Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing Sub-genres: Big Big Train

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing Sub-genres: Big Big Train
    Posted: August 09 2020 at 16:15
I wasn't too sure where to put this, so I'll leave it here. I noticed recently that Harmonium was re-categorized from Symphonic Prog to Prog Folk; I know this is not something that usually happens on Prog Archives, but seeing it happen just this once made me want to ask: can we re-categorize Big Big Train from Crossover Prog to Symphonic Prog? I'm not really sure what the reasoning was behind putting them under Crossover in the first place, and every single one of their albums at least since 2009 (which is 7 albums, over half of their studio discography) is very definitively symphonic prog. They have lots of 12+ minute symphonic prog epics, including Victorian Brickwork, East Coast Racer, Brooklands, Brave Captain, A Mead Hall in Winter, Roman Stone, Ariel, and Voyager, along with the much lengthier The Underfall Yard and London Song; but even on shorter tracks such as Master James of St George, The First Rebreather, Judas Unrepentant, Summoned By Bells, The Permanent Way, Wassail, On the Racing Line, and The Florentine, they use lots of lush keyboards, complex time signatures, long instrumental sections, elements of various genres such as jazz, classical, and folk, as well as explorative lyricism, all of which are listed on the symphonic prog page as defining elements of symphonic prog. I know there isn't really a standard process for recategorizing as it doesn't happen very often, but I think this is a change that would be very valuable, as Big Big Train is in my opinion one of the best, if not the best, modern symphonic prog band, and I think it would be useful for new listeners to have them sorted as such.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 21:41
Thanks for your comment.

For re-classification, unanimous thumbs-ups in two teams (Crossover Team and Symphonic Team as for Big Big Train) should be needed, so it's a very tough matter.

Anyway I have no reason to kick them out of Crossover. 
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 00:24
Less about kicking them out of Crossover and more about them fitting better in Symphonic, but I understand :).
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
 Post Reply Post Reply