Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWahsington D.C. area?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wahsington D.C. area?
    Posted: October 01 2005 at 21:42

Whats up in the D.C. area/northern virginia/southern maryland? what are some good venues that have prog concerts with any regularity?

I know the state theatre has occasional prog concerts but only rarely

For that matter what are some good local prog bands

Peace

Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 01:54
I've seen good prog at the 9:30 Club, heck just saw Fripp and Porcupine Tree there. The State is a good one to keep an eye on, like you said. The Birchmere in Alexandria will occasionally have prog, I've seen Nektar, Caravan, and The Dregs up there. If you don't mind the drive to Baltimore, Omega Studios will sometimes have prog bands play in studio for an audience, kinda cool. Jaxx in Springfield will have some of the heavier prog acts there, I'm seeing Opeth there in Nov., with King's X the night before.Smile

As far as good local prog bands, the DC music scene seems to be comprised of very specific musical styles of which prog is not one. My band, Chicken Noodle Hammer, has had a heck of a time finding places that will allow us to play our style of music. We're not exactly prog, but kind of a 70's rock/jam band/prog hybrid (check us out at www.chickennoodlehammer.com if ya want). And we do cover tunes by Tull, Gong, and Roxy Music, that's kinda prog! But in answer to your question, the clubs here are very unfavorable to prog, so I honestly don't think I've ever seen a local band play straight prog. If ya ever hear of any, let me know.Thumbs Up

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 17:06

lol thanks yeah the one bad thing about the nations capital seems to be the local rock scene is more or less limited to crappy pop-punk and emo acts

thanks for the response though

TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 13:45
I am from Baltimore and it is difficult to catch prog acts around here.I was at the PT/Fripp show at the 9:30 Club and Omega Studios here in the city does bring in some prog acts.Usually when Dream Theater play here they play at the Pier Six Concert Pavilion,but it seems like a lot of prog acts bypass us.I gotta drive to Philly to see Opeth.

akiko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 19:28
Not much prog being played there except for The State and Jaxx in Springfield.  There is a band called "Brave" (www.bravemusic.com) that's pretty good.  They have a female singer and the drummer is very good.  Nipsey, thanks for the link to your band's site.     
Nipsey88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2005 at 20:20
Originally posted by akiko akiko wrote:

Not much prog being played there except for The State and Jaxx in Springfield.  There is a band called "Brave" (www.bravemusic.com) that's pretty good.  They have a female singer and the drummer is very good.  Nipsey, thanks for the link to your band's site.     

NP, hope you enjoy the music, there's a bunch of free mp3's on there. Yeah, I've seen Brave before opening for King's X I think. They were pretty good as I recall. Had never heard them before, or seen them since though.

progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 12:37
Yo, check out DC-SOAR (DC Society of Art Rockers) at www.dc-soar.org. They sponsor local shows on a regular basis and are made up completely of diehard proggers.

I don't think the DC scene is too bad. I've had pretty good luck with the 9:30 Club, the Black Cat, the Warehouse Nextdoor, and DC9, all within DC, lately... seen Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Porcupine Tree, Dungen, Ahleuchatistas, etc, and scads of good indie-rock and post-rock bands lately. Not to mention Los Jaivas at the Kennedy Center and a fair amount of good jazz (though DC's jazz scene in general is pretty anemic).

Also there's lots of activity at these yahoo groups:

dc-soar (yahoo group for the aforementioned DC-SOAR)

dc-improv-announce (announcement list for DC avant-garde rock and jazz shows)

Baltimore-Washingtonnewmusic (announcement list for shows in the Balt/Wash metro area, mostly avant-garde jazz and classical though)
progreviews View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2005 at 12:41
Oh and! I can't believe I forgot the Baltimore Progressive Rock Showcase series at Orion Sound Studios. They have awesome bands there, over the years they've had Bill Bruford, Djam Karet, Happy the Man, French TV, Thinking Plague, Discipline, Kopecky, Deus ex Machina, Present, Amarok, Trettioariga Kriget, Alamaailman Vasarat, and tons more... upcoming shows include Far Corner and Frogg Cafe.

Check 'em out!
 Post Reply Post Reply