Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Trilogy of Prog Books (in Finnish)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Trilogy of Prog Books (in Finnish)
    Posted: October 26 2020 at 05:24
(This is mainly aimed at my Finnish countrymen, especially for those who are not in Facebook and its Finnish prog group.)

I'm proud to announce that the final book on my progressive rock trilogy will be released in January 2021.
It will be available from e.g. Akateeminen Kirjakauppa, Levykauppa Äx, booky.fi -- and of course directly from me.

Unisatama - Progressiivinen rock 1980-2020  
  deals with over 600 bands/artists from all over the globe (U.K., Europe, USA, Canada, Latin America, Japan, Australia and the rest of the world). 
Approx. 400 pages.

The former books are sold out, but they can be borrowed from libraries all over Finland:

Aamunkoiton portit - Progressiivinen rock 1967-1979  (2013, 384 pages; updated edition 2017, 400 pages).

Prog Finlandia  (2016) covers the whole history of Finnish prog in 336 pages.

(Aamunkoiton portit means The Gates of Dawn, referring to the Pink Floyd debut, and Unisatama means The Dream Harbour, referring to the Willowglass album.)

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 07:37
Congratulations!!
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 04:49
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Congratulations!!

Thanks! Smile

To my countrymen here I have a suggestion: please, ask your local library to order Unisatama.   

Thus you'll help spreading the word of prog! Clap
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2021 at 13:11
It's now about five months when Unisatama was released. The feedback and reviews have been very favourable. ☺
   Over 340 copies have been sold, but recently it has become harder and harder to find new buyers. Compared to the number of sold copies (500 + 400, counting the two editions) of my first prog book covering the years 1967-1979, it's clear that a prog book covering the years 1980-2020 appeals to a smaller group of people. A pity.

In case some Finnish-speaking PA member gets interested, I have lowered the price of Unisatama down to 27 euros including domestic post. Just send me a private message!
SoundsofManala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 14:57
This is a very good trilogy indeed! I have read them all. I'm thinking of buying Unisatama but haven't ordered it yet...

Conform or be cast out.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2021 at 23:34
Thanks! I'd be pleased to send you one.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 01:07
if I could read Finnish, I’d definitely be interested in any book about Finnish prog - one of the most fascinating countries in the world, to me, when it comes to music (prog or not).

SoundsofManala View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SoundsofManala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 08:12
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

if I could read Finnish, I’d definitely be interested in any book about Finnish prog - one of the most fascinating countries in the world, to me, when it comes to music (prog or not).

Somebody should really translate it in English. It goes very deep. Maybe an e-book?

Conform or be cast out.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 08:35
Onnittelut! Jos voisin puhua suomea ilman kääntäjää, ostan ne mielelläni! Käännätkö ne englanniksi?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 08:58
Well, the idea of translating especially Prog Finlandia into English surely exists. 
If I decide to do it someday, I'll let you all know! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply