Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 06:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, people mentioned it on here and I listened to it on youtube and it definitely sounds like the beginning part is chopped off. 
You can hear the decay of the first tom hit at the beginning of the song. Granted it's a micro second, but noticable. If it was correct, there would be no decay of the tom. It is definitely an error during the mastering of the CD/LP. Still a good album.

The Wobbler folk may be listening to another mix/master and not the release sold to the general public.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 03 2020 at 06:24
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 09:43
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, people mentioned it on here and I listened to it on youtube and it definitely sounds like the beginning part is chopped off. 
You can hear the decay of the first tom hit at the beginning of the song. Granted it's a micro second, but noticable. If it was correct, there would be no decay of the tom. It is definitely an error during the mastering of the CD/LP. Still a good album.

The Wobbler folk may be listening to another mix/master and not the release sold to the general public.
We are talking about offical releases on CD, Bandcamp, LP, Spotify, Youtube or whatever.

I choose to believe those who made the music when they say something is not cut off. Not that it makes any difference whatsoever.

Edited by Zeph - November 03 2020 at 09:44
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 12:02
^Makes a difference to me. I guess the only way to know for sure is to hear them play it live.
higi88 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote higi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2020 at 12:06
Once again Wobbler gave the prog rock world another masterpiece. I've listened to this album so many times and with each listen it gets better and better. Beautiful mix of heavy, symphonic, eclectic music makes this album in my opinion one of the best prog albums of all time. After they made From silence to somewhere I could not wait to see what will they do next and now after hearing this album I know this band is only getting better. I will not compare them to any of the classic 70's bands I will only say that Wobbler now has their own trademark sound. By the banks is the greatest album opener ever, that riff made my mind explode it's so heavy and it welcomes you to a unforgettable journey, Five rooms is a unstoppable prog force, brilliant drumming and amazing bass playing, Naiad Dreams is a great passage to epic 19 minutes Merry Macabre fantastic closer, the end of the song is a perfect end of this perfect album.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 15:29
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

My second copy, the green marble variant, arrived in remarkable time. Shipped from Spain on the 23rd, arrived in LA yesterday, and arrived on my door step in NY today. It looks pretty cool, but its a lot darker than the pictures showed. People who got the red and yellow variant came out on top, the pictures looked ugly but in reality it looks sick.

I received my green marble LP today, and yes it is a bit dark. Looks great held up to a light though. It would have looked better solid marble, instead of transparent. 

It's a slow burner for me, and it's improved with each listen. Not as good as FSTS though imo.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2020 at 14:45
Where's the anacrusis???

"By The Banks" does sound like the beginning is clipped and I'm okay with that as it gives the album a lot of inertia...

Although Marius has stated otherwise. He should know, right?
The Prog Corner
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 02:43
first listen, I don't understand the hype and the high rating, maybe needs more listens (although it's not a challenging listen), but I'm not that impressed TBH. 
Opening song stands out for me... so far... 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 03:02
After a few listens, I don't think the album is as good as Rites @ Dawn but I do understand the hype actually. As for the high rating, well, tbh I don't care about the collective rating. Whether it's metacritic or this site, it makes no sense and you can never tell just by looking at the collective average rating if the production is any good. It's meaningless.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 08:34
Rites is a bit underrated and the last two are a bit overrated...but all very good albums....
and these last 3 albums are the best albums Yes never made.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 17:03
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^Makes a difference to me. I guess the only way to know for sure is to hear them play it live.

Use your ears, people! Listen to the riff when it enters again around the 12 minute mark. It's the way it's supposed to be.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 18:31
Unlike their last album which i enjoyed listening to many times, this one seems less inspiring and it's already fizzled out. Great album but not as good as Silence

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2020 at 19:55
I loved this release, this was like a collaboration mix of Camel/Caravan meets King Crimson/YES and they all make an album together

I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 02:44
I just received the new one last week and am very much enjoying the tunes. To me they sound like Yes making albums between The Yes Album and Fragile...which just so happens to be my favourite period of the band.
Sure they don’t sound ‘fresh’ or ‘unique’ yet they are highly convincing in what they’re trying to achieve much thanks to the clever and down to earth production. Their last two albums truly sound like long lost (well-recorded) albums from 1971-1973.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 03:14

I don't know this band.....will look into it.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 06:39
Thanks to all the enthusiasm expressed here on the new Wobbler album I listened to it, but it won't change my stance on this band (which is the same I have regarding e.g. Änglagård). It is a good and pleasant listen, but to me it sounds more like a 70s prog tribute band - mixing elements from different bands - writing their own material. It lacks originality and I it also lacks spontaneity. So many times, while listening, I am thinking "oh here they sound like Yes' Awaken, here they try some Gentle Giant and there some Genesis..."
Again, it is a good listen - I would rate it three stars (but I'm actually not rating albums on PA) - but I actually prefer their previous album which had a bit more originality in it.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 11:05
Like the album but it's not anywhere near the brilliant From Silence.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 12:03
Listening to Wobbler....
https://youtu.be/YiZwrB50vlw
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 16:52
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thanks to all the enthusiasm expressed here on the new Wobbler album I listened to it, but it won't change my stance on this band (which is the same I have regarding e.g. Änglagård). It is a good and pleasant listen, but to me it sounds more like a 70s prog tribute band - mixing elements from different bands - writing their own material. It lacks originality and I it also lacks spontaneity. So many times, while listening, I am thinking "oh here they sound like Yes' Awaken, here they try some Gentle Giant and there some Genesis..."
Again, it is a good listen - I would rate it three stars (but I'm actually not rating albums on PA) - but I actually prefer their previous album which had a bit more originality in it.
I hope you'll get the chance to witness Wobbler live, as it has a lot of improvisation, energy and spontaneity. What you must not forget is that Wobbler is a BAND. Every musician here has their own voice. A lot of new "prog" is just plain studio productions, people sending each other tracks from different corners of the world. Wobbler did it together and have SOUL. And absolutely great musicianship.

As for Änglagård, I think they have developed their own unique sound, which is a blend of 20th century classical music, Swedish folk and avantgarde rock. I'm interested to hear what you think is good music.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2020 at 16:02
I finally listened to this from their Bandcamp page today. It's a great album and might even have a chance of making my top 10. Another one to add to the list of CDs to get.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123