Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Same topic in different forum categories?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Same topic in different forum categories?
    Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:12
Why is it that some topics pop up in different categories? Like The Hawkwind Marathon in both Lounge and Appreciation and . I sometimes question my own mind when using this forum. Reading a topic in one subcategory only to find the same in another category.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:16
That's interesting - I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out. I can't explain it though, it needs someone with greater powers than me.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:19
The Hawkwind thread has a green arrow saying that it was moved.  It was probably originally posted in the wrong area of the forum and than subsequently moved by an admin.  I'm not sure why it shows up in both sections unless it is a temporary deal, or unless maybe if you saw it when it was originally posted it still shows up there and in the new location???  That part is a mystery to me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:24
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Why is it that some topics pop up in different categories? Like The Hawkwind Marathon in both Lounge and Appreciation and . I sometimes question my own mind when using this forum. Reading a topic in one subcategory only to find the same in another category.

It's one of the vagaries of ProgArchives that when a topic or thread is moved from one forum to another by a forum moderator, the topic or thread still remains behind in the original forum it was posted in, so it now appears in two places at once in both the old and new location. I hope that answers your question without being too long-winded. Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:29
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's one of the vagaries of ProgArchives that when a topic or thread is moved from one forum to another by a forum moderator, the topic or thread still remains behind in the original forum it was posted in, so it now appears in two places at once in both the old and new location. I hope that answers your question without being too long-winded. Smile

I'm guessing it's an intermittent fault. Topics get moved a lot and this is the first time I've seen one appear in two places at once, but maybe I just haven't noticed before.

Or it could be due to a tear in the space time continuum.

Edited by chopper - October 03 2020 at 10:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:35
^ Yes, it's the PA equivalent of Doctor Who's TARDIS, which, as every Doctor Who fan will know, stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space. Smile
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 11:05
When a topic is moved, the admins can let it still show in the area it was moved from to help people find where it was moved. Later, they can remove it from its original area. There is no glitch going on here, just an admin decision to help people find where a topic has been moved.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 11:09
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

When a topic is moved, the admins can let it still show in the area it was moved from to help people find where it was moved. Later, they can remove it from its original area. There is no glitch going on here, just an admin decision to help people find where a topic has been moved.

Ah thanks, I guess I've not been paying attention!
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 13:45
That explains it. I’m familiar with the concept, but perhaps not that the topic is still bumped upwards by new posts in the original category. At least it seemed like a few topics were hanging around in the top half of each category.

If there is a green arrow, maybe I can’t see it since I’m primarily on mobile. Or look in the wrong place.

Thanks for the explanations. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 14:03

If there is a green arrow, maybe I can’t see it since I’m primarily on mobile. Or look in the wrong place.

I'd never noticed those green arrows either before today and I'm on a laptop. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply