain in the arse with your suggestions even if paid.

No sympathy whatsoever from here, I am afraid.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 15:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

The new guidance issued for artist suggestions was long overdue, and are extremely sensible. If you can’t be arsed to follow them, then tough.

This is pretty much what I came here to say, albeit with a little more verbiage. 

The new rules are there, clearly elucidated, and we as collabs expect everyone who is suggesting a band to follow these guidelines. I'm sorry if you feel restrained by having to do some legwork, but rest assured, if the bands you are suggesting really deserve to be on the site, someone else will find them and suggest them. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 16:48
We've added added over 250 artists so far this year, make better suggestions and provide better information in line with the guidelines.

Don't blame us, loads of great bands are being added ALL THE TIME
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2020 at 16:54
 Post Reply Post Reply