Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marillion ( script for a jesters tear )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion ( script for a jesters tear )
    Posted: October 27 2020 at 12:52
This for my ears is what i believe marillions , Best album with FISH .I also have listened to childhoods end and clutching at straws .The magic of this album is not only the lyrics but the production as well ,best song for me is GARDEN PARTY the worst song for me is THE WEB the rest are good butthe song that gave me the chills is HE KNOWS YOU KNOW i believe it is about the evils of drug addiction.The closing track FORGOTTEN SONGS is truly epic overall one fantastic record for prog fans,thank you for taking some time out of your day to read GRANT.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 14:31
Personally, I find that Forgotten Sons is even better than Forgotten Songs, but personal taste, and all that...Wink
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 14:53
the only Marillion album I own (or still own), and I bought it at release time after hearing HKYK on the radio. Love every track, but a preference for Chelsea Monday

Oddly enough I ddn't like what came before it (discovered well after with B-sides)

And TBH, I didn't like much Childhood or Fugazi, and maybe Straws is their second best with Fish at the mic.

Edited by Sean Trane - October 27 2020 at 14:59
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2020 at 15:02
Why are you not even mentioning 'Fugazi'? For me this is the best Fish-era album, the drama and the emotions that come along with this album are purely unforgettable, and I think they come pretty close to the same level of expressionism on 'Script', and touch it slightly on a few tracks on 'Misplaced Childhood' and 'Clutching'.
Definitely the superior album from their 80s output, IMO.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 04:22
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Why are you not even mentioning 'Fugazi'? For me this is the best Fish-era album, the drama and the emotions that come along with this album are purely unforgettable, and I think they come pretty close to the same level of expressionism on 'Script', and touch it slightly on a few tracks on 'Misplaced Childhood' and 'Clutching'.

it's a thread about Script... I guess.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:32
It's the best album they ever made IMO, even though it lacks the percussive talents of Ian Mosely.

It has a unique atmosphere about it. The other Fish albums are all pretty good though. Fugazi being the next best, and with MC and CAS fairy equal in my view.

I've little interest in the Hogarth era.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:39
For me its not their crowning glory, many very good songs on the album. I struggle connecting with Mick Pointer, he does not add the flavor that Mosley does.

I think had this album been a later album for them it could easily be a masterpc.....it lacks a bit from being the young album in their career. I can't call it their best, because as the first album that implies everything else after was chasing Script......I don't find that to be the case at all.

Edited by Catcher10 - October 28 2020 at 08:41
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:48
Saw them in '82/3 on the strength of Market Square Heroes and Script. They went, IMHO, rapidly downhill from there. 

They didn't play Grendel, either. ;-)

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 18:14
Garden Party is obviously the stand out track , especially with live audience participation.  (''I'm f**king!!'')

However Fugazi and the second half of Misplaced Childhood are much more to my liking . Prog needed a band that could connect with the 80's. Marillion managed that but only after they got their Genesis hero worship out of the way. For me they never did anything better than Assassing. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2020 at 21:37
I have every Marillion album including most of their live albums (which are usually better than their studio counterparts) and in my opinion Script is their best album. I'm a great fan of the H-era albums also but none quite match their first up effort.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 00:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Personally, I find that Forgotten Sons is even better than Forgotten Songs, but personal taste, and all that...Wink

woooo slow down that`s way to deep to think about LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 00:19
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

it's a thread about Script... I guess.  

Cristi That`s LOL  

But i do agree with ACrimsonMellotron post FUGAZI awesome 

Music Is Live

<
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 00:22
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Garden Party is obviously the stand out track , especially with live audience participation.  (''I'm f**king!!'')

However Fugazi and the second half of Misplaced Childhood are much more to my liking . Prog needed a band that could connect with the 80's. Marillion managed that but only after they got their Genesis hero worship out of the way. For me they never did anything better than Assassing. 

Argh! why oh why the "Genesis" tag! that`s all the press went on about through the 80`s

Music Is Live

<
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2020 at 01:58
I never thought of them as being Genesis copyists at the time. They were just Marillion, and I thought them fairly unique. As I discovered more prog I could hear that Gabriel-esque rasp in Fish's voice, but his softer moments - especially on Script - were more like Hammill.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 14:51
Really my favourite album from them, closely followed by Childhood. And no, I never really thought they had a particular similarity to Genesis, besides the fact that both are prog, and that Fish does sound very similar to Gabriel.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 14:53
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Garden Party is the one song I don't really like on this album, and about Fugazi, I haven't actually heard it, but given the songs from that album that I have heard on several live albums, it seems it would be my least favourite of the Fish era.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 07:46
Came to Marillion after Fish left, only got his albums in this millennium! MC and CAS are both awesome, Script has grown on me over the years but not in their league IMHO...
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 11:51
the most important album in my life, even though I was born 3.5 years after it release Check the Script acoustic medley I made a while ago:

Post Reply Post Reply